Solarverse's SFX Consolidated List of Mods

1 hour ago, Redlynne said:

I just opened the .ogg file in my web browser and nearly blew out my speakers.

File has been adjusted. Pull out your current FemTaunt10.ogg file and replace it with the new one and see if that's better. I have only been able to test it solo, which it is fine solo....but due to the pitch of the Panther Roar, I have a strong feeling it will be hard to hear on teams. Would you care to give me some feedback in a team situation?

I'm not going to use either Taunt sound mod, but thanks for including the warning (now) in the OP.

I'm just thinking in terms that I can play other .ogg files from the game on my web browser just fine without blowing out speakers.

For example ... these:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Music

And just for the sake of memory lane (and because I visited the music page so I'm digressing here), what it used to sound like in Freedom Plaza in Galaxy City, which sounded close to (but not exactly the same as) Atlas Plaza in Atlas Park before the Galaxy City Tutorial came online.

21 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I have a strong feeling it will be hard to hear on teams.

To be fair, almost every sound is hard to hear on teams.  😉

Edited by Redlynne

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

7 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

I'm not going to use either Taunt sound mod, but thanks for including the warning (now) in the OP.

I did not create the mods for playback, and since this is my first experience at trying to create mods for the community, I did not think anyone would be trying to play back a sound that was intended strictly for the game to use. I am in the process of working with the Devs on trying to get permissions to create a video (without game footage) of the actual sounds in game, this way players can know what they are getting before they DL the zip file. So steps are being taken, however, as said before, those files were never created for playback. They were strictly created for the game to use and directly go in to the CoH Folder. In my inexperience, it never occurred to me that somebody might actually attempt to play those sounds back manually. I feel bad and I apologize that you were the unfortunate one to teach me this lesson, but at least now I have a Warning up to prevent anyone else from making the same mistake.

I'm just thinking in terms that I can play other .ogg files from the game on my web browser just fine without blowing out speakers.

The difference is, those files are not modded files. They are files pulled directly out of the game, not files added for the game to use.

And just for the sake of memory lane (and because I visited the music page so I'm digressing here), what it used to sound like in Freedom Plaza in Galaxy City, which sounded close to (but not exactly the same as) Atlas Plaza in Atlas Park before the Galaxy City Tutorial came online.

I had noticed that change when it happened. Which is why my version for the Atlas Park Plaza has that same change in the last note as what the original Atlas Plaza theme had. Good ear.  😉

To be fair, almost every sound is hard to hear on teams.  😉

What I have noticed, is that lower pitch SFX get drowned out by the higher pitch ones. For example, Lightning Attacks. In order to add the thunder to Lightning Attacks and not have them drowned out by the pitch of the Lightning Attacks, I had to increase the volume of the Thunder that was added to those files. This Roar from both the Panther and Lion were no different. The reason the Panther was so overpowering in game was because I made the mistake of using another player and listening to her taunt. Which sounded fine from my character's perspective. I was a bit surprised to hear the difference once I created a female character and heard the SFX Mod from point blank perspective.

I'm sure this experience has left a bad taste in your mouth, but I do appreciate you bringing it to my attention so that I could not only fix the mod, but also in addition to that, include a Warning to come with these mods so that this mistake will not happen again. Very appreciated.

• Thanks 1

You're fine @Solarverse and I am actually using a couple of mods on my game client (the enter game "sting" sound and the Peacebringer "whine" replacement sound set, because I actually like the Peacebringer hum sounds).  But I want to be able to "test" those sounds before trying them out on my game client, and the method I use is download the .zip, unzip it, and then test the .ogg file in my web browser.  I do the same thing with other sound mods that other people have published so as to "try before you buy" and decide if it's something I want to drop into my game experience (so I don't have to fish them out later the hard way from the directory if I don't like them after all).

So long as you know that in-game is not the only use case scenario for these sound files, it's all good.  😇

• Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

5 minutes ago, Redlynne said:

You're fine @Solarverse and I am actually using a couple of mods on my game client (the enter game "sting" sound and the Peacebringer "whine" replacement sound set, because I actually like the Peacebringer hum sounds).  But I want to be able to "test" those sounds before trying them out on my game client, and the method I use is download the .zip, unzip it, and then test the .ogg file in my web browser.  I do the same thing with other sound mods that other people have published so as to "try before you buy" and decide if it's something I want to drop into my game experience (so I don't have to fish them out later the hard way from the directory if I don't like them after all).

So long as you know that in-game is not the only use case scenario for these sound files, it's all good.  😇

Indeed. I do wish the game played them back at the same volume they go in, but they have something going on server side that cuts back the volume considerably. Higher pitched sounds do not seem to be an issue though, so it's a bit of a challenge to get the volume just right. I thank you for bringing it to my attention though, especially since I never play female characters, I would have been oblivious otherwise. Thanks for the help, @Redlynne

Edited by Solarverse

Hey Solarverse, these probably took ages to make., so many thanks!  You know what I'm a fan of? Dual Pistols, but not the original or Star Wars SFX.... I've had a go at doing a couple of Gunshot versions. Using this;

But I've got to a point where I just can't sync them to the Star Wars sfx because...well... the pew pew on Hail of Bullets makes it is impossible to distinguish one shot from another. 

