Best of the New-to-You, builds and powersets

Had a Claws/regen scrapper and wanted to reroll it in CoH's new life. Spent a brief time going /sr on a brute only to switch /wp. Having a secondary I don't really need to click on feels like it cements the idea behind the name, Without Pause. It might be the smoothest build I have played.

Dark/dark controller and blaster. Pretty much as advertised. The controller is having me hold off on rerolling my Ill/rad which is one of the very few I was willing to do again.

SJ/shield scrapper. Liking the animations for SJ. /shield helps complete the Cap like look. The pairing just feels right.

Water/nin sentinel. Played Water to 12, and rerolled from /sr to /nin mostly to try out /nin. I had a Kat/sr back in the day, so no opinion on it yet, but Water? Has to be in the running for most fun new powerset.

Like, but never keep one around. Super Strength. Someday I will get one to 50. I even had a SS/elec brute previously and rerolled it here, but rerolled it again to the SJ/shield scrapper. Likely a SS/wp brute at some point.

Skipped on it. Tried Time, and the noise to it was annoying. I tried Bots/time, and I just ended up deciding I would skip on MMs this time around. I had one. I don't feel like need to go back now. I know Time is one of the best support sets, but passing on it for now. I ODed on support sets, certainly defenders, during my original play time so I am kind of shying away from playing them much this go around. A Cold/ice is slotted to be played at some point. I feel like I need a token defender in there somewhere, and I need to reroll my main but go Kin/rad, but again, I ODed on Kin in my first go around. Honestly, this likely had more to do with the AT than the powerset although were they intentionally going for something which sounded annoying?

Waiting on, Staff. Might even go stalker as I have little experience there.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Never much enjoyed blasters.

Now playing Dual Pistols/Martial Training(?) and wow - it is the most fun ever.

Literally so much so, I don't want to make other characters right now (!) and have funneled all wealth into that one character from all others.

Very absorbing.

It's like NIght Widow meets Equilibrium.

I created a Plant/Nature controller but, never played him on live. I created and played one to 50 on Homecoming and am enjoying it immensely. I have a few recreations I want to do but, I have a few more that I either created but never played or never created on my to do list:

• Savage/Bio Tank
  • Rad/Rad Brute
  • Demons/Thermal MM
  • Energy/Energy Sentinel
  • Water/Pain Corrupter
  • Kinetic Melee/SR Scrapper
  • Warshade

I started remaking one of my favorite older toons, a Plant/Stone dom. I decided to try Plant/Savage, Plant/Martial, and a couple of other builds. Plant/Martial ended up being where it's at, and it's easily one of my best and favorite characters, running a lot of +rechg and some +def. I'm really not sure why Doms get as little love as they do, and I don't see as many Plant builds as you'd think (people love Fire tho).

Also made a Water/Cold Corr, which is only mid-twenties but is a pretty synergistic set and very fun on teams.

Staff/RadArmor Brute that I like, but just feels very slow compared to the Plant/MA dom.

I've got a few more ideas running around that I need to try out too.

If you really liked old regen, I'd suggest a claws/bio scrapper.  Bio Armor is pretty awesome.  ^_^

I need a concept/name/look for a build, and I've got nothing for Bio. It has been getting good feedback. I'm definitely taking the Claws/wp to 50. I don't think I would do another Claws after that. SS/bio might be of interest, but I did 40+ alts when CoH was live, so trying to keep a sane list this time, which has already gone from a small number to "I could do 12."

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

I made a Peacebringer back in the day because I just didn't dig the graphics of the WS and even though it isn't a major mechanic, I didn't like getting buffs from "like" ATs in the group. I mean, my whole thought was that I wanted to be what the group needed, not more of what it had already.

But I built a new Warshade and with just the squid and the lobster and the team-friendly free teleport and such... I could just play this as is! I mean, I'm only lvl 25, but I feel like a complete character. I don't even care about going all tricked out with MF-WS form switching in combat to boost from human form stuff. I suppose that will be necessary at some point as high level content difficulties will probably punish me if I don't, but I am having too much fun for now.

...though I still don't like the graphics much. So much of this game is the insane character design options.

