Hi, I'm your new official PvP community rep. Ask me anything.

Pre-i13 PvP

PROS

-Powers work as designed

-Sorcery pool can help with those who need res/mez mitigation

-I could finally dust off Roz (Mind/Storm)

-Pre-i13 is an outstanding default from which to make changes

CONS

-Lot of work for the dev team.  I will help in any way possible if pre-i13 is the goal. 

• Like 1

formerly @JimmyVine (on Infinity & Victory)

currently @Cenozoic (on Reunion)

Cenozoic (Mind/Psionic Dominator) ... Los Infiernos (Fire/Devices Blaster) ... Slof (Stone/Spines Tanker) ... Zen's Furnace (Illusion/Dark Controller) ... Cryovolcano (Earth/Cold Controller)

hp, Admin from Homecoming PvP, “Thirdly, in regards to support players or more specifically Healers (Emps, Pains), if you've been playing in these kickballs it's pretty apparent there is a lack of them. I made a comment I believe on the first weekend about this but I guess I need to address it again. If a team only has one healer, you should not be targetting them, that goes for spikes and debuffing (poisons, colds, TA's, etc.) this isn't going to be enforced because obviously I can't control what you do at the end of the day but I would appreciate it if you all could comply with that. The reason being we all know how the damage is in the current state of the game to where healers are forced to use their big heal to give players some chance of surviving spikes that give them self heal suppression where they can't heal themselves. Also being harassed while being the solo healer isn't an enjoyable experience and the few healers we do get to show up to kickball are at the point where they'd rather play something else. So unless we just want to do damage vs damage teams in Kickball with no healers I would probably not target solo healers if at all possible.”

Times are tough, but you guys will make PvP great again!

Think i12 era. Don’t you remember all the fun?

You don't need it, but I like it. It basically gives you the fly and TP temps for free, and a useful buff for allies.

For pure healing, emp/water or emp/dark are your best bets, because you can slot more heal bonuses, and defenders get power boost now.

Ill/emp is still fine, though.

Cool, all noted.

I will probably just level the Controller first, then the Def after.

I didn't get an answer to this in help chat, but are we using all the crazy Incarnate stuff in Zones, but just Alpha in Arena?

Cool, all noted.

I will probably just level the Controller first, then the Def after.

I didn't get an answer to this in help chat, but are we using all the crazy Incarnate stuff in Zones, but just Alpha in Arena?

Yes, there's no real way to police people from using all of their Incarnates in zones (nor should there be).

So I have a question. Did recharge time get nerfed in pvp zones? We have multiple "pvp" sets that grants higher recharge time bonuses yet, my powers do not recharge as fast as they do outside of pvp despite having 22.5% more recharge reduction.

Quick backstory:

I've been building up my dominator to be as pvp focused as possible. Back in the day, I would rarely see them pvp but I knew a few people who managed to get perma domination from all the recharge bonuses from enhancement sets. It took a lot of work to get there, but it was worth it. So getting back into this I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I've been grinding away trying to achieve that goal and outside of the pvp zone, I can now hit dom again before it drops. I can do this for about 2 or 3 dominations before hasten and dom don't sync up together long enough that I lose the dom bar. Hasten is taking just a bit too long to come back, but I'm close.

So I know I'm already very close to perma dom and this doesn't even include my 3 sets that grant me an additional 22.5% recharge reduction. So I figure with that, my goal should be attainable once I'm in RV. So I go in, build up dom, pop hasten + dom and to my surprise, I'm farther from my goal than when I was out of the pvp zone.

My stats still show correctly. Outside pvp, it's roughly 56% recharge reduction. In pvp, It's close to 78%. So something doesn't add up. My cooldowns last longer in the zone than out, but my recharge reduction stats are much higher.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, I'm just at a loss here. I've just dedicated so much time to getting my old toon back again, but I feel as though some changes were made to make this impossible now.

Near the end of COH - I believe WARE ran an earth dom team that was sickening. You would have to ask vinnie but I think it was a combo of recharge and emp buffs. I also believe Peril would roll with a plant dom in PVP as well.  Ownage used to run a dom in PVP 2v2s as well I believe it was the psi power tree - he used TK. There was a guy in Sirens call, I forget his name but he came from Victory PVP he would quad box and exploit veng to get perma dom.

