Your absolute favorite Dominator?

Crowcus Pocus

So, I'm guilty.

Guilty of never having played Dominators up until a few weeks ago. But now that I've given it a shot, I fell madly in love with my Earth/Earth domi. Granted, it doesn't steamroll through +4/8 at the same speed of some of my controllers, but dammmmn sure it's fun!

Lock things down with one click, and then unleash your inner mini-scrapper and start smashing things. Luv it.

What about you? What's your poison?

• Like 1

Warning: This post may contain an opinion.

Plant/Savage is great and a lot of fun. Not great against AVs.

Mind/Nrg is also a lot of fun, less effective on teams but great against AVs.

Dark/Nrg and Dark/Savage are also excellent options to either of the above.

5 hours ago, kiramon said:

I like Grav/Savage - but purely for the mass teleporting of things/yourself that happen (Savage Leap has like a 2.5 second recharge...)

This sounds like a good enough reason to me!

5 hours ago, Coyote said:

Plant/Savage is great and a lot of fun. Not great against AVs.

Mind/Nrg is also a lot of fun, less effective on teams but great against AVs.

Dark/Nrg and Dark/Savage are also excellent options to either of the above.

You know, I've never tried the Dark control set. Maybe now is the time!

Just got into Dominators myself. I honestly had to rewire my brain coming from armoured ATs like Sentinels, VEATs, and Brutes. at first, I couldn't fathom how an AT that's not packing like a Blaster can survive. After reading about them quite a bit, I found this one post here in the forums that "dominators finish the fight before it starts." I like that. Also, the concept of not being armoured grew on me. My toons tend to be B and C-listers who have some power/skill, but not very strong.

I now have:

Dark/Martial. I like the dark power in general in any AT. And I wish shuriken throwing would be more prevalent in other ATs. Primarily made the toon purely for shuriken throws. quite fun and different. She's a ninja, and sadly none of the patron/epic pools will let her use a katana or other ninja tools like caltrops. but still decided on levelling her up to 50.

Fire/Fire. the animation for fire is one of my favourites as well. I made it a point to create a fire toon in almost all ATs. that said, this bloke has been created ages ago, and dusted off the shelves just today. Still as enjoyable as I envisioned. Update. This toon has since reached 50, my first dom. very happy with him from powers to animation to concept and costume. 😃  Now awaiting play time for his incarnates.

Ice/Ice. I like the concept, I like the costume. I'm not a huge fan of the power in most ATs. Just a personal thing. also parked at level 10.  Update. This toon has also reached 50. Ice grew on me and I really like the power now, thanks to this dom. and her costume won 2nd place in a contest, bagged 1 mil inf. 😃  Also awaiting play time for incarnates.

Grav/Energy. Made this one because of a request from an SG mate. While I like the powers, I'm currently having trouble with concept (RP-wise). so he's parked for now at level 21 until I can figure him out. I have trouble playing a toon if the concept and costume are not fleshed out. Update. Revamped the concept and costume. I've made him into my first melee dom. quite fun, though I'm still trying fumbling with the Grav powers. This bloke just dinged 49.

Earth/Earth. Just rolled this one yesterday. An SG mate urged me to try it (as it's his fave). haven't played her after the test drive to Level 10. seems promising. Earth sounds and feels strong.

Mind/Savage. Probably my favourite atm because the toon concept is fleshed out and I know what direction her character is going. Also, I enjoyed my Savage Brute very much, so this is an extension of that. (chanced upon an invite to unlock Patron pools the other day, so she now mind controls mobs, bees, birds and later sharks!) this toon just edges ahead of the Dark/Martial. Update. I found that I didn't enjoy Mind so much, so I re-rolled her into Dark/Savage, because I really like Dark.

They're all around level 10-20ish primarily because I got enamoured by Doms so much that I can't decide which one to play when I log on. These guys will burn through my cache of IOs and inf have made me extremely poor!  

Update: Just added an Elec/Elec and  Plant/Thorns (based on Swamp Thing). Not too original, I know, but hey. Will be taking them out for a test drive later 😃  I suspect I will be playing the Earth next... as soon as I think of a concept for /Rad.

Edited by Six Six
  • Like 2

1.  Elec.  Elec.  Patron Elec.  (It's not the damage through put...it's the absolute mastery of the battle field....slowly torturing enemies to death.)

2.  Stone.  Stone.  (Imperious control of the battle field...with punishing, bone crunching melee to back it up.)

3.  Gravity.  Energy.  (Kinetic 'hard control' strategy backed by a new energy mechanism for emphatic melee combat.  Difficult to master but rewarding.)

