Hi, I'm your new official PvP community rep. Ask me anything.

• 1 month later

There's a lot I am not getting about the pvp zones. My defense drops over 27%, just entering a pvp zone. I use a luck - supposed to increase my defense - if it does, I can't tell. I got one of the Super lucks, and my defense doesn't move from the measly 20% I had before I took it. 

Is there no way to make the pvp zone behave like it does in pve when dealing with npcs? I get there was an attempt to do some kind of half-baked balancing between the ATs - but what's the point of inspirations if they provide no value? 

On 8/6/2020 at 9:32 AM, Ukase said:

There's a lot I am not getting about the pvp zones. My defense drops over 27%, just entering a pvp zone. I use a luck - supposed to increase my defense - if it does, I can't tell. I got one of the Super lucks, and my defense doesn't move from the measly 20% I had before I took it. 

Is there no way to make the pvp zone behave like it does in pve when dealing with npcs? I get there was an attempt to do some kind of half-baked balancing between the ATs - but what's the point of inspirations if they provide no value? 

The power you use that affect NPCs will have PvE effects against PvE targets even in a PvP zone, but powers that affect you or other players follow the PvP ruleset. PvP diminishing returns is always present regardless of what you're doing which is why about the only inspirations that matter in PvP are greens and sometimes blues.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

On 5/23/2019 at 11:56 PM, CR Banana Man said:

If you wanna know where I stand on certain things, ask away, and I'll answer what I can.

Do you yourself regularly engage in glorious PvP not just in the Arena but also in the actual PvP maps?

From what i remember when i started on Zukunft was the massive Lack of people willing to do PvP there. Zukunft was a PvP Desert.

• 1 year later

Hi there CR, I was talking to someone about PvP today, they said that there are big problems with the enhancement system in PvP.

For example-  Procs are unresistable - wtf?!

There's a soft cap on control durations. Whilst I agree with this, it begs the question: what's the point in Controllers? That's a whole archetype that can't compete in PvP.

How are you supposed to gain new players with such expensive I-win buttons?

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

9 hours ago, Herotu said:

Hi there CR, I was talking to someone about PvP today, they said that there are big problems with the enhancement system in PvP.

For example-  Procs are unresistable - wtf?!

There's a soft cap on control durations. Whilst I agree with this, it begs the question: what's the point in Controllers? That's a whole archetype that can't compete in PvP.

How are you supposed to gain new players with such expensive I-win buttons?

There's a lot to what you have just posted, so I'll take a swing and see what I hit. 

Procs were never balanced for PvP. And they greatly contribute to the damage is king meta. That tends to create a meta that overlooks the Archetypes that don't directly drop fat numbers on heads. And that's just for starters - there's also the proc rate formula itself that tends to favor longer recharge single target attacks over AoEs, which itself narrows the meta further to Archetypes which have multi-effect single target powers (think Greater Psi Blade, Char, or Fossilize).

Controllers still have a role, it's just a bit different than in PvE. Crowd control is non-existent in PvP. There are short duration spikes which benefit from 2-4 second status effect durations to prevent players from mitigating incoming damage, but usually another Blaster on the spike with Bitter Ice Blast or Blaze will do the trick. That's not to say a single target hold isn't helpful in the right situation, just that crowd control doesn't exist because players are all over the map and AoE attacks are duds in PvP. Then again, that's from an 8v8 perspective - I haven't seen any Controller or Dominator only events, or really much of anything but Blasters, support, and disruption roles in organized arena matches. In PvP zone play, it's the wild west where pretty much anything can be good or bad depending on the situation. 

As for the steep floor to entry, that's a challenge that needs to be addressed in the game. In the mean time, the community can continue to run events and leagues to make the barrier to entry minimal or at the very least easier. 

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

procs are resisted on homecoming, they were unresisted pre-shutdown though.

controllers still see a lot of use, though mostly for the secondaries (maybe with the odd long hold or confuse thrown in, which is still quite effective with coordination)