• Community Rep

So I have a question. Did recharge time get nerfed in pvp zones? We have multiple "pvp" sets that grants higher recharge time bonuses yet, my powers do not recharge as fast as they do outside of pvp despite having 22.5% more recharge reduction.

In issue 13, massive changes were made to the PvP system, including the addition of a system of diminishing returns that make recharge bonuses fall off pretty hard around 80 or so percent. Perma dom is, to my knowledge, no longer achievable - and if it were achievable, wouldn’t really matter much with the way dominator damage and the mez system work.

Near the end of COH - I believe WARE ran an earth dom team that was sickening.

I guess I can give some insider info on this. The earth/fire dom team we ran in ware was actually just a normal jump team. The doms were basically just earth/fire blasters, and the lineup had nothing to do with perma dom or them being dominators at all. Blaze -> fossilize was really clean burst damage, and much faster and deadlier in the right hands than the psi/em teams of the time.

For the OP, doms right now are basically burst damage machines, or used for set-up to get easier kills. We’re mostly seeing the latter one of those, because while they still do good burst damage, they are pretty squishy and don’t benefit much from the PPM system.

Hi. I'm banana man, but you guys probably know me as Fettuccine Alfred from the Pasta Mafia SG from the Zukunft server might know me as plantguy529, plantless, or Race Man Joe.

Last week, GM_Jimmy hit me up and asked if I'd be willing to be a representative for the PvP community. I originally pointed him in the direction of two other people, who I think would have been better for the position. For legitimate reasons, they didn't want to do it.

So, you're stuck with me. My condolences.

What does this mean?

I don't know yet. We have an unpaid dev team that's likely already up to their neck in work situating this infant server. I don't know how many resources, if any, they're willing to dedicate to PvP. What I do know is:

1. The old devs never reached out to us like this, so already this is looking better than the situation on live.

2. Whatever attention, resources, and time this unpaid dev team does decide to give PvP - no matter how great or how miniscule - I will be relentless in lobbying that those resources are used for the things we actually want, and the things that make this game better.

This also means I can host events with prizes. Like this one https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,2599.0.html. More of those to follow, both casual and maybe eventually more serious.

My first priority will be to change all PvP zones and arena maps into ski slope races will be to lobby for small, realistic changes that increase accessibility of PvP so people don't have to spent hours and hours grinding and manipulating the market just to make a viable PvP character, all while not affecting the PvE experience or game economy negatively. The more people we can get PvPing, the better. The more level the playing field, the better.

I don't want to get too much into theoretical system changes and tweaks yet, because I don't want to get anyone's hopes up - remember, we have an unpaid dev team, and we're a minority here. I do have things in mind, though, and I have all of you to help me. We are fortunate in having many very knowledgeable players from different eras of PvP playing right now, and their brains will be an invaluable resource going forward.

If you wanna know where I stand on certain things, ask away, and I'll answer what I can.

If being an old rep counts, I'm here too casually.  /wave

This is Laylyn, former NCSoft PVPEC rep as well for the Guardian server.  I can confirm we didn't have much input as Banana Man said above. 

On the positive we did get to kill Castle and several Devs in a pvp zone, so I did get to vent some frustration at Positron's "LOL PVP" remark.

Any chance another former rep, Thorizdin (LoTD), of the Freedom server stopped by yet?

/salute

Laylyn of HAUNT   

Post 2023 Enjin 500,000+ guild website Apolcalypse:  https://haunt2003.com/

Enjin can be fickle about forwarding to private web addresses

4duj6wP.jpg

hello I play a warshade and I had for 3 years b4 shutdown...its the only 50 I currently have and want...in high level pvp zones there are a lot of issues but the main 3...nebulous form does not work...a lot of different power sets can damage me...ice, assault rifle, the council...and others...plus all someone has to do when I am phase shifted is activate there own phase shift and attack and they will hit me, from what they say...when I get slowed and my powers are about half way recharged or better...sometimes just 1 slow affect will reverse my recharge times on ALL my powers as if I had just used them...my tank form cannot even hit through storm...90% accuracy in bonuses and 90%+ enhanced accuracy and I still can hit through simple powers like storm at 50th lvl. will these issues be getting looked at or fix soon? please and thank you.

• Community Rep

This is Laylyn, former NCSoft PVPEC rep as well for the Guardian server.  I can confirm we didn't have much input as Banana Man said above. 

