Best of the New-to-You, builds and powersets

I am trying a pistols/nijitsu Sentinel - I designed him to look like John Woo - and he has been fun so far!

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Never much enjoyed blasters.

Now playing Dual Pistols/Martial Training(?) and wow - it is the most fun ever.

Literally so much so, I don't want to make other characters right now (!) and have funneled all wealth into that one character from all others.

Very absorbing.

It's like NIght Widow meets Equilibrium.

I have a DP/WP waiting in the wings, however, you just may have convinced me to try a new Gunkata combo.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

The Myrmidon has made the change from Tanker to a Kin/WP Brute. The animations look a lot like spell-casting, which can be supplemented by a great deal of powers for Magic concepts for a Sorcerer. Also, I told many of my friends nine years ago that, if Brutes were available as Heroes at the start, I never would have been a Tanker. Now, I get to keep my word.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Never much enjoyed blasters.

Now playing Dual Pistols/Martial Training(?) and wow - it is the most fun ever.

Literally so much so, I don't want to make other characters right now (!) and have funneled all wealth into that one character from all others.

Very absorbing.

It's like NIght Widow meets Equilibrium.

I have a DP/WP waiting in the wings, however, you just may have convinced me to try a new Gunkata combo.

Most fun I have had - hated to play Blasters on live, was really looking forward to the changes on test, I love this combo.

My main is Shield/Psi Melee. It's like psi was made for me. Telekinetic powers, and aoe tier 9 and my favourite status effect. Couldn't be happier.

I love the PBAOE in Psi. Especially when you've got an aggrocap amount of mobs on you. Its like that old trope where a hero does an explosive stretch when being dog piled and baddies go everywhere.

• 3 weeks later

Caved and rerolled my main from live but went controller versus defender. Elec seems solid right now, and since I've done so much Kin, this feels quite natural to play. This might be one of the few rerolls which end up being the official versions for the character.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

• 2 months later
On 5/20/2019 at 1:26 PM, Without_Pause said:

Had a Claws/regen scrapper and wanted to reroll it in CoH's new life. Spent a brief time going /sr on a brute only to switch /wp. Having a secondary I don't really need to click on feels like it cements the idea behind the name, Without Pause. It might be the smoothest build I have played.

Dark/dark controller and blaster. Pretty much as advertised. The controller is having me hold off on rerolling my Ill/rad which is one of the very few I was willing to do again.

SJ/shield scrapper. Liking the animations for SJ. /shield helps complete the Cap like look. The pairing just feels right.

Water/nin sentinel. Played Water to 12, and rerolled from /sr to /nin mostly to try out /nin. I had a Kat/sr back in the day, so no opinion on it yet, but Water? Has to be in the running for most fun new powerset.

Like, but never keep one around. Super Strength. Someday I will get one to 50. I even had a SS/elec brute previously and rerolled it here, but rerolled it again to the SJ/shield scrapper. Likely a SS/wp brute at some point.

Skipped on it. Tried Time, and the noise to it was annoying. I tried Bots/time, and I just ended up deciding I would skip on MMs this time around. I had one. I don't feel like need to go back now. I know Time is one of the best support sets, but passing on it for now. I ODed on support sets, certainly defenders, during my original play time so I am kind of shying away from playing them much this go around. A Cold/ice is slotted to be played at some point. I feel like I need a token defender in there somewhere, and I need to reroll my main but go Kin/rad, but again, I ODed on Kin in my first go around. Honestly, this likely had more to do with the AT than the powerset although were they intentionally going for something which sounded annoying?

Waiting on, Staff. Might even go stalker as I have little experience there.

Interesting to see what I was saying a few months ago. SJ/shield stopped getting played and ended up being deleted. Tried Staff on a stalker and it stalled as well. Went SJ/ea on a stalker and it feels like I finally found my stalker. I had gotten a Kin/ea scrapper to 22, and went, "Nope, this idea will be better on a stalker." At some point I might need to find something that fills the scrapper role. Just liking brutes and stalkers more.

D/d controller remains and I have grouped my guys in DPS, support, and melee. The controller is my lead support role.