I rolled a Fire/Fire Sentinel that I hope to SenTank for duos maybe even a trio. He's fun to play. I called him Laphroaig and colored all the flames blue so it's like he is throwing whiskey-molotov cocktails at people. I know I can't ever tank for a big group with him, but wow it makes me wish I had more "reach" when I play my tanker toons.

My Water/Time Blaster is a bust. It's just too much overhead to be keeping track of two different systems of Combos. Got him all the way to lvl 21 and love the costume, just can't bring myself to delete him. I'll keep him around and maybe try again in a month or two after I've played some others.

I'm trying a Savage Melee/Radiation Brute. Yes, I'm trying a brute again... I love that Fury bar building, but it still feels like an addiction, in a bad way. That feeling of being nerfed every time you run down a long hallway or look for a clickie puts a pit in my stomach. Still, the animations are fun and the sets are totally new to me, so the first 20 lvls have been more fun than I thought they'd be.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

Thus far?

First one was a Street Justice/Bio Armor Scrapper.  Entirely done because both sets fit the concept fairly well.  SJ has some good feedback to the hits and visually the attacks make for a good alternative to the high-flying acrobatics of (original) Martial Arts and the sweeping strikes of Kinetic Melee.  The little bit of soft control in it helps, too.  Meanwhile, Bio Armor is... well.  The only melee defense sets I played with were Super Reflexes and Willpower - both of which are "set it and forget it"-style - and Regen, which is "push button to not die."  But Bio Armor?  Bio Armor needs to come with a manual.  At the very least I got the adaptation options figured out: "Kill things," "guess I'm tanking," and "never stop punching."

Other's a Beam Rifle/Devices Blaster, and I thought that it was the first pure energy damage blast set in the game but it turns out that I forgot Rad Blast existed.  Certainly has better secondary effects than Rad, though, even though it's mostly single-target.  Plus lasers are cool.  FLASHLIGHTS OF THE IMPERIUM.

I'm really not sure why Doms get as little love as they do, and I don't see as many Plant builds as you'd think

Plant Manip was my jam back in the day.  If anyone reading this wants to roll Plant, my advice would be to get Seeds of Confusion immediately at level 8, six-slot it with 2 Accuracy, 3 Recharge and one Confuse Duration, and spam every spawn you encounter with it.  It is stupid good, especially compared to other AoE confuses (Mind and Elec) since the recharge is so short.  Once you hit 50 stick a Coercive Persuasion set in there, because the Contagious Confusion proc will go off at least once every time which will result in bosses getting confused as well, even without the Overpower effect.

It's also got an AoE sleep which, yeah, sleep, but it's AoE control that keeps enemies from attacking that's available at level 6.  Provided you tell your teammates to be careful with AoE attacks it can get you through a lot of low-level missions and task forces with less grief.

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

Once you hit 50 stick a Coercive Persuasion set in there, because the Contagious Confusion proc will go off at least once every time which will result in bosses getting confused as well, even without the Overpower effect.

Agreed with everything, but man thank you so much for this. The bad thing about recreating versions of old characters is that sometimes you forget some components that made them work as well as they did. And for me, that Contagious Confusion proc was one of them. I appreciate the reminder.

I'm really not sure why Doms get as little love as they do, and I don't see as many Plant builds as you'd think (people love Fire tho).

Loved my Plant/fire dom back in the day and since it died in a hardcore SG, that's the one dom I made here.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

I'm really not sure why Doms get as little love as they do, and I don't see as many Plant builds as you'd think (people love Fire tho).

Loved my Plant/fire dom back in the day and since it died in a hardcore SG, that's the one dom I made here.

I had a Plant/Fire Dom on NCS days, played as Praetorian.  Servers went down before I went too far with him.  Recreated him as a Nature/Fire Defender, and been enjoying it too much to consider moving him back.  Did the opposite with a Stone/Fire Tanker, and made him an Earth/Fire Dominator, though.  He's working out so far.

