Solarverse's SFX Consolidated List of Mods

• 2 weeks later
On 4/17/2020 at 7:50 PM, Alpha-One said:

Do you take requests? I love the Bots' transformers SFX, but what would be awesome is giving Mercs the ol' 80s A-Team/Rambo fake gunfire SFX. 😄

I'll take that into consideration the next time I feel up to doing a large project. It took awhile to put together the Bots mod, I imagine it will take just as long to do a Mercs mod. FYI, I have always felt like the Mercs had some pretty cheesy sound effects, I have had my eye on that one a bit. Short answer...it could happen.  😉

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 9:41 PM, Bolt of Purity said:

Thanks for the sounds and effort SV, great work!

I really like the ranged elec sounds and wondered if you could do a similar update for the melee set? Especially Jacob's Ladder, I've always found that SFX very under whelming...

Thanks heaps! 👍

I'll take a look at it. I always liked the Elec Melee SFX though. I do agree with you on Jacob's Ladder though, I just might do a Mod just for that one power...but who knows, once I get started on it, it might take me into doing the whole set. I wouldn't change much though, maybe add to what is already there with a bit more flashy sounds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
  • 4 weeks later
On 4/14/2020 at 9:41 PM, Bolt of Purity said:

Thanks for the sounds and effort SV, great work!

I really like the ranged elec sounds and wondered if you could do a similar update for the melee set? Especially Jacob's Ladder, I've always found that SFX very under whelming...

Thanks heaps! 👍

So I took a spin at your request, more specifically Jacob's Ladder. I could not find the file associated for that power anywhere. I found the effects, but the effects I found were not correctly associated with the file name. You have to have the file name to apply any changes. I'm curious, is the sound effect different for villain side? I found the old school villain SFX for Jacob's Ladder, but since I don't play red side anymore, I don't know if that got the same treatment as the hero version or if red side still uses the original sound bite. If this is the case, then I can change it because I found it...but if it uses the same SFX as hero side, then no. The file does not exist on client side and it cannot be changed.

On 5/30/2020 at 11:21 PM, Solarverse said:

Yes...and done. Posted.  🙂  Hope you enjoy.

It's magnificent. It didn't quite get everything on my /Psi Dominator but it changed enough to make that character so much more exciting!

4 hours ago, NodHero said:

It's magnificent. It didn't quite get everything on my /Psi Dominator but it changed enough to make that character so much more exciting!

The only thing it should have missed was the AoEs. ?

On 5/30/2020 at 11:21 PM, Solarverse said:

Yes...and done. Posted.  🙂  Hope you enjoy.

I just wanted to come back and say thank you again for this sound mod.

It turned one of my characters (so far) from "I love this character concept but I can't stand the game play" into "I can't wait to play this character again!"

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NodHero said:

I just wanted to come back and say thank you again for this sound mod.

It turned one of my characters (so far) from "I love this character concept but I can't stand the game play" into "I can't wait to play this character again!"

I'm doing something similar with Bubbles. In my mind Bubbles are sort of a Psionic ability, so I am giving them similar sound effects. I am not finished with it yet, but once it's finished, I'll post it here. I think even @The Philotic Knight would enjoy the new mod once finished, and he's probably the biggest advocate for Bubbles that I know of.  🙂

1 hour ago, Botzoman said:

Really gotta say, I've been a pretty big fan of the new Beam sounds and I'm gonna give the new Psionic blast + Kinetic melee packs a go this weekend. Thank you SO much for making these.

You are very welcome.  🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 6/20/2020 at 10:13 PM, Isiz said:

Any chance of doing the energy blasters?

Probably not. I love the SFX for Energy and it takes a lot of time to create new and unique sounds for power sets. If you have a specific sound you want them changed to, you can toss it at me and I could make you something just for you, but as far as me creating a new sound and adding it to Energy, that probably wouldn't happen...way too much work for something that I love as is.

• 2 weeks later

WARNING!!!

These SFX Mods are designed for the Game to play back only! City of Heroes plays back the volume at a much different level than the actual file has them set to. In the event that you wish to play them back manually, NEVER play back these sound files in any way without first turning the volume down on your Laptop/PC. The game plays back volumes at a far lower level than your PC/Laptop will, and if you play back the files without first turning down your volume, you can possibly cause damage to your speakers!

So these are just some random mods that are more QoL Mods than anything else. I have taken some of the most complained about SFX in game and decreased the volume of those sounds. As of right now, it is just Arctic Air and Arctic Fog, but more will follow as time goes by. So if you ever have a sound that is too loud and it bothers you, always check here for updates to see if you find the one that applies to the sound that gives you problems. I am not sure how many mods can fit on one post, so if I run out of file size space, I will continue in another post and link that post here.

Arctic Air and Arctic Fog Destination:

Data\Sound\Ogg\Powers

Softens the volume of Arctic Air and Arctic Fog

Umbra Dark Wolf Pet Destination:

Data\Sound\Ogg\Dog

Softens the volume of the Dark Wolf Howls

Necro MM Amplified Walk-in Silencer

Data\Sound\Ogg\Powers

Puts a Silencer on the Necro Master Mind's stacking buff effects when you enter missions. Side Effect is that it makes Twilight Miasma almost impossible to hear. Only use this one if you are fine with the side effects.