D/d blaster has stalled likely to be rerolled although I think the build is quite good. Eventually a Water/ice blaster was made and felt like nearly a perfect build. Current lead DPS build.

Claws/wp continues to work well. Finally in my 30s so I can fill in slots better as I had been running on what felt like rather minimal slotting. Lead melee.

Highest level characters are Spines/fire(duh) and a Elec/kin controller to whom I loved until later gaming happened. End drain is a still hit or miss depending on if AV is involved. Had one run where every death happened due to being mezzed. Needs work to be worth keeping around. Spines/fire is fun because of the farming aspect. Outside of AE, and I can't imagine playing it or /fa really at all.

Time. Well, I made a SG based one for it, so needless to say I rolled four of them and likely keep two, Fire/time corr and controller. Made Ill/time and Time/sonic, but feeling has been kind of "eh" right now. I guess I've been playing enough Fire/AoE based builds to where more single target based ones aren't as exciting.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

45 Alts on Torchbearer, that's not counting the 20 some odd I have on Justin.  I haven't tried blaster or tanker again, but all the other ATs I have.  Some things seem good, but I just can't sustain interest in them, or hit a road-bump with them and just put them aside.

There's only one, one I lost interest in, a Crab... that I renamed and respeced into Bane, that I love.  I always go back to her.  I never tried a Bane live as they sounded like a bad copy of stalker - which couldn't be further from how it plays, it plays like a melee damage and debuffer with a side of support that's tough as nails.  I did have a Crab live, but also stopped shortly after 24 and never switched to bane.  

I haven't been able to get back into any of my old 50s on live either.   I got my old Bots/Storm up to 50 again, but it was PL and still just don't like it anymore.   My Plant/Energy Dom, Stone/WP Brute, Sonic/Kin Corruptor, and Nightwidow were my main four, and none do it for me, and haven't made it to 50 again with them.

I enjoyed some others but lost interest:

TW/Rad Brute- great some times, horrible others, I got to 48, but just couldn't go on any more as it was starting to lean more horrible due to the slow of TW, lucky if I got in an attack that landed before everything was dead on most TFs.  I also seem to have trouble soloing with this for some reason.

Psi/Ninj Stalker - real fun soloing, until I ran into carnies in ghost window patron arc, I couldn't kill even at -1/x0 no bosses, then started running into robots, that and I kept respecing as I realized all the utitiles in Ninj were garbage and wasted picks.

Grav/Time Controller - Great fun, and one I keep thinking of going back to, but I keep thinking in the back of my mind how it's probably pretty bad at high level content where you need fast aoe or strong AV defeating powers, and wormhole won't work on incarnates.

Demon/Time MM - Really strong, but has a bit of issue with not visually having a lot indications of what's going on, and feel like I have to be up in the fray tankerminding while trying to herd my demons to stay close at the same time which I find annoying, also starting to have severe end issues.

Edited by Justisaur
  • Like 1

I've never been much of a melee player because I'm a blaster no matter what AT I'm playing and that attitude will get you dead quick and often

I have a sj/sr stalker that is fun to play with, but wasn't much of a challenge. Now I'm rocking a DB/elec brute, keeping track of position, combos, and fury all at the same time isn't easy.

Working on getting a tank to 20 as I've never done that before.

• Like 1

Martial Combat is definitely amazing for blasters, loved it. Also found my new love in Street Justice, never played a stalker before but Brawling Betty is already nearly fully incarnated out, set just has so much oomph to it combined with the two awesome ATO uniques for stalkers (seriously why can't other ATOs uniques be that good, Brute +Fury is fun but +resistances is a bit...meh).

On 5/22/2019 at 5:31 AM, Chrome_Enigma said:

New player here, missed the boat first time around but enjoying it so far

Gone for a Gravity/Thorns Dominator and I want to love it but I just feel so weak. Things take a long time to kill, especially if my CC misses (how the hell does gravity miss anyway??) and if I get outnumbered I get rekt almost immediately

Thinking of restarting as a Villain but is it worth sticking to this power combo or are they both too weak to be rolling with? Haven't seen either one mentioned anywhere

I'm not really familiar with */Thorns, but Gravity can be awesome.  It's tricky, though, especially in the early levels.  Like all doms, it really shines once you hit the 30s and finally start having enough slots to go around.

