Hunt down Shen mission from Bobcat

eknudson

Bobcat's "Hunt down Shen" mission may be the most insane mission I've played in regular, non-task force content in this game.

Not long after entering the mission, you're attacked by a horde of minions. A literal horde--twentysomething minions all at once. They can be one-shot by many of your powers, but they do a fair amount of damage when they hit. They don't give xp, or inspirations. They see through stealth. They follow you down elevators.  And there is more than one such horde. When you fight through them to get to the boss, he calls yet another horde of about 20 minions-- and defeating the boss does NOT bring up the exit button, you have to beat all of them or run through them to get out.

Is there a mission like this blue or red side that I've missed?

• 3 years later

No, there isn't, really.   Yellowside was designed with the idea that you'd have already played the game as a hero or villain already and thus know you way around the game.  As such, the content is significantly harder.

Posted Feb 2020.

Answered April, 2023.

Seriously, can we get a limit to necroing threads?

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

12 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Posted Feb 2020.

Answered April, 2023.

damn, i never realized it was necro.  but then again, i barely notice the dead.  

look like a normal question / response lololol

• Like 1

I'm beginning to wonder if folks are bringing back ancient threads just to mess with Greycat...😶....😏....hmmm.

On topic, I love gold side as a litmus test for builds. It's like New York: if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.

• Like 2

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

12 hours ago, Greycat said:

Posted Feb 2020.

Answered April, 2023.

it only bothers you if it bothers you

• Like 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

It's a little like some of the early Vahz missions, the first with ambushes, IIRC, where you suddenly have a mob following you around the zone. Pretty freaky if you're not aware it's going to happen.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

18 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

I'm beginning to wonder if folks are bringing back ancient threads just to mess with Greycat...😶....😏....hmmm.

Oh boy, we're about to get an increase in necro threads, aren't we? 

And I'm all out of popcorn. Sadwright.

Bobcat.  Just the thought of her arc makes me want to vomit in real life.  I don't know if that makes the game designer who built her a sick demented psycho or a true genius who can evoke a physical response in real life with their virtual creation.  I actually think it's more of the first part because the big reason I hate her is because there's too much "Godmode"-ing in the arc.  I don't have an option punch her in the face instead of doing her missions, which is what I want to do.  I consider this poor game design.  But still, they managed to make a villian who I really hate, IRL on personality alone.  None of the other contacts even have enough personality for me to remember what it is, much less feel anything.  I hate her so much that even though I have intentionally run "all the gold side arcs" on several toons, locking xp at 9 and 14 so I complete all 4 arcs at each level, I actually cheat and skip her arc when doing this.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

• 7 months later
On 4/15/2023 at 4:13 AM, Shred Monkey said:

Bobcat.  Just the thought of her arc makes me want to vomit in real life.  I don't know if that makes the game designer who built her a sick demented psycho or a true genius who can evoke a physical response in real life with their virtual creation.  I actually think it's more of the first part because the big reason I hate her is because there's too much "Godmode"-ing in the arc.  I don't have an option punch her in the face instead of doing her missions, which is what I want to do.  I consider this poor game design.  But still, they managed to make a villian who I really hate, IRL on personality alone.  None of the other contacts even have enough personality for me to remember what it is, much less feel anything.  I hate her so much that even though I have intentionally run "all the gold side arcs" on several toons, locking xp at 9 and 14 so I complete all 4 arcs at each level, I actually cheat and skip her arc when doing this.

That's kind of funny-  Like, I don't *like* Bobcat, by any measure, but I find her antics amusing in that "Watching a train wreck" sort of way.   She's pathetic and scheming, and ultimately, all she really wants is attention, and is willing to casually resort to murder to get it.  She's like a cat if it were a person, appropriately.   If you talk to her about what happened to her villainside, after the Tin Mage Task Force, she *almost* comes across as sympathetic when she goes over Neuron attempting to sacrifice her to Hamidon to save himself.   She murdered him for it, of course.

On 4/14/2023 at 4:40 AM, Greycat said:

I hate necro limits on every forum I've seen them. What is even the mindset behind it? Is a public forum topic a private exchange between the OP and whoever answers? Obviously not, else these would be DMs, not public. The whole point of forum content being public is the possibility it may be of interest to anyone else.

Admittedly, there are topics that are... topical. Say this related to an event of early 2020 specifically. "hey guys what's happening for the next anniversary?" With no mention of date. Then, you could assume people are going to be confused about the anniversary and will reply wrongly.

This is the absolute best steelman argument I can make for the necro hate. Even then, I consider it a weak argument. There's no telling what might interest anyone. Perhaps it will be cool to someone to have a window into historical interest for past game anniversaries (to keep on with the previous example).

Outside of those time-sensitive topics, the wide majority of subjects can be as relevant today as they were then. Discussing the Hunt down Shen mission from Bobcat is most certainly as interesting today as it was 3 years ago. Nothing changed on that front. Except builds are stronger with wider access to early SOs? Now *that* would be interesting too, if sentiment emerged in that direction, if most of us now felt Praetorian content is easy enough. So I would amend the previous statement to say: nothing changed on that front *to make the topic invalid*.

In fact, it is extremely rare in life for the addition of time to turn a matter of discussion worse rather than better. Remember the golden rule: ideas > events > people. The more we talk about something outside of a narrowly focused prism in time, the more rewarding the conversations tend to be. The Shen mission discussion is more interesting with +3 years of accumulated experience than it was in early 2020.

Classic forums have a simple mechanism for content relevance, order by most recent reply. It is to me a much more superior scheme than all the upvote nonsense and algorithm feed newer platforms have tried.

It also gives any hypothetical hater of "old" matters direct power to influence discourse: avoid replying to what you don't like. It *is* that easy! No need for extra rules to restrict the range of acceptable conversation.

Time is good. Stop hating time.

/rant

Edited by nihilii
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1