[Afterburner] +def -fly protection ... only effecting self?

2 hours ago, Joshex said:

"I died maaaaaybe a handful of times" were you trying to be careful? you know, no rambo, waiting till enough is recharged to take the group and targetting carefully, appllying boosts/insps int he right order as needed?

if so there should be no way you should die. if there is, that means the game is broken. "blasters, survivability 4", more like "survivability 0.1" this needs to be looked into.

No, I was speeding through as fast as possible, because I wanted to get through the massive pile of Ouro badges in a reasonable timeframe.  There's just no need to take that much care on -1/x1, even with the challenge debuffs.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

"blasters, survivability 4", more like "survivability 0.1" this needs to be looked into.

It WAS looked into. Back in i24, when they buffed sniper attacks and nukes for all ranged attackers, they gave ALL blasters a self heal or shield of some sort. I don't recall for sure but I think there may have also been improvements to HP (someone else can confirm or deny this).

1 hour ago, Joshex said:

you, know, when I first saw the video of the servers back when it was just a rumor, I read sentinel was a ranged at with armor and I was kinda happy, I said "this is probably arcana's doing, she always talked about the fact no one ever made a ranged +armor AT right in any game." and also thought, "well that'll be great, I might remake my blaster as a sentinel".

Then I went to make one and was like "ok, now how do I get rid of this rifle and fire from my hands.." ... "oh.. you're stuck with it... so all sentinels are tech/natural origin then.." I look forwards to the day sentinels can indeed fire from their hands and forgo the rifle. I mean it's a nice option. but some toons might feel more comfortable with out it graphically. In other-words I was weirded out by the graphical power firing method.

to be honest, "Joshex" was never meant to be an electric blaster, energy blasting was closer, but he was written to be a "beam blaster", back in 2006 the graphical  way that electric blasting fired just looked more similar to what you'd expect of an energy beam than actual energy blasting did. So that's what I went with.

Not sure when or if the devs will get around to making alternate firing animations for sentinels which don't have a gun. The way things look means a lot to me. unless this were a text adventure game. if a sentinel could drop the gun and have firing animations like a blaster, yeah I'd hop over there in no time.

edit: you know what, now that we the players have control of the game (and blasters also only have beam rifle not beam blasting) I think I'll make another thread to suggest that.

This has got to be a joke, right?  

We're being punked.  You got us all.  Well done.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I don't recall for sure but I think there may have also been improvements to HP (someone else can confirm or deny this).

Blasters have always been in the upper rank for max hp numbers amusingly, just a rough crunch of base numbers has them tied for 4th highest (by 1 point :P)

Tank - 1874
Brute - 1499
Scrapper - 1339
Blaster/Sentinel - 1205
Stalker - 1204

Everything else - 1-1.1K

MM - 803 :P

Blasters with +hp from sets/accolades and high regen are pretty beefy, my AR/dev with meh/low def/res has over 1800 and she can just kinda facetank stuff through sheer hp (and Aid Self occasionally).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Godchild said:

Was that around the Defiance revamp n'they kinda overall got their first survival boost? I remember that being a big turning point for the AT along with a new/better/less-abrasive play style.

the change to defiance that let us use our first 3 powers while CCd was a huge boon imo.

9 hours ago, Joshex said:

at 4 enemies something gets up close and personal and I can struggle and try to distance myself again behind a corner apply any insps which could help.

You know, I think this might be one of your problems playing Blasters.  Are you getting much use out of your secondaries?  That's where you can find a lot of survivability for a Blaster. without running away when something looks in your direction.  My main is a very rangy blaster, and I much prefer to hover and snipe, but even she has a single-target immob, a giant slow field, a cone slow, a single-target hold, and a big icy sword for when things don't die way over there.

• Like 1

Regeneratio delenda est!

10 hours ago, Wavicle said:

what are you talking about???

Sentinel FIRE blast does come from your hands!

Sentinel RIFLE uses a Rifle!

yeah, I admit, when I went to make one, I thought, if I'm going to change from blaster to sentinel I might as well do it all right the way I intended at the start, now wheres the beam blasting? oh.. just  a rifle. after that I admit I stopped looking and just went back to finishing my tank. then when it was finished decided to start my blaster, completely forgetting sentinel had other sets.

so sorry for the confusion, I'll maybe give the electric sentinel a look. we'll see.