Yes.  You have to 'rewire' your brain coming from a Brute, Scrapper, Tank or Sentinel background.  But that's why you're here, right?

You want a challenge?

Dominators are the combat art form AT.

Azrael.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Six Six said:

J

Mind/Savage. Probably my favourite atm because the toon concept is fleshed out and I know what direction her character is going. Also, I enjoyed my Savage Brute very much, so this is an extension of that. (chanced upon an invite to unlock Patron pools the other day, so she now mind controls mobs, bees, birds and later sharks!) this toon just edges ahead of the Dark/Martial.

Ooooh Mind/Savage sounds fuuuuun.

grumble grumble altitis

• Haha 1

It is. She's a wily one, often sitting on a ledge and popping a confuse on unsuspecting mobs. I don't earn XP for mobs killed in the confusion, but the sheer fun of making mobs fight amongst themselves is reward enough.

Also used the combat slime aura and coloured it red so it looks like blood dripping from after her claws do their thing. And with beast run, she leaves bloody paw prints on the floor. simple joys of life.

Actually, I'm just content with finding another concept to seamlessly use the Leviathan Patron Pool on. 😃 

• Like 1

I have an earth/earth that just feels powerful. Earth control has always been my fav control powerset. The sounds are amazing. Earth Assault makes me feel like a brute.

ice/ice/ice is probably is my fav Dom. Once ice patch is down i just rain down the icicles and watch the mobs melt away.

I had a plant/thorny but rerolled as plant/fire and have enjoyed the results., Seeds+vines+carion creepers is fun to watch, then  shooting some fire at the mobs is satisfying. i use him a lot in fire farms to pull mobs.. 

• Like 3

I´ve started playing dominators and controllers only recently, like march this year.

So far Ice/Ice/Ice is my absolute favourite and by now my most played toon ever.
Ice Assault is just insane. Fast animation, very high damage (ST damage is higher than my blaster's), both ranged and melee. Ice Control is ok. Great visuals though

I got plant/dark to 50, but aside from the awesome PbAoE, Dark Assault feels slow and lacking to me.

Got eearth/earth to 35 yesterday and realized that I´m not a fan of almost only melee damage.

Elec/elec sits at 20. no real feal about her yet.

Currently looking for something to pair with energy assault.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DougReyn said:

Ice Assault is just insane. Fast animation, very high damage (ST damage is higher than my blaster's), both ranged and melee.

Try messing with some damage procs if you haven't yet.  Ice sword, bitter ice blast, ice slash, and ice sword circle all play well with damage procs. 

I just finished leveling up my Gravity/Savage Dominator to 50 and all incarnates.  I did it completely solo on the red side and had a great time with it.  I had very little trouble with content (early at level, bosses once SOs started, kept at Elite bosses not AVs, and increased level and spawn amounts after my alpha slot)  Wormhole is great fun grabbing groups and shoving them into a corner.  It was a great control power, grabbing groups of enemies does not agro the ones you didn't grab, recharges quickly, and if you teleport them into a corner you don't have much problem with them wandering around. 

Singularity deserves its reputation as the best pet in game.  Too many times my Singularity held off an ambush that I wasn't even aware of.  I was really impressed one time when I turned around and found my singularity holding one of the weaker elite bosses. 

Savage is just fun with feral charge.  The heal is just ok, the PbAoE is not worth it, but the rest of the power set is fun.  The endurance mod and small recharge mod from having blood certainly helps. 

I made this character to do red side content, one of the nice things the Villian Alignment reward power completely fills your domination bar.  Its great to have if you accidentally let permadom slip.

• Like 3

Melee Dominating is the very best BANG! FOR YOU BUCK in all of CoX*

For my money, you can't beat getting danger close to your quarry, holding them down via control and proceeding to arrest them with hard hitting, quick activating melee attacks.

For reference I play:

Ice/Stone/Ice
Ice/Nrg/Ice
Ice/Psi/Ice

Fire/Stone/Fire
Fire/Savage/Fire
Fire/Nrg/Soul

Elec/Psi/Psi
Elec/Nrg/Primal
Elec/Stone/Mu

As you may have noticed; I've only rolled Primaries that have a PBAoE control toggle. This wasn't by accident or mistake. Get up close and break faces. 

Plant and Dark are fine, fine sets but I find them lacking in visceral crunch factor. 

23 hours ago, kiramon said:

I like Grav/Savage - but purely for the mass teleporting of things/yourself that happen (Savage Leap has like a 2.5 second recharge...)