Haven't gotten too far with the Savage/Rad Brute and Rad/Bio Scrapper, as I just recreated them to play around with.  So far, not bad, but I haven't reached a real maturing point with them, yet.  I also have a Demons/Time MM going, and I've been focusing too much on the Demons to have gotten a feel for the Time set, yet.  To be fair, it would be better to explore Time with a Defender, as they get the powers sooner and they are more powerful.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

So far in Homecoming Ive tried:

Elec/Rad controller which I felt was just too slow for my tastes.

Pistols/Rad Armor Sentinel. Faster, but something is just unsatisfying about the gameplay.

Now I'm currently on a Savage/Willpower Brute that, so far, really seems right up my alley. If it ends up not panning out, Im looking at maybe a corruptor. I don't know.

Some of this stuff I started prior to game end but never got very far:

Beam/Time Corrupter - Firepower and what has to be one of the best all round support sets in the game.

Almost anything /SD - How did I not try this out before? BS/SD is helluva thematic. SJ/SD is just funny.

I really appreciate Staff Melee as an AoE damage set. I'm surprised at how few people are using it given the high demand for farming an PLing. I didn't play any AoE heavy melee prior to the shutdown, mostly because I didn't care for Spines or Claws, but the combination of the cool animations and versatile concept really got me once I saw the set in use. I made one right away and never looked back.

New player here, missed the boat first time around but enjoying it so far

Gone for a Gravity/Thorns Dominator and I want to love it but I just feel so weak. Things take a long time to kill, especially if my CC misses (how the hell does gravity miss anyway??) and if I get outnumbered I get rekt almost immediately

Thinking of restarting as a Villain but is it worth sticking to this power combo or are they both too weak to be rolling with? Haven't seen either one mentioned anywhere

New player here, missed the boat first time around but enjoying it so far

Gone for a Gravity/Thorns Dominator and I want to love it but I just feel so weak. Things take a long time to kill, especially if my CC misses (how the hell does gravity miss anyway??) and if I get outnumbered I get rekt almost immediately

Thinking of restarting as a Villain but is it worth sticking to this power combo or are they both too weak to be rolling with? Haven't seen either one mentioned anywhere

Grav does get mentioned on the Dom forums. /thorns less so. I never played either. I would grab Pine's Hero builder and post up what you have in the Doms forum to see what can be worked on if anything. Also will help to know what level you are. I think the biggest issue with Grav is how resisted it's damage type is, so even if the single target damage is good, it can come across as weaker.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

Have a Bio Armor/Spines tanker that I am enjoying immensely.  Bringing Spines to tankers is a great and good move.  Dark Melee now has competition as the 'why didn't you take this instead?' secondary for tankers.  Dark Melee is for the tanker who wants to survive everything; Heraclea got through a Rikti ship raid yesterday and her health barely dipped.  Spines is for the tanker who wants to monopolize all of the mobs' attention.  It also would go to the top of the class for Willpower tankers who want to be whole-spawn tanks, especially after Quills.  Bio Armor is interesting as well.  I don't think it will ever be as tough as, say, Invuln.  But it has several 'oh snap' buttons, not one, without the disadvantages of something like Unstoppable, which I never take on a tanker anyways.  So difficult alphas and adds don't faze you.  The only serious problem with it is that, like Fire Armor, it is at risk for animation lag, so Bio/EM is a definite no.  Finally, Spines and Bio Armor work together well for concept, even if it doesn't quite fit this character's concept, which I developed in the playing thereof; she turned out to be an emissary of an Aztec goddess sent to Paragon City to kill Skuls.  (Total ripoff, you know.)

Thought of yet another concept, so I'm finally trying a Mastermind.  Beast Mastery/Nature control sounds cool. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Honestly, I might have trouble finding a new power set combination. Unless there's stuff that is completely new, that is. Don't recall water blast for example. I played pretty much anything. Not as much tankers, but scrappers had the same power sets (mostly). And I did play brutes, who did use the same power sets. Wasn't a fan of the stalker playstyle though.

Played a Ninja/TA Mastermind, and a TA/Arc Defender.

Decided to compromise and now I play a Thug/TA Mastermind and I'm loving him.  He won't heal his goons, he won't protect his goons, he doesn't make his goons stronger, faster or smarter.  But he will, absolutely, make sure his goons never have to have a fair fight.  And when one of them dies, he just calls their replacement by the same name.