Status report on my converter work.

Neogumbercules

So it's been 7 days since I started this. I've spent about 30 minutes to an hour per night working on this. My character had <100k influence when I began. So what did I do....

• I did one run of AE 125 which got me about 28 million influence. Even a Fire/Rad brute with no sets could do this. Maybe not as fast, and it would have to be a lower difficulty, but this was an easy way to make some start up cash (I primarily use this Brute to PL my alts).
  • First I practiced with some level 50 uncommons just to see what would happen and saw how easy it was to convert into rares.
  • I went into the AH and put out a bunch of bids on random level 30-39 uncommon recipes.
  • I spent my startup cash on converters and crafting the uncommons.
  • I then just converted all of the uncommons once within their own category like "Hold" which guaranteed that they upscaled to Rares.
  • Then I Converted said rares in the "Rare" category and prayed for something good.
  • If I got something inside of a set with a desirable proc like LotG or Miracle I would put in the extra converters for "In-Set Conversion" to hunt down the proc. If I got something decent like Obliteration or some melee set or whatever I would throw it on the AH for 1-2 million. If I got any defense set or any healing set I would do the in-category conversion to nudge my way into a LotG or Numina/Miracle.
  • By Thursday or Friday I had about 500 million influence. This includes spending millions on converters, however whenever I needed to buy converters I would do a run of 125 just to break up the monotony of standing around staring at the AH menu.
  • I invested some money into buying a ton of uncommon healing sets.
  • I upscaled those uncommons to Miracles, Preventative Medicines, and Numina's and listed them at competetive but slightly less than the going rate at the time.

So as of right now I am sitting on.... 642 million influence.

I can't stress enough how easy this is once you get the hang of it. It's also addicting. Converting is basically like playing a slot machine only you get the power to influence the results very specifically. Anyone who wants to fund a build should be doing this. Even if you only want to do something specific like get your LotG and Healing procs, you can save yourself tens of millions of influence by converting them up.

• Like 7

Great job!  Some comments based on your bullet points:

* That's as good a way as any to get initial capital.  I would use 20mm:  10mm to buy portable converting table, about 8mm to buy converters, about 2mm to buy recipes and salvage.

* I generally vendor or AH level 50s and buy lower levels.  The crafting costs at 50 are significantly higher than they are at 49 or lower and it adds up.

* It's definitely worthwhile putting in bids ahead of time rather than buying whatever is available.  Also, I've had success with varying level ranges:  10, 15, 30, 31, 41.  Each of those is a slightly different strategy.

* Yup.

* Many categories have only one uncommon recipe and one rare recipe for a given level.  That's your best bet to create a rare with 2 converters.

* Yup,

* For a six-piece set, on average it takes 5 conversions (15 converters) to get to a specific piece in the set.  It could take one conversion.  It could take a million (although the highest I've done is somewhere in the 50s).

* My basic rule of thumb on sell or reroll is: is this something that I have wanted to buy in the last month?  I generally reroll by rare Miracles that are not procs.

* SO MUCH of your profits go back into buying converters!

* Yup.

* Yup.

Anyone can do this, and once you get the fever, it becomes inconceivable that not everyone does do it.

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

On 7/5/2020 at 11:07 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

Anyone can do this, and once you get the fever, it becomes inconceivable that not everyone does do it.

It really is easy money. It's a bit complicated, but there are guides showing how to do it and once you've been through the process, it's easy to make big $$.

But it is a fair amount of work and not everyone wants to click that much.

Yep. I started doing this several months back and was surprised how easy it is to make money. 

I actually haven’t done it for probably 2 months though. That coupled with me power leveling about 6 alts in the last couple weeks has made me go broke. I’ll have to build up a good stash again. Good thing I have about 1.5k converters from the merits I’ve been earning lately. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, gourdhead said:

One thing I do to save money on converters is to always have standing bids at low prices.  That's how I stumbled on someone dumping 3k converters at at 50k apiece a few weeks ago.  Bought the lot.

It could well have been me. Before I refined my process I was spending all of an alts money on super packs and when I'd go to sell the ATOs I'd realize I didn't have enough for the market fees. Instead of switching to another alt (which would take time) I'd just throw on all the converters I had and post them at 5 inf. I'd keep doing that until I had enough cash to cover the fees for all my ATO sales on that oon.  I was also limited in sales slots, so selling things at 5 and making sure they sold meant I didn't have to deal with running out of slots and waiting until things sold (again, taking time). 

Of course, it could have been someone else as well. But if I'm not the top seller of converters, I'm in the top 10 for sure. I have 12K to dispose of that I'll probably put up this weekend, but probably at 65K.

I seem to play the actual game less and less and the market more and more...

On 7/25/2020 at 2:15 PM, Troyusrex said:

It could well have been me. Before I refined my process I was spending all of an alts money on super packs and when I'd go to sell the ATOs I'd realize I didn't have enough for the market fees. Instead of switching to another alt (which would take time) I'd just throw on all the converters I had and post them at 5 inf. I'd keep doing that until I had enough cash to cover the fees for all my ATO sales on that oon.  I was also limited in sales slots, so selling things at 5 and making sure they sold meant I didn't have to deal with running out of slots and waiting until things sold (again, taking time). 

Of course, it could have been someone else as well. But if I'm not the top seller of converters, I'm in the top 10 for sure. I have 12K to dispose of that I'll probably put up this weekend, but probably at 65K.

I seem to play the actual game less and less and the market more and more...

I was thinking about loaning an alt 1 billion inf and spending it all on Super Packs just to see what happens. Do you think I'll have a good chance of earning back that bill? According to Paragon Wiki each ATO has about a half of a percent chance of being in a pack, and there are like a hundred of them so... I feel like my chances are good to get one in every pack. 

6 hours ago, Neogumbercules said:

I was thinking about loaning an alt 1 billion inf and spending it all on Super Packs just to see what happens. Do you think I'll have a good chance of earning back that bill? According to Paragon Wiki each ATO has about a half of a percent chance of being in a pack, and there are like a hundred of them so... I feel like my chances are good to get one in every pack. 

At 1 billion that’s 100 packs. You should get more than 110 ATOs from it. If you sell those for 8 million each (10 for brute and blaster), convert and sell merits and brain storms plus sell everything else you should make a profit. If you use the converters to make more popular ATOs your profit will be even better. If you catalyze some ATOs it might be even better. 

My return is usually about 23%, but that’s with no converting or catalysing. 

just know, it’s a lot of clicks. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I was kinda thinking that. I've built up a decent amount of Catalysts so I can just use them. I found that the few ATOs that I did sell usually sell for around twice as much once catalysed which makes no sense to me since a person could just buy them for 2 mill and save 8 mill to make their own superior ATOs... 

It's hard to think about spending 1 billion hard earned Influence up front but I don't see what else I'm gonna do with it... I only need like 4 winter IOs for my farmer then I'm done. 

On 7/10/2020 at 11:48 PM, Myrmidon said:

Another option is to save up merits from running the rest of the game content, transfer them over to your builder with Hero Merits in the mail and turn those into Converters. 

Yep, my fire/kin corrupter got 1500 merits over a 3 week period.

Ended up making about 4 billion across 5 toons using those merits for converters.

"Making inf is hard and needs farming" /sarcasm

• Haha 1