I really would want beam blasting though.. I know I'm too picky. and because of that I will suffer as it were. don't mind trying to compensate for my personal tastes. Especially seeing as when I actually go through these things, I often don't remember all details about it unless I decide to use it or found some aspect of it interesting, and that can make help from kind people like you lot.. frustrating for you..

again sorry, and thanks for correcting me.

5 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Just for you OP Ive rolled a elec/elec blaster to feel it out afresh. So far from 1-10 it was as easy as pie. flying around zapping mobs down to dust like nothing. Just been street sweeping orange and red LTs and Bosses mainly.

yeah 1 to 10 was easy, the trouble started during 20 to 25, especially missions. I've noticed the contacts want to kill me, "you can find some of this enemy group in this high purple +4/+5 level of the area to you"

2 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

You know, I think this might be one of your problems playing Blasters.  Are you getting much use out of your secondaries?  That's where you can find a lot of survivability for a Blaster. without running away when something looks in your direction.  My main is a very rangy blaster, and I much prefer to hover and snipe, but even she has a single-target immob, a giant slow field, a cone slow, a single-target hold, and a big icy sword for when things don't die way over there.

I wanted to focus on the strengths of the ranged portion, I focused too much on my secondaries originally in 2006, I think at the end I only ended up having 2 ranged attacks + sentinel pet and a largely useless hold. that was silly.

now I have 1 KB power I use when things get up close that need to be hit back because I'm held etc. sometimes I use it as part of the low end use "cheap" damage to kill something or at least make it easier to kill if I'm low on end. honestly I use it maybe 50% of the time, things (enemy AI) tend to default to run+range if they survive the initial assault on the group. I only need to have 1 KB attack, and honestly I don't plan to keep using it once the build is finished, it just comes with it. Thats why I took the PBAoE attack in the primary (eventually, after it was suggested)

holds, there's tesla cage, which is single target and minor damage I really think that's not useful enough to keep in the build after years of using it. I mean if it was TAoE that would work, or if it was single target and at least moderate damage that'd work too.. but it's not. moving on the secondaries have a disorient tacked on to each except the first mandatory KB one. that would make me have to drop focus from ranged abilities to really take any, in exchange for single target melee attacks which allow enemies to get too close anyways.

so I'm largely just using the buffs from the secondary and took the last on the list only because it's extreme damage and only took it at 50, honestly I was contemplating taking Cryo Freeze Ray instead to have some sort of cold damage and a hold. I may yet still do that. we'll see. whatever goes there will just have a single slot. I really decided to take total focus because I'm going for damage and freeze ray and tesla cage aren't it, the TAoE sleep grenade could maybe be useful too. I was going to take that to get another TAoE power but the minor damage again turned me off and I eventually took short circuit instead and much earlier.

13 hours ago, Joshex said:

you, know, when I first saw the video of the servers back when it was just a rumor, I read sentinel was a ranged at with armor and I was kinda happy, I said "this is probably arcana's doing, she always talked about the fact no one ever made a ranged +armor AT right in any game." and also thought, "well that'll be great, I might remake my blaster as a sentinel".

Then I went to make one and was like "ok, now how do I get rid of this rifle and fire from my hands.." ... "oh.. you're stuck with it... so all sentinels are tech/natural origin then.." I look forwards to the day sentinels can indeed fire from their hands and forgo the rifle. I mean it's a nice option. but some toons might feel more comfortable with out it graphically. In other-words I was weirded out by the graphical power firing method.

to be honest, "Joshex" was never meant to be an electric blaster, energy blasting was closer, but he was written to be a "beam blaster", back in 2006 the graphical  way that electric blasting fired just looked more similar to what you'd expect of an energy beam than actual energy blasting did. So that's what I went with.

Not sure when or if the devs will get around to making alternate firing animations for sentinels which don't have a gun. The way things look means a lot to me. unless this were a text adventure game. if a sentinel could drop the gun and have firing animations like a blaster, yeah I'd hop over there in no time.

edit: you know what, now that we the players have control of the game (and blasters also only have beam rifle not beam blasting) I think I'll make another thread to suggest that.

What does this have to do with anything in this thread?

You started out basically demanding major defensive buffs because your elec/elec blaster just cant survive.

We offer advice on how to improve said elec/elecs build. You continue to persist that you just cant survive on a blaster so we say screw it, go sent. Now you say well sent has to use a rifle, when we are discussing elec blasting!

