Let me disable insta-snipe

Greycat

I ... really am not a fan of the current "in combat insta-snipe." Yes, yes, "snipes are usable in combat without being interrupted, etc, etc." I'd still love to either have them the old way (attached to ToHit) or just - have the ability to turn them off entirely.

I've used snipes since I started playing. Long cast for more damage? Works for me. Now, though, if I'm in combat, if I'm setting something up, or something else even considers attacking me, the snipe goes "instant" and damage drops, even though I don't want it to.

Example. Running the first SSA on a Dark/Dark corruptor. I'd like to hit the temple leader (for instance) with HT to stun him, then snipe. Except as soon as I hit HT, it goes instant and cuts my damage, so if I want to use it, I've got to wait for it to turn off.

I've had it flash on and off as I go through a zone because things target me, even if I never see or get hit with an attack. I've had it flash on just seemingly at random. It's thoroughly annoying.

So, yeah. I'd like the choice to just completely kill it. Give me the option of having my snipes back the way they were.  If I'm in combat, I've got *all my other attacks.* (And yes, I've successfully used original long-snipes in combat, frequently.)

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I like how snipes are currently, there's much better use of them in the fight now and I'd venture to say there's more for how it is now than against.  But I would offer to suggest with that new pvp snipe set they made, maybe they could reverse what the proc does, it will allow you to have the long version of the snipe and cancels out the insta-snipe.  Not sure how many people use this new set I still see Manticore as the superior set and that proc as it is now is redundant.  Think that set would get a lot more use and that proc in general would provide variety for those who are more in your boat. 

There might be some fallout with how it works in pvp though so maybe revamping another snipe set with this yang version of the proc may be the way to go.  Either way win win for everyone I'd think.  

PS:  Btw it seems I post quite frequently right after you.  Don't mean to but I have an orange cat that stalks me all day so I guess I'm just used to seeing an orange cat and having to say something. 

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Haijinx said:

There is an IO that makes all your snipes insta.   The set has decent bonuses.

Maybe they could do the same thing that makes them all slow.

This was my thought when reading the OP, a new IO proc 

If you have the ToHit required to get the old Insta Snipe, then you still have the same level of damage as the old Insta Snipe, right?

I thought that's how the new rule worked.  More +ToHit, more bonus damage, up until a certain amount of +ToHit, which equaled the old version of Insta Snipe.  So the difference is, now everyone gets Insta Snipe, and not just those who hit +22% ToHit.

21 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'm all for an option to choose either current or older snipe.  I also miss the dynamic.

+1 from me.  I love the new insta-snipe, as it makes my snipe power a part of my regular rotation.  However, there are definitely times when I wish I could suppress the insta-snipe for the regular old snipe, without having to not attack (or be attacked) for 8 seconds.  I'd gladly give up insta-snipe for 8 seconds if I could occasionally get regular snipe while in combat, again.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

8 hours ago, BrandX said:

If you have the ToHit required to get the old Insta Snipe, then you still have the same level of damage as the old Insta Snipe, right?

I thought that's how the new rule worked.  More +ToHit, more bonus damage, up until a certain amount of +ToHit, which equaled the old version of Insta Snipe.  So the difference is, now everyone gets Insta Snipe, and not just those who hit +22% ToHit.

Correct.