So I'm writing to ask for advice on how to go about this? How do you sync them up? Where the devil are the original Piggs? I can't find them anywhere! (or did you, as I suspect, ignore the original sounds and just use super-echoey Star Wars effects because they disguise the need for synchronisation?.

The other thing I'm going to perhaps use is a Sword Swoosh fx for the twirling guns, though it looks like I can possibly just copy the ones you put on the Star Wars fx.

Edited by Herotu

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 minute ago, Herotu said:

Hey Solarverse, these probably took ages to make. You know what I'm a fan of? Dual Pistols, but not the original or Star Wars SFX.... I've had a go at doing a couple of Gunshot versions. Using this;

But I've got to a point where I just can't sync them to the Star Wars sfx because...well... the pew pew on Hail of Bullets makes it is impossible to distinguish one shot from another. 

So I'm writing to ask for advice on how to go about this? How do you sync them up? Where the devil are the original Piggs? I can't find them anywhere! (or did you, as I suspect, ignore the original sounds and just use super-echoey Star Wars effects because they disguise the need for synchronisation?.

The other thing I'm going to perhaps use is a Sword Swoosh fx for the twirling guns, though it looks like I can possibly just copy the ones you put on the Star Wars fx.

It's not easy, but can be done. If you have tried my SFX mod for Dual Pistols, you'll see they are spot on. Thankfully there is a program out there that you can slow the SFX way down and adjust them manually. There is a program called Vegas Movie Studio. You can place the sound there for the original Dual Wield, and then place your new sound directly under it. You can slow the SFX way down and manually move the sounds around until they line up. You have to have a sharp ear though for this. Once you finish lining them up, you can remove the original sound bite, record your new sound bite and name it the exact same name as the original. Once you do this, you place it in your CoH folder and give it a test drive. Volume is often an issue, so you will likely be adjusting the volume several times to get it right.

10 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

It's not easy, but can be done. If you have tried my SFX mod for Dual Pistols, you'll see they are spot on. Thankfully there is a program out there that you can slow the SFX way down and adjust them manually. There is a program called Vegas Movie Studio. You can place the sound there for the original Dual Wield, and then place your new sound directly under it. You can slow the SFX way down and manually move the sounds around until they line up. You have to have a sharp ear though for this. Once you finish lining them up, you can remove the original sound bite, record your new sound bite and name it the exact same name as the original. Once you do this, you place it in your CoH folder and give it a test drive. Volume is often an issue, so you will likely be adjusting the volume several times to get it right.

Many thanks :) I look forward to having another crack at it. 

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

12 hours ago, Solarverse said:

If you have trouble, let me know and I'll make a demonstration video for ya.

Oooooh... So you're synchronising the sound effects using a video of the power... I was just trying to match my sfx to yours via Audacity!

The lightning sound effects are great! TY. Anyone know by chance what sound file the Zapping Bolt from Sentinel uses? Seems to be the only one not changed by these effects and I can prob just copy over one of the others. 🙂 Thx

1 hour ago, damienray said:

The lightning sound effects are great! TY. Anyone know by chance what sound file the Zapping Bolt from Sentinel uses? Seems to be the only one not changed by these effects and I can prob just copy over one of the others. 🙂 Thx

It's server side. It uses the same file as the snipe for all the other classes...in which that file uses a server side file. Has something to do with how quick snipe works.

Trust me, I looked high and low for that file. All I could change was the charging up sfx for snipe. Not sure if Sentinels get that or not, since technically their version is not a snipe.

Edited by Solarverse

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

Oooooh... So you're synchronising the sound effects using a video of the power... I was just trying to match my sfx to yours via Audacity!

Actually no, I didn't even think about that. I wish I had, that might have been the easier way to do it. But nope, I overlayed the two sound files and played them super slowly and lined them up that way, then removed the original sound file.

Edited by Solarverse

11 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Actually no, I didn't even think about that. I wish I had, that might have been the easier way to do it. But nope, I overlayed the two sound files and played them super slowly and lined them up that way, then removed the original sound file.

Just finished Hail of Bullets (haven't tested anything yet), blimey, it just sounds like a swishy noise, haha. Well, I'll just stick with it and see how it turns out. Oh, I'm syncing it using a youtube powers video and VideoPad, then recording it's output (analogue) into Audacity. So far so good, a few more to go. I'll continue tomorrow.

Hmm... watching the video it looks like they've cheated a bit to make the sounds more distinct - they use double-gunshots then a gap, instead of matching up every shot. So every odd shot is mis-matched. Maybe I'm just tired.

Edited by Herotu

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

Just finished Hail of Bullets (haven't tested anything yet), blimey, it just sounds like a swishy noise, haha. Well, I'll just stick with it and see how it turns out. Oh, I'm syncing it using a youtube powers video and VideoPad, then recording it's output (analogue) into Audacity. So far so good, a few more to go. I'll continue tomorrow.

