Truth or Legend: AoE Tags

oedipus_tex

The legend I heard some time ago is that all Ranged AoE blasts are tagged as both AoE and Ranged. This would mean you dodge the attack using either your Ranged or AoE value.

I just looked through Mids at several powers and all the ranged AoE blasts are tagged as AoEs, with no Range tag. Are enemy powers tagged differently or did I just hear wrong? 

The raw game data is viewable on Index Obscurum, here's for example a Blaster's Fire Ball. Under Attack Types, you can see it's listed as AOE and Fire, but not ranged. For comparison, Inferno is tagged exactly the same, despite being a PBAoE (rather than a targeted AoE).

Edit: Whoops, you asked about enemies.

I don't have enemy attacks on IO yet, but checking my local data, it's the same set up after examining several attacks, they aren't tagged as both. If they were, AoE defense wouldn't be considered worthwhile to build towards.

Edited by Sif

Actually, I decided to be not lazy, and out of every power in the game, these are the only ones that have more than one positional tag (all of which are ranged + aoe):

Power: Missile Launcher (5thColumn.Fifth_Column_Minion_Soldier_Heavy.Missile_Launcher) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Musket (BanishedPantheon.Banished_Minion_Ranged.Musket) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Sleep Gas (Crey.Crey_Lt_Boss_Armored_GrenadeLauncher.Sleep_Gas) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Musket (Event.Zombie_Ranged.Musket) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Grenade Launcher Sleep Grenade (Guns.Grenade_Launcher.Grenade_Launcher_Sleep_Grenade) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Missile Launcher (Portal.Axis_America_Missile.Missile_Launcher) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Particle Cannon (Temporary_Powers.Temporary_Powers.Particle_Cannon) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Smoke Grenade (V_ParagonPolice.Grenade_Launcher.Smoke_Grenade) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Venomous Spray (V_Snakes.Boss_Low.Venomous_Spray) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Venomous Spray (V_Snakes.Elder_Cobra.Venomous_Spray) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Venomous Spray (V_Snakes.Stheno.Venomous_Spray) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Venomous Spray (Vahzilok.Facemaker.Venomous_Spray) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true

So there are a few, but they're quite rare (I wouldn't be surprised if they were accidental as well). Like the BP Musket, while it's tagged as AoE + Ranged, the display help doesn't mention AoE, and it's not an AoE either.

Edited by Sif
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, Sif said:

Actually, I decided to be not lazy, and out of every power in the game, these are the only ones that have more than one positional tag (all of which are ranged + aoe):

Power: Missile Launcher (5thColumn.Fifth_Column_Minion_Soldier_Heavy.Missile_Launcher) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Musket (BanishedPantheon.Banished_Minion_Ranged.Musket) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Sleep Gas (Crey.Crey_Lt_Boss_Armored_GrenadeLauncher.Sleep_Gas) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Musket (Event.Zombie_Ranged.Musket) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Grenade Launcher Sleep Grenade (Guns.Grenade_Launcher.Grenade_Launcher_Sleep_Grenade) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Missile Launcher (Portal.Axis_America_Missile.Missile_Launcher) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Particle Cannon (Temporary_Powers.Temporary_Powers.Particle_Cannon) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Smoke Grenade (V_ParagonPolice.Grenade_Launcher.Smoke_Grenade) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Venomous Spray (V_Snakes.Boss_Low.Venomous_Spray) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Venomous Spray (V_Snakes.Elder_Cobra.Venomous_Spray) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Venomous Spray (V_Snakes.Stheno.Venomous_Spray) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true
Power: Venomous Spray (Vahzilok.Facemaker.Venomous_Spray) has ranged: true, melee: false, aoe: true

So there are a few, but they're quite rare (I wouldn't be surprised if they were accidental as well). Like the BP Musket, while it's tagged as AoE + Ranged, the display help doesn't mention AoE, and it's not an AoE either.

Is there a way to save a post? This is fantastic information that I'm sure to look up again someday. Thanks for the data

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Don't take this to the bank, but a long time ago, I recall one individual on the forums, who after exhaustively reading through all enemy powers realized that all enemy mob AOE attacks were also classified as Ranged attacks, except 5 or 6 attacks relegated such as Maurader's Nova Fist, any mob's Footstomp (Chronos Titan, Greater Devoured, etc.

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

How'd you do that?

not be lazy?  well.. um.. *yawn*... maybe I can explain it better after my nap.   Or someone else will do it..  you know.. .whatever.

• Haha 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I decided to be lazy.  I half read this post and determined it has little to no effect on how i build or play. Ranged def on squishies and s/l on melee and deal with when that falls to crap

when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a ....i need some more enhancements in this hammer

Edited by Snarky

8 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

How'd you do that?

I developed a parser for the game's pigg/bin files, and can process all the power related data. I've been using it to build Index Obscurum, which I intend to be a City of Data-alike site and possibly more.

To get the information above, I scanned through every power and printed out any that had more than 1 positional flag set.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3