I've tried a bunch of new stuff so far.

Water/Bio sentinel - ended up deleting him, sentinel just felt like the damage was too puny.

Water/cold blaster - enjoying him much more

Rad/EA stalker - never played stalkers much on live, but wanted to try them out post-buff and I'm really enjoying him

Rad/rad brute - Despite the hype about rad melee and rad armor he just feels mediocre to me.

Earth/time controller - too low level to tell yet.

Savage/bio brute - tons of fun, feels like an unstoppable ball of slashy death

TW/Bio brute - Maybe my favorite of my new characters.

From what I've seen/heard pretty much all of the new sets are possibly a little overpowered.  I can't think of one that's performing below average, and a lot that are considered top-tier.  I'm wondering if it's due to them mainly coming from the beta server and not being fully finished.

• Like 1

My main on live was an ice/ice/ice blaster, and the first toon I created on HC was an ice/ice blaster (who picked up /ice later. Of course.).  She's the same but totally different because she now has the Frigid Protection (the most amazing piece of blaster love devs ever conceived) and is more finely tuned.  By this I mean that I was scattered back in the day, trying to boost survival AND trying to max damage.  So I ended up with neither good survivability OR good (for an incarnate blaster) dps. 

For me, this time, I had to choose, and I chose damage, which meant set focus on damage, acc, and recharge.  I didn't neglect survivablilty, I just didn't make it my plan.  I am playing with it in a second build, however.

This toon FEELS incarnate, she feels special and strong.  She also still dies like any blaster.  Sigh.  But that's what makes her special.  Or something.

I couldn't be more pleased with my "new" Ice Ice Baby; driving her just feels right, and I have exactly what I want.  She has mad debuffs, holds, slows, sleeps, and she still has absolutely insane damage.  So happy.  :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Justisaur said:

Psi/Ninj Stalker - real fun soloing, until I ran into carnies in ghost window patron arc, I couldn't kill even at -1/x0 no bosses, then started running into robots, that and I kept respecing as I realized all the utitiles in Ninj were garbage and wasted picks.

Interesting enough in that Psy is the most popular attack set for stalkers at level 50 based on the FotM threads. I made a Psy/dark blaster and at least /dark can fill in when Psy is getting resisted.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

The one character I have who has both powersets new to me in i25 is my Bio/Spines tanker,  Spines, I had at least played in i23, on a scrapper; I always coveted the set for tankers.  This combination gets all the aggro, keeps 'em close, and does decent damage.  She can just stand there and watch mobs slowly die.  I think it's the tamales.

My Sentinels try out one new powerset: Water/Willpower, Pistols/Rad.  Never had the time to level a Titan Weapons character in the old game; now I have a TW/WP scrapper with all her incarnates unlocked.  Same goes for my Street Justice/Willpower brute. 

I never really enjoyed blasters in the old game.  Neither my Archery/Devices blaster (fresh made in anticipation of Halloween) nor my Electric/Electric blaster are new powersets to me, but the sustain powers make them much more entertaining than they ever were back then.  I will be making more blasters. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

13 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

Interesting enough in that Psy is the most popular attack set for stalkers at level 50 based on the FotM threads. I made a Psy/dark blaster and at least /dark can fill in when Psy is getting resisted.

Psi Melee is reported to be extremely overpowered in PVP, I wouldn't be surprised if that's why it's popular on Stalkers.  It feels really good, and is really good when you don't run into highly resistant mobs.  It's a bit too ST focused, but I've got some ideas like using cross punch that might help that, /sd or some of the other armors that have a PBAoE attack too that might be good, and there's always the P2W aoe temp powers.  I made a psi/ice I like quite a bit too now, but ran into some serious issues with not having enough AoE and am thinking of respecing to get cross punch and perhaps taking a patron (mu?) with aoe attacks, though I did love moonbeam on my psi/ninj.  He's just never on the top of my priority list for things to play, kind of sitting there with the grav/time controller on the like, but not sure what to do with short list.