I've been loving a grav/psi that I play this way with Jaunt.  I have keys set to auto-cast it forward 100ft or so, backward 30 ft, or straight to the target.  I feel like a mix of Magneto and Nightcrawler and it's easily the most fun I've had in a while.  Zip in, Psi Shockwave, Drain Psyche, Energy Transfer, and zip back to safety. 

On this character I've skipped a lot more primary/secondary powers than I'm used to, and it's been working great.  Really tight rotation with mostly single-target control and stacking that Impact.  And I save my Singularity as a sudden auto-hit force field I throw in front of myself if I get into trouble.  Gravity Control's always been my favorite set but trying it with Psi Assault has really taken it to the next level for me. 

Though I think I'll have to try the Savage Assault set now.  I had no idea you could get the teleport power up so quickly.  What primary would synergize well you think?  I'm leaning toward Dark Control because I've played that the least.  Maybe Plants?  Or is it better with Electric or something with more PBAoE powers?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, capricorpse said:

I've been loving a grav/psi that I play this way with Jaunt.  I have keys set to auto-cast it forward 100ft or so, backward 30 ft, or straight to the target.  I feel like a mix of Magneto and Nightcrawler and it's easily the most fun I've had in a while.  Zip in, Psi Shockwave, Drain Psyche, Energy Transfer, and zip back to safety. 

On this character I've skipped a lot more primary/secondary powers than I'm used to, and it's been working great.  Really tight rotation with mostly single-target control and stacking that Impact.  And I save my Singularity as a sudden auto-hit force field I throw in front of myself if I get into trouble.  Gravity Control's always been my favorite set but trying it with Psi Assault has really taken it to the next level for me. 

Though I think I'll have to try the Savage Assault set now.  I had no idea you could get the teleport power up so quickly.  What primary would synergize well you think?  I'm leaning toward Dark Control because I've played that the least.  Maybe Plants?  Or is it better with Electric or something with more PBAoE powers?

Its cooldown is really short out of the box so yah its like a 2.3 second recharge.... 

Dark, Elec, or Plant would work honestly.  Elec though I think is too slow to lockdwn for it, but that's just my opinion. Savage is such a fast paced set...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, josh1622 said:

Try messing with some damage procs if you haven't yet.  Ice sword, bitter ice blast, ice slash, and ice sword circle all play well with damage procs. 

Oh i did. BiB, Circle and Block of Ice are procced to max. If i could spare the recharge i'd do slash also.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kiramon said:

Its cooldown is really short out of the box so yah its like a 2.3 second recharge.... 

Dark, Elec, or Plant would work honestly.  Elec though I think is too slow to lockdwn for it, but that's just my opinion. Savage is such a fast paced set...

wow that's great news haha

maybe I'll try it with Fire control?  i'm realizing I don't think I've played that since I started on HC.  Savage assault seems appropriate for running around with those little imps haha

Plant/Fire back on Live.

Currently my Dark/Dark villain is too low to make an opinion so I'd stick with Plant/Fire.

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

I've got a few doms I've enjoyed, mostly Mind doms, the seamless use of all the different powers and the amount of control in the set just suits me to a T.  I've been an old /Nrg player from the start of villains so when this revamp dropped, this fresh take on the secondary left me feeling no shame on how OP it now feels.   

My absolute fav character is my Mind/Nrg

I know not everyone loves Mind control but Energy Assault (probably the other revamped sets as well) are a great pairing with anything, especially the newer sets like Plant and Dark.  

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 2

On 7/9/2020 at 2:47 PM, laudwic said:

I just finished leveling up my Gravity/Savage Dominator to 50 and all incarnates.  I did it completely solo on the red side and had a great time with it.  I had very little trouble with content (early at level, bosses once SOs started, kept at Elite bosses not AVs, and increased level and spawn amounts after my alpha slot)  Wormhole is great fun grabbing groups and shoving them into a corner.  It was a great control power, grabbing groups of enemies does not agro the ones you didn't grab, recharges quickly, and if you teleport them into a corner you don't have much problem with them wandering around. 

Singularity deserves its reputation as the best pet in game.  Too many times my Singularity held off an ambush that I wasn't even aware of.  I was really impressed one time when I turned around and found my singularity holding one of the weaker elite bosses. 

Savage is just fun with feral charge.  The heal is just ok, the PbAoE is not worth it, but the rest of the power set is fun.  The endurance mod and small recharge mod from having blood certainly helps. 

I made this character to do red side content, one of the nice things the Villian Alignment reward power completely fills your domination bar.  Its great to have if you accidentally let permadom slip.

Singularity. 

A great pet.

Azrael.