Stone Melee for Scrappers/Stalkers

Pzn

Is there any balance reason that this set hasn't been proliferated yet?  It seems like it would be very fun on Scrappers and Stalkers.  It doesn't seem like there's any powers like rage that would make it hard to balance.

• Like 4

The only thing they're probably worried about is a scale 3.56 damage attack with a fast animation (Seismic Smash) getting a full critical. But Rad Melee has Devastating Blow, which does scale 3.56 damage and gets a full damage critical plus bonus AoE damage with Contamination, so that ship sailed a while ago.

They'd probably swap Fault for Assassin's Strike (Hidden Bonk?) for Stalkers, although I think I'd rather lose Hurl Boulder.

• Like 1

Stone melee on a Stalker or Scrapper would just look silly to me. I used to like it when certain powers were specific to certain classes. Now we are moving closer and closer to a point where these classes dont have much of anything that's unique.

I personally wouldn't want to see it get any worse than it already is, so I'm gonna say no.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Stone melee on a Stalker or Scrapper would just look silly to me. I used to like it when certain powers were specific to certain classes. Now we are moving closer and closer to a point where these classes dont have much of anything that's unique.

I personally wouldn't want to see it get any worse than it already is, so I'm gonna say no.

I'd like to take the opposite side on this; powersets shouldn't be reserved for only certain archetypes.

Individual powers can for both balance and flavor but an archetype should have access to some version of every powersets that they have the category for.

If the archetypes are too mechanically homogenous then there's a problem with their inherents/multipliers.

If the sets don't seem to match thematically then there's a problem with how people are visualizing them. Stalkers suffer especially hard from this.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, megaericzero said:

I'd like to take the opposite side on this; powersets shouldn't be reserved for only certain archetypes.

Individual powers can for both balance and flavor but an archetype should have access to some version of every powersets that they have the category for.

If the archetypes are too mechanically homogenous then there's a problem with their inherents/multipliers.

If the sets don't seem to match thematically then there's a problem with how people are visualizing them. Stalkers suffer especially hard from this.

I'd prefer this as well but to another degree, we need more variance set to set between AT's! Why do Scrappers, Brutes, and Tanks (well, less so them now) all have essentially the same versions of sets?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

Why do Scrappers, Brutes, and Tanks (well, less so them now) all have essentially the same versions of sets?

Trouble with that..if AT's have different versions, you know some powers are gonna be flat out WAY better on whatever AT. Which just makes it unfair. Unless we got to pick between a few options, which has been said to be a lot of effort to get going.

7 hours ago, siolfir said:

The only thing they're probably worried about is a scale 3.56 damage attack with a fast animation (Seismic Smash) getting a full critical. But Rad Melee has Devastating Blow, which does scale 3.56 damage and gets a full damage critical plus bonus AoE damage with Contamination, so that ship sailed a while ago.

They'd probably swap Fault for Assassin's Strike (Hidden Bonk?) for Stalkers, although I think I'd rather lose Hurl Boulder.

Pretty sure it would be Fault, as some stalkers might like a ranged attack in there.  Would be kind of weird for a stalker to use fault anyway due to the lack of AOE they generally have (yes I know it doesn't do damage.)

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

2 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

Trouble with that..if AT's have different versions, you know some powers are gonna be flat out WAY better on whatever AT. Which just makes it unfair. Unless we got to pick between a few options, which has been said to be a lot of effort to get going.

This is already true though:

Martial Arts on Scrappers does not have a +Def power, and Eagles Claw has a hidden +Crit Chance to the immediate attack you queue after it. MA on Tanks and Brutes has a +Def attack and EC has a +DMG boost to the next attack instead. 

Claws between all 3 of those AT's have seperate recharge and thus damage values per power, making them feel different overall.

Tankers, with their AoE buffs, have sets that can be drastically different than their counterparts with that being the only major change (Area and targets hit per AoE)

Stalkers arguably have the best version of several sets (Kinetic Melee, Savage Melee, StJ) due to a number of factors.

Stone Melee scrappers could be a lot of fun. I feel like tankers and brutes are a bit too beefy to fully benefit from the knockdown and stuns in SM so it could shine more on softer ATs. Stalkers would be cool too. You could give them one hell of a screen-shaking assassin strike. EARTHQUAKE BLOW!