Making a Captain America style hero?

Mythus54

I don't mean a full ripoff, I'm making an original character, but I do love the whole "melee with fists and a shield" idea. I know DCUO even made it a dedicated combat style if you paid extra for it.

So I know the shield bit can be a secondary power for a scrapper, but I can't decide on Martial Arts or Street Justice for my melee...

As long as the costume is different I say go for it. Nothing wrong in picking those powers.

I know! I just can't decide lol

I'm a total noob to CoX and don't really know the pros/cons. I'm just going off idea right now.

I've not rolled a lot of melee characters and I'm sure someone will come along with the perfect combination, but it looks to me that a Street Justice/Shield Defense Brute would work well as a Cap-type character. There's also Super Strength for a primary.

I suggest loading up Titan Icon and checking out the powers, that way you don't have to be concerned with server status. You can also play with the costume to your hearts content.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I'd suggest Street Justice. IIRC, martial arts is mostly kicks.

MA does offer punching alt-animations for all attacks except for two, Thunder Kick (one of the 1st attack options) and Crane Kick (2nd to last). Although, Cap did throw a few kicks as well.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I've not rolled a lot of melee characters and I'm sure someone will come along with the perfect combination, but it looks to me that a Street Justice/Shield Defense Brute would work well as a Cap-type character. There's also Super Strength for a primary.

I suggest loading up Titan Icon and checking out the powers, that way you don't have to be concerned with server status. You can also play with the costume to your hearts content.

Why Brute over Scrapper? Just wondering, because that chance t crit and do double damage sounds really nice.

While talking about creation, does the source of my powers matter in any way? What's the difference between choosing magic or tech?

Why Brute over Scrapper? Just wondering, because that chance t crit and do double damage sounds really nice.

While talking about creation, does the source of my powers matter in any way? What's the difference between choosing magic or tech?

Only because super strength is only available to brutes and tanks. Also a punchy set is energy melee but its animations may not be the fit you are looking for.

Super strength is available to Scrappers now.  Powerset proliferation baby!  That said, Cap is definitely a Street Justice/Shield Defense Scrapper.

Nope, just double checked because you got my hopes up that it was added within the past couple days.  Energy Melee and Super Strength are still currently Brute/Tanker only with Stalkers getting a slightly different version of EM but no SS.

I will just refer you back to my first comment.

"I've not rolled a lot of melee character..."

:D

To me Cap seems more like a Brute than a Scrapper (I see Brutes as falling in between Scrappers and Tanks). Also, please explain the Crit Chance and double damage you mentioned in your post. I couldn't find a reference in the wiki for the classes, and I didn't see anything in the (i)nfo provided in the powers during creation.

I will just refer you back to my first comment.

"I've not rolled a lot of melee character..."

:D

To me Cap seems more like a Brute than a Scrapper (I see Brutes as falling in between Scrappers and Tanks). Also, please explain the Crit Chance and double damage you mentioned in your post. I couldn't find a reference in the wiki for the classes, and I didn't see anything in the (i)nfo provided in the powers during creation.

It won't let me upload the screenshot, so I'll just type the end of the Scrapper description:

"Scrappers possess Critical strike capability. Their melee attacks have a chance to sometimes do double damage

I don't mean a full ripoff, I'm making an original character, but I do love the whole "melee with fists and a shield" idea. I know DCUO even made it a dedicated combat style if you paid extra for it.

So I know the shield bit can be a secondary power for a scrapper, but I can't decide on Martial Arts or Street Justice for my melee...

I've played both MA and SJ over the years while the game was live. Honestly, I found SJ far more enjoyable.

My Cap type build is a SJ/Shield scrapper. I did play MA for a bit back on the day, but honestly SJ feels a ton better and works well with /shield. It also has more AoEs, so yeah. To me I honestly didn't even think about MA this time around. I looked at SJ and didn't look back. And yes, /shield works better on Scrappers.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I'm doing SJ/shield too lol.

I'm just stuck on my costume and can't decide if I want a full helmet or not. My original idea was a Kamen Rider style helmet, but it's not really possible. I've worked up ideas for other helms, but honestly open face with like, valkyrie wings or something works just as good with the suit I made...

Super strength is available to Scrappers now.  Powerset proliferation baby!  That said, Cap is definitely a Street Justice/Shield Defense Scrapper.

Nope, just double checked because you got my hopes up that it was added within the past couple days.  Energy Melee and Super Strength are still currently Brute/Tanker only with Stalkers getting a slightly different version of EM but no SS.

Really? I could've sworn I saw SS on the Scrapper creation screen.  Well, nuts.

Any reason why just those two sets? I feel like there are a few you could adjust the colors for and still fit the theme you're mimicking. If you're open to brutes, there's; Savage Melee, Kinetic Melee, Energy Melee (might be a little brighter than you're looking for), and Super Strength.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

SS on a scrapper would be nuts. SS/shield would be all sorts of crazy. I know scrappers ran numbers back in the day, and it was agreed the numbers would likely need to be modified. Imagine SS with crits.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

There were a number of sets back in the day that they never proliferated because it would have been either crazy  (I assume Energy melee comes under this) or crazy boring. For example, I don't think corrupters got FF until the I25 proliferation rounds.

It won't let me upload the screenshot, so I'll just type the end of the Scrapper description:

"Scrappers possess Critical strike capability. Their melee attacks have a chance to sometimes do double damage

Thanks!  :)

• 2 months later
On 5/21/2019 at 1:56 PM, Mythus54 said:

I appreciate everyone's help! This is Valeria, a SJ/Shield Scrapper! Just need to get a good backstory for her, and a nice secret identity costume...

I really wanted a Kamen Rider style armored helmet at first, but I just couldn't design one that looked natural (or all that good, for that matter)

https://imgur.com/a/Azdw8Gb

I'm really digging the color choices you opted for on her costume, and your winged helm choice seems to fit the theme you were going for rather well also.  The only negative criticism I have to say about it is the buckler she has for a shield.   That doesn't look like it offers much in the way of protection, nor does it seem like it would make much of an impact when smashing someone with it.  I realize that the mechanics for the game will make it hit just as hard damage wise and offer the same defense amounts no matter the size, but aesthetics are very important to me, so take this with a grain of salt.  I mean no offense