Hmm... watching the video it looks like they've cheated a bit to make the sounds more distinct - they use double-gunshots then a gap, instead of matching up every shot. So every odd shot is mis-matched. Maybe I'm just tired.

Personally, I think the best way to do it is your way, nobody will be pickier than yourself. Following other people's way just lands you with that mis-matched stuff, heh.

On 4/6/2020 at 12:13 PM, Herotu said:

Finished. Not sure about the sync, but I'm happy with it for now. I know it's a bit  lot like the original, but I didn't like that wooshing sound.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wkpmpyt370fgto/Herotu DW Guns.zip?dl=0

Not bad at all! Glad it worked out for you! And welcome to the SFX Modding club!  😄

6 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Not bad at all! Glad it worked out for you! And welcome to the SFX Modding club!  😄

Luckily, on a mac this doesn't apply. I use VLC to playback .ogg files and they play at a reasonable volume even when speaker volumes are maxed (note: you can further raise the volume to 200% with VLC, I have it on 120% for movies). the files I've downloaded from you play the same volume in VLC (at 100%) as they do in-game at default setting. 😃

Incidentally, for the elec sfx, could you point me to which files are for (sentinel) charged bolts, lightning bolt, zapping bolt, thunderous blast? I might duplicate the one you used for charged bolts for all 4 since it has a nice thunder crack to it compared to the others. 😃 

1 hour ago, Six Six said:

Luckily, on a mac this doesn't apply. I use VLC to playback .ogg files and they play at a reasonable volume even when speaker volumes are maxed (note: you can further raise the volume to 200% with VLC, I have it on 120% for movies). the files I've downloaded from you play the same volume in VLC (at 100%) as they do in-game at default setting. 😃

Incidentally, for the elec sfx, could you point me to which files are for (sentinel) charged bolts, lightning bolt, zapping bolt, thunderous blast? I might duplicate the one you used for charged bolts for all 4 since it has a nice thunder crack to it compared to the others. 😃 

They should all be the same as the Blaster/Corruptor/Defender versions. The only file you can't use is the Snipe because that is kept server side. However, you can change the charging up portion of the Snipe. If you change one of the files for the Blaster's version of Elec, you'll be also changing them for the Sentinel as well. However, to the best of my knowledge they both share the exact same files.

Edited by Solarverse

On 3/25/2020 at 1:16 PM, Solarverse said:

WARNING!!!

These SFX Mods are designed for the Game to play back only! City of Heroes plays back the volume at a much different level than the actual file has them set to. In the event that you wish to play them back manually, NEVER play back these sound files in any way without first turning the volume down on your Laptop/PC. The game plays back volumes at a far lower level than your PC/Laptop will, and if you play back the files without first turning down your volume, you can possibly cause damage to your speakers!

Soul Mage Strikes SFX Mod for Kinetic Melee!

(Detailed Explanation)

This is a Mod that gives your Kinetic Melee the Sound Effects of Soul Magic! I think Kinetic Melee sounds "okay" but this mod really makes the set stand out. It is good for two things: Role Players will love this for their Mage themed characters. It sounds a bit on the dark magic side, but can work for both dark magic and light magic alike.  The second: It is for sure different and may spice the set up for anyone who would just like to try something different a flashier.

Soul Mage Strikes Second Edition

(Detailed Explanation)

This second edition comes from a specific request from a player to get rid of the old school magic jingles from the hit files. So after doing some research on a secondary option, it was replaced with a more modern version of hit files. This is actually a technique used in the Movie Doctor Strange to achieve a modern magic SFX.

Instructions

• First, unzip the file beneath the instructions and open the folder.
  • Find your City of Heroes folder and open it up.

(If you see a Data Folder)

• Open the Data Folder.
  • Open the Sound Folder
  • Open the Ogg Folder
  • Open the Powers Folder
  • Copy all files from opened Zip file and drag them to the Powers Folder
  • Close all folders and restart game

(If you do not have a Data Folder or any other folder mentioned above!)

• Inside the City of Heroes Folder...
  • Create a Folder and name it Data
  • Open the Data Folder and create another folder and name it Sound
  • Open the Sound Folder and create yet another folder and name it Ogg
  • Open the Ogg Folder and you've guessed it, create a folder and name it Powers
  • Copy all files from the opened Zip file that I have provided and drag all of the files to the Powers Folder
  • Close all folders and restart game

If you have some of the folders mentioned above, but some folders are missing, then create the missing folders and place them in order of how they are listed above. Once finished, copy and drag the files from the Zip folder below and place them inside the Powers Folder. Then close the City of Heroes Folder and restart the game.

Zip file and preview below. Enjoy!

KineticMelee.zip 1.29 MB · 20 downloads

KM_Second_Edition.zip 1.32 MB · 4 downloads

The 2nd Edition is even better than the first.

• Thanks 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

On 4/8/2020 at 7:04 PM, Solarverse said:

Head's up, folks. There is a new Transformers SFX Mod for Robotics Master Minds that's just been added. Also, a video has been added for previews of each and every mod! Enjoy!

Good work @Solarverse  I don't mind the majority of the Robot MM sfx, but I'll be keeping my rubber ducky squeaks for their stomping.

😄

• Haha 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.