Go make an elec/whatever sentinel and call it a day. Or whatever kind of sent..  Because at this point it seems like you are just all over the place, I wont even call it moving the goal post because at this point there is no goal, no field, no game. Just a guy out in a mud pit in the rain yelling at the sky to stop getting him wet and muddy.

I dont care what power sets you use. A blaster is a killer. And the game has no magical secret super kill you dif happening. Maybe your getting caught by ambushes connected to a specific mish now and than. but if your at x1-1 than just know if your still face planting a lot, well its a problem behind the keyboard.

but Ill be sure to zoom this toon I made to the 20s today, Ill wreck striga like always for sweet tasty merits and temp powers. I mean I genuinely cant even fathom a person struggling with a blaster after lvl 32. Not even before than with the current toughness of blasters compared to the old days.

so I'm largely just using the buffs from the secondary and took the last on the list only because it's extreme damage and only took it at 50, honestly I was contemplating taking Cryo Freeze Ray instead to have some sort of cold damage and a hold. I may yet still do that. we'll see. whatever goes there will just have a single slot.

So in other words, yes.  You didn't take the melee-based mitigation tools from your secondary, and so you struggle to handle mobs when they manage to close to melee.

As other people have suggested, if you're don't like the way that blasters play even after the major buffs they got in I24, and you want a more def-based game experience, perhaps an Elec Sentinel with a non-clicky secondary might be more to your taste then trying to hammer the Blaster round peg into the square hole of your playstyle.

Regeneratio delenda est!

53 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

What does this have to do with anything in this thread?

You started out basically demanding major defensive buffs because your elec/elec blaster just cant survive.

We offer advice on how to improve said elec/elecs build. You continue to persist that you just cant survive on a blaster so we say screw it, go sent. Now you say well sent has to use a rifle, when we are discussing elec blasting!

Go make an elec/whatever sentinel and call it a day. Or whatever kind of sent..  Because at this point it seems like you are just all over the place, I wont even call it moving the goal post because at this point there is no goal, no field, no game. Just a guy out in a mud pit in the rain yelling at the sky to stop getting him wet and muddy.

I dont care what power sets you use. A blaster is a killer. And the game has no magical secret super kill you dif happening. Maybe your getting caught by ambushes connected to a specific mish now and than. but if your at x1-1 than just know if your still face planting a lot, well its a problem behind the keyboard.

but Ill be sure to zoom this toon I made to the 20s today, Ill wreck striga like always for sweet tasty merits and temp powers. I mean I genuinely cant even fathom a person struggling with a blaster after lvl 32. Not even before than with the current toughness of blasters compared to the old days.

nope, this discussion progressed, people asked questions and made comments I responded to those appropriately, some were not about afterburner, some were not about blasters, some were not about electric blasting. that's why this convo is all over the place. I understand some people are trying to help. I understand you're trying to give advice, but I had my reasons for doing and not doing what I did or didn't do before making this thread.

This thread was asking for a quick fix to face-planting occassionaly when at min diff it should be survivable. I'm not faceplanting often, it just bothers me that it's happening about every few missions in the 20's. maybe thats what blasters are about. and thats my point. they should be at least tough enough that when enhanced to level or +3 with DOs and SOs with a decent amount of survival pools, even a surprise ambush or large mob should not be able to actually threaten someone to die even rarely at min difficulty when all proper pacing and precautions are being taken to the best level possible.

I use afterburner if I have a slot to spare, which is not often...

A feature I truly like is the control of the flight, especially when stopping unlike the excessively sloppy flight control that bounces you around like a pinball machine, where hitting a wall adds more energy for movement instead of real world physics of absorbing the energy...

I would like to see afterburner usable in tactical situations, such as combat, and have no penalties due to the better maneuverability control, but no defensive bonuses as hover provides.

Sue

1 hour ago, MsSmart said:

I use afterburner if I have a slot to spare, which is not often...

A feature I truly like is the control of the flight, especially when stopping unlike the excessively sloppy flight control that bounces you around like a pinball machine, where hitting a wall adds more energy for movement instead of real world physics of absorbing the energy...

I would like to see afterburner usable in tactical situations, such as combat, and have no penalties due to the better maneuverability control, but no defensive bonuses as hover provides.

Sue

With a few fly speed lvl 50 IOs in swift, and hover, you can get hovers speed up quite a bit if perfect control high speed slight is something you want. However the drif on flight is actually very useful to blasters as it can help you keep moving while blasting in fights were the baddy is dropping a aoe effect you want to get out of the way of.