TP Healers in The Hollows

Anyone recall  back in the day, bunches of folks would sit out near Hollows gate.

If anyone died in the field, those good samaritans would port them back to gate and rez them.

From reading a few posts elsewhere it looks like Hollows is now too easy to need this but.....I will investigate and may revive an old tradition😁

Paragon City Search & Rescue (PCSAR) supergroup on Virtue--and I think on other servers--back on live was one example. Taxibots was the other common one. The Hollows was a really scary place back then, everyone loved the assistance. And we didn't just sit, but actively patrolled the more common pathways in the zone so people could make it to missions without dying.

This was also back when you could create a pre-ED "pure empath" (yeah I can see the eyerolls now) they were really useful and sought after back then. The Hollows patrol was quite common. Once ED hit though, such patrolling declined quite a bit (since it nerfed the "pure empath" as a concept). Not sure at what point the mission arcs stopped forcing us all to the Hollows, but when that happened, patrolling medics and taxis lost their jobs. 😜  Given the option, everyone skipped the zone.

I did my time patrolling back then with CFI-MEDIC911, but I'd never create such an alt now. Really doesn't make sense in the current landscape of the game (IMHO).

But I'm also not going to discourage you either. I enjoyed my time being "hero to the heroes," some of the most memorable I've had since I started playing. You might feel the same way. Let us know how it turns out?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

I was trying to think who did this.

Yeah, there are still badge tours on occasion. As far as the old Hollows? Well... all I can say is people loved my Warshade. Recall friend at low level? Yep...

You know. I should get on a lowbie and see if I can remember how to run to Julius without cutting through Death Valley. Of course, stuff doesn't do a late-spawn in to instakill you, either.

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

I was trying to think who did this.

Yeah, there are still badge tours on occasion. As far as the old Hollows? Well... all I can say is people loved my Warshade. Recall friend at low level? Yep...

You know. I should get on a lowbie and see if I can remember how to run to Julius without cutting through Death Valley. Of course, stuff doesn't do a late-spawn in to instakill you, either.

Entering through AP, hang a right and hug the wall, that will take you almost all the way to the bridge for Julius.

It's a lot easier now with the use of Ninja Run.

A lot of selflessness on display in the old game. One of the reasons I missed it so.

Taxibots and Badge Tours were both very nice!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

1 hour ago, DoctorDitko said:

A lot of selflessness on display in the old game. One of the reasons I missed it so.

Taxibots and Badge Tours were both very nice!

I’ve seen Badge Tours in game.

No need for teleporters in the Hollows anymore, and not because it’s too easy. There is a hospital station at the entrance so if you release from death you get ported back to the entrance gate. Back in the old days you’d get sent to Atlas Park hospital...

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Very true. But there was a personal touch in dropping on your face and getting a message, "Taxibot XXX online. Please invite me to your team and stand by for transport."

Sniff. Something in my eye.

• Thanks 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I did have a pure empath back in the day, although rarely used her. She was named Harlequin Healer.

Only original alt I have not remade since coming back since, it sounds like it would be pointless.

Might be nice sometime to maybe do it and team along with a couple of real new babies and just keep them ticking along. Give them a taste of COH "old skool" 😁

On 7/13/2020 at 2:19 PM, CFIndustries said:

Paragon City Search & Rescue (PCSAR) supergroup on Virtue--and I think on other servers--back on live was one example.

PCSAR was actually founded on Infinity, then expanded to some other servers.

We are now on Everlasting.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

52 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

PCSAR was actually founded on Infinity, then expanded to some other servers.

We are now on Everlasting.

Ah, thanks for correcting my faulty memory.

Good to hear PCSAR survived in some form, was a great group of people. My lasting memory of the last day on Live was I re-created CFI-MEDIC911 for nostalgia's sake ("going out as I came in") and literally got re-invited to PCSAR seconds before the servers were shut down. It was very fitting. 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 12:49 PM, Dafydd Hywel said:

Anyone recall  back in the day, bunches of folks would sit out near Hollows gate.

If anyone died in the field, those good samaritans would port them back to gate and rez them.

From reading a few posts elsewhere it looks like Hollows is now too easy to need this but.....I will investigate and may revive an old tradition😁

I think you would be wasting your time. For one, there's [Return to Battle] a self-rez that likely everyone that knows about it, gets it at p2w when they start, unless it's their first character. 
Further, with the SG TP macro, if you don't have the self-rez, (or a wakie) you use that option to go to your base hospital and you're right back in the game. 

Most of those tp services were useful because we lacked travel powers until level 14. Now, we can avoid the npcs, either by flying overhead, zipping by them at Super Speed, which grants a measure of stealth, or just jumping past them. 

I'd be real curious to know this statistic: Average # of player defeats in the Hollows on a given day on HC vs Average # of defeats on a given day in the Hollows before the shut-down.  

• 3 years later

Taxibots were amazing back in the day and saved many a fruitless hour running back from Atlas Hospital to the Hollows mission - and vice versa.

The Hollows is vastly different to what it was originally, and mostly that is an improvement, but I can't help but feel sadly other improvements in the game have made the arcs within Eastgate almost entirely redundant. Part of me thinks that's actually a great shame because some of the story telling there is fantastic and I'd argue much better than about 85% of the content in this game. The issue was that once you've defeated Frostfire for the seventeenth time it began to pall somewhat and the ubiquity of the Hollows arcs as your levelling path kind of bludgeoned the admiration for the story from you.

But yeah, good times. Thanks for the reminder! 👍

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

Back on Union the SNHS (Supernatural Health Service) used to regularly patrol the Hollows.  As my main was and still is the Empath (Psy) I still occasionally pop in fly around and see if there are any lowbies

In need of a buff, a heal or a Rez sadly it’s very quiet in there most of the time.   Fun times.  Have since respecced my empath into quite a formidable Incarnate but I don’t have any of the team focused powers other than RA and RegenA.  Different times. Just have such an emotional attachment to my first 50 I can’t seem to leave him alone