Scale down earth control graphics

Parabola

Wondering if it would be possible to provide the option to scale down the graphics for earth control (thinking mainly of the immob and the hold)? They already scale to the size of mob affected so presumably there are some settings for this somewhere? By default they seem a bit big to me, and they are very obscuring. If we could set them to be about 80% the current size I think they might be a bit easier for everyone?

• Thumbs Down 1

I'd be happy if they toned down the sounds at least...it actually causes my game to stutter if there's alot of things going on on-screen, and I've kinda had to stop playing my earth controller because of it :/ You can hear someone using earth control effects from considerable distances away...its kinda freaky.

6 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

Like a minimal graphics option?

Yeah just an option to scale them down a bit. I don't want to change it for everyone, I just find them a bit too intrusive. I've played enough melee to feel slightly embarrassed when I stone cage a group and know that all the melee guys can see is my power fx for the rest of the fight.

8 hours ago, The Godchild said:

I'd be happy if they toned down the sounds at least...it actually causes my game to stutter if there's alot of things going on on-screen, and I've kinda had to stop playing my earth controller because of it 😕 You can hear someone using earth control effects from considerable distances away...its kinda freaky.

Yeah this too. I think there are several powers in the game that keep amplifying when they hit more targets. Stone cages seems to do this. The stuttering has improved for me since the hc team made a recent change to particle fx though.

The size of the graphics is a real problem for short characters. If you have a minimum height character and someone on the team uses earth control near you, you can't see the mobs.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

51 minutes ago, Uun said:

The size of the graphics is a real problem for short characters. If you have a minimum height character and someone on the team uses earth control near you, you can't see the mobs.

Does zooming out help any?

55 minutes ago, Uun said:

That's just Realism and immersion right there.

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2020 at 5:36 AM, parabola said:

Yeah just an option to scale them down a bit. I don't want to change it for everyone, I just find them a bit too intrusive. I've played enough melee to feel slightly embarrassed when I stone cage a group and know that all the melee guys can see is my power fx for the rest of the fight.

This is a problem with a great many powersets in my opinion, including Earth Control.  I would absolutely love an option that allows us to tone down/scale down or turn off the myriad of VFX spam. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

This is a problem with a great many powersets in my opinion, including Earth Control.  I would absolutely love an option that allows us to tone down/scale down or turn off the myriad of VFX spam. 

With a full team this game does kind of turn into a... like... one of those cartoon fighting clouds?  Just a big blob of glowing nonsense

FFXIV has an option that's like... "Minimal FX for everyone except me" which might be a good idea

• 2 years later

Better to bump or create duplicate posts? 

Anyways I agree with this. After playing Earth Control I just feel guilty that my team can't see anything. Putting holds on large Circle of Thorns demons blocks the entire path.

The sound is also on the more obnoxious side but at least it has a good crunch to it.

Seismic Blast is also the same and needs to be turned down. The blocks can take up an entire screen.

Minimal options would be great or at very least let us turn off other players effects as suggested so those who are annoyed by it can disable it.

Graphics and sounds have already been nerfed to death...I wonder, at what point will people finally be happy...really...where does it finally end? This game is a husk of what it once was graphically and sound, yet we keep chipping away at it every time somebody has a complaint. This is the one thing I hate about MMO's...players who want it custom fit just for them, get it nerfed to hell and back. What a beautiful and sound appealing game this once was, now...it is a shadow of what it used to be...

• Thumbs Down 1

24 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Graphics and sounds have already been nerfed to death...I wonder, at what point will people finally be happy...really...where does it finally end? This game is a husk of what it once was graphically and sound, yet we keep chipping away at it every time somebody has a complaint. This is the one thing I hate about MMO's...players who want it custom fit just for them, get it nerfed to hell and back. What a beautiful and sound appealing game this once was, now...it is a shadow of what it used to be...

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. I keep super disappointed to keep seeing the asks for minimal armor effects for things like stalkers and Stone Armor and the like. The whole reason for picking something like Stone Armor is to turn into a giant rock. If it bothers you that much to not see your costume, then use a different armor set--almost everything else leaves your costume visible. Or learn to plan your character's look for when they're using those armors, or turn the toggles off when you aren't in combat, etc. Sorry, some of these requests make me crazy, lol. I don't get it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

4 minutes ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. I keep super disappointed to keep seeing the asks for minimal armor effects for things like stalkers and Stone Armor and the like. The whole reason for picking something like Stone Armor is to turn into a giant rock. If it bothers you that much to not see your costume, then use a different armor set--almost everything else leaves your costume visible. Or learn to plan your character's look for when they're using those armors, or turn the toggles off when you aren't in combat, etc. Sorry, some of these requests make me crazy, lol. I don't get it.

You are absolutely right that people should enjoy their costume and character design.  The problem is that we get buried under layer upon layer of VFX from other players being used or cast onto them, many of which obscure the view of other players completely.  Unless I am misunderstanding the request, the ask is for a minimal or no VFX option for abilities that are cast onto others. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

You are absolutely right that people should enjoy their costume and character design.  The problem is that we get buried under layer upon layer of VFX from other players being used or cast onto them, many of which obscure the view of other players completely.  Unless I am misunderstanding the request, the ask is for a minimal or no VFX option for abilities that are cast onto others. 

I have no issues with Minimum VFX options, I am more speaking on other people who chimed in wanting things completely removed, visually and SFX.

• Thumbs Down 1

39 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Sorry, I admittedly haven't read the entire thread/initial request. I was only responding to the person I quoted with a mini-rant.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

On 8/8/2022 at 10:59 AM, hexadecimalwtf said:

Better to bump or create duplicate posts? 

I think once a thread has sit idle for two years it's better to make a new post. But here we are.

Minimal FX for others might be cool but wild and spammy mess is the core of what defines CoH multiplayer... Yeah I don't think there's much of an argument against having the option, except the work it would take to implement.