I'd love to see a Spell Book added to the game. The idea of casting spells from a book seems cool, BUT...

• Should it be a costume piece (perhaps part of a gloves set or smth), OR
  • Should it be powerset?! OR
  • Should it be one of several different power customisation options for casting spells? Others being some voodoo/witch animations, dancing, drawing runes, burning/manipulating effigies or spell components (e.g. tossing bones, feathers, eyeballs, spiders - you know, #TheUsual), sprinkling fairy dust, waving a wand.

I guess the latter could be shared across some of the existing powersets too, to give our magic origin guys something cool and unique!

Edited by Herotu
  • Like 1

there's already an idle to read from a book when you're not fighting. 

having the book open to cast spells during combat... eh... I'm not a fan.  I can see it as a power customization option, perhaps.  Or maybe kinda like "Aura - Hands - Combat Only" kinda thing where if you choose it as part of costume customization you'd see it in combat.  But even my magic-origin'd character, my headcanon from them is they know their spells back and forth and back again. They don't need to have the book open for crib notes.

But if you were going with kind of a learning-apprentice type of angle on your character, I can see it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MTeague said:

Or maybe kinda like "Aura - Hands - Combat Only" kinda thing where if you choose it as part of costume customization you'd see it in combat. 

I like this option, just a combat aura where a tome or scroll opens and floats in front of you.  Kind of like the grimoires in Black Clover.

Another thought might be like a stance toggle where you play whatever animations for your attacks but goes back to a "holding book" stance when not executing an attack.

• Like 3

My Sorcerer character over in Aion would grin. Books are one of the sorcerer's two weapon choices in that game. (Orbs are the other, but it's not nearly as silly to ping an orb off of something's head as it is to fling book pages at it. XD) 

Having a book with a swirly rune effect or something as a hand-anchored combat aura would be fun, I think. Most of my own magi wouldn't use it, just because it would mean giving up their glowing eyes (Oranbegans gotta Oranbegan, yo.) but it would be a neat option for other people to have.

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

... God, I haven't been in Aion in years.

I think I'm in the "I probably wouldn't use it, but I'd be for it" camp. (Especially with how some of my ranged characters are - seeing them reading while casually firing off a blast with one hand would be amusing.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 3/28/2020 at 5:50 AM, Lines said:

It would be great to see props within power customisation, such as choosing to use magic wands, staves or guns for most ranged powersets.

Huge job, though.

I want to see a weapon option for Beam Rifle where it's actually a staff.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2020 at 11:42 AM, Coyotedancer said:

Most of my own magi wouldn't use it, just because it would mean giving up their glowing eyes (Oranbegans gotta Oranbegan, yo.) but it would be a neat option for other people to have.

Some of the auras have in addition whatever the effect is (mist, glow, etc...) an option to also include the eye glow.

Maybe the spellbook aura could also include an option for an eye glow as well (for anyone who wants to choose that option).

Also, I'm pretty sure that we should be seeing the option for multiple Auras being added in a relatively short time.  Unless that particular bit of hackery had unintended consequences which got it pushed back, one of the Homecoming Devs had some proof-of-concept posted in this forum for it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later