Arctic_Air_Easy_Listening.zip Arctic_Fog_Loop_Ear_Saver.zip Howling_Mod_Custom.zip

Necro_Ear_Saver.zip

Edited by Solarverse

Nice work.  Any chance at looking at the MM upgrade powers?  Every time you zone with your upgraded pets it literally plays and stacks the 2 upgrade power sound effects x 6 pets all at once.  It is insanely loud.  Necro "enchant undead" and "dark empowerment" get my award for loudest.  I end up having to turn down my sound and then back up every time I zone (when I can remember).

1 hour ago, Riverdusk said:

Nice work.  Any chance at looking at the MM upgrade powers?  Every time you zone with your upgraded pets it literally plays and stacks the 2 upgrade power sound effects x 6 pets all at once.  It is insanely loud.  Necro "enchant undead" and "dark empowerment" get my award for loudest.  I end up having to turn down my sound and then back up every time I zone (when I can remember).

I'll look in to it. I can locate the SFX for it and decrease the volume, but that will also decrease the volume of the single application of it as well. As long as you are okay with that, I can check it out and post it up.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I'll look in to it. I can locate the SFX for it and decrease the volume, but that will also decrease the volume of the single application of it as well. As long as you are okay with that, I can check it out and post it up.

No problem with that at all.  My pets don't die very often so not something I use much anyway. 

1 hour ago, Riverdusk said:

No problem with that at all.  My pets don't die very often so not something I use much anyway. 

Done...and was able to do it without affecting the single application, because oddly enough, it uses two different sound bites. The sound bite for entering missions is completely separate. When entering a mission it should from here on out be no louder than any of your other powers.

One thing to note that I noticed during testing: The stacking effect varies depending on how many zone in at one time. I noticed sometimes 2 or 3 zone in all at once, then the rest zone in and other times they all zone in at the same time. So test it out and see how you like it, if need be I can lower it further.

Side Effect: It has a negative impact on Twilight Grasp since it used the same sound bite. I'm going to try and tweak it a bit so you can at least hear your Twilight Grasp. TBA

Edited by Solarverse
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Done...and was able to do it without affecting the single application, because oddly enough, it uses two different sound bites. The sound bite for entering missions is completely separate. When entering a mission it should from here on out be no louder than any of your other powers.

One thing to note that I noticed during testing: The stacking effect varies depending on how many zone in at one time. I noticed sometimes 2 or 3 zone in all at once, then the rest zone in and other times they all zone in at the same time. So test it out and see how you like it, if need be I can lower it further.

Side Effect: It has a negative impact on Twilight Grasp since it used the same sound bite.

Yes, noticed sometimes I'd zone and the sound wouldn't be as bad, so probably what you noticed during testing.  I'd say vast majority of time it'd be ear splitting though.

Anyway, tried it and it is amazing, MUCH better.  And you made it so easy.  Thank you!

My necro is necro/sonic so the twilight grasp thing doesn't affect me.  If I switch to character that does use it I can switch the file out easily enough if it is a bother to me (doubtful it would be anyway).

1 minute ago, Riverdusk said:

Yes, noticed sometimes I'd zone and the sound wouldn't be as bad, so probably what you noticed during testing.  I'd say vast majority of time it'd be ear splitting though.

Anyway, tried it and it is amazing, MUCH better.  And you made it so easy.  Thank you!

My necro is necro/sonic so the twilight grasp thing doesn't affect me.  If I switch to character that does use it I can switch the file out easily enough if it is a bother to me (doubtful it would be anyway).

Good deal, I'll try and find a happy medium in the meantime...or find another sound all together that doesn't have variations in tone and pitch.

4 minutes ago, Riverdusk said:

Yes, noticed sometimes...

Nope, even if I turn it up to where you can slightly hear it, it overpowers when stacked. I'm going to see if I can find something else to replace it with that will fit the theme.

1 minute ago, Solarverse said:

Nope, even if I turn it up to where you can slightly hear it, it overpowers when stacked. I'm going to see if I can find something else to replace it with that will fit the theme.

Maybe keep offering both version if you do come up with another.  Have to say I love it just the way it is now.

10 minutes ago, Riverdusk said:

Maybe keep offering both version if you do come up with another.  Have to say I love it just the way it is now.

Good deal, just didn't want you to have to pull the file out and put it back in every time you wanted to switch back and forth between your MM and your Dark character. Also trying to consider anyone who plays the Necro/Dark.

P.S. Yeah, it doesn't matter what I do, the stacking is just over powering. Unfortunately I won't be able to do much better than practically silencing it when used by itself in order to get the volume down enough while stacked. Typically I loved the stacking effect, but I can see how this particular one can get super annoying. Foot Stomp for example, I wouldn't be able to play that set without the stacking effect, but this one has got to go, lol.

Glad I could help nonetheless.

Edited by Solarverse