Any chance another former rep, Thorizdin (LoTD), of the Freedom server stopped by yet?

Welcome back. I haven’t seen Thor since 2011. Stop by kickballs if you haven’t already.

Hi there, I'm not sure if this will fall on deaf ears or be taken seriously, but as someone who played pvp back when COV first was released and up until the shutdown it is easy to see a few ways pvp was killed.

- first and by far the most important is the barrier that keeps new players from joining pvp. To me this all begin when IO sets became a thing, there is way too much time and influence needed to invest to make a competitive pvp toon. These new players who are brand new to the game come into a pvp zone and get murdered before they can even see who is attacking them. PVP was way more active (In my opinion) when all we had access to was regular enhancements. Perhaps there can be a way to make it possible to have a regular enhancement only pvp zone, something that new people can go to and have a decent experience which could lead them to investing in a character that they can take to other zones with people who have IO sets.

-second to me the other killer of pvp is the lack of parity, a long time ago you could take any character into a zone and have a good time and be competitive. Now it seems you have to make sure that you select the perfect AT and perfect build before you get the character to 50. otherwise that is just wasted time which again keeps new people from joining.

Thank you to those actually read this, sorry for the run on sentences English was not my major.

• Like 1

• Community Rep

It definitely isn't falling on deaf ears, as these are the same issues we're all dealing with.

With regard to the access barrier, there's good news and bad news. The good news is, these GMs seem open to most ideas that make it easier to IO/accolade characters for PvP. For example, I talked to GM Jimmy, and he's not opposed to the idea of IOs that could be purchased from merit vendors for about the price of SOs, so long as they can't be sold on the market and only work in PvP. The bad news: that's a coding nightmare, and any ETA on even starting that project is basically indefinite until some more of the basic crap gets ironed out (website, support, server stability, infrastructure, etc). There is one accessibility change (accolade related) on the horizon, but I still can't give you dates as to when. 

In the meantime, Jimmy has encouraged the use of the test server for PvP events, when it's up. Once character copies from live are a thing, I think that's a pretty viable option, at least for tourneys and stuff. Also, I don't see a no-IO pvp zone happening, but there is a "no set bonuses" option in the arena.

hello, this is the failing warshade trying to pvp again...is knockback suppression supposed to be 75% or more? my dark dwarf from with IO procs has 120 points of KB protection in pve...but in RV it gets suppressed all the way down to 29 points...in human form I have 20 points of KB protection...is it supposed to go all the way down to 5.5? that's almost 75% suppression? im not internet smart so finding that pvp bug thread you was talking about in my nebulous form post was something I never found, every link for discord I try is expired or not working...so i'll add 1 here...caltrops affects me in neb form if cast before neb form is activated, and the description for nebulous form says I can re-phase after 30 seconds...when I keep it on...the hibernation sickness no-phase for 120 seconds happens in both pve and pvp...is that right? is there a list somewhere that's easy to find on what all suppression percentages are used against all the different powers and IO procs?  example...run speed is suppressed and jump height is suppressed but fly speed and jump speed are not suppressed...since knockback protection IO procs are getting suppressed does that mean all IO procs are suppressed...like my mez resistance procs? back on live it sometimes seemed that the warshade was last on the list to get fixed and I understand that actual AT bugs getting fixed could be a very long time because of infrastructure, sever stability fixes ect. so I have plenty of patience for any fixes, but it would be nice to know that purple IOing my toon will one day be worth it, speciely since trying to summon my pet in any pvp zone is just asking to get killed (needing to be engaged in npc fighting every 1-2 minutes) which makes me not want the pet, the dead guy heal (stygian circle) or the dead guy bomb (unchain essence) maybe one day can we get rid of the need for dead people and make the targets need live people? and make the pet...just able to be summoned without a target needed? make the recharge time on stygian circle more inline with what a peacebringers conserve energy is, if there is a balance issue. just a thought on that last sugjestions. thank you and have a great day.

• 1 month later

Hi. I'm banana man, but you guys probably know me as Fettuccine Alfred from the Pasta Mafia SG from the Zukunft server might know me as plantguy529, plantless, or Race Man Joe.

Last week, GM_Jimmy hit me up and asked if I'd be willing to be a representative for the PvP community. I originally pointed him in the direction of two other people, who I think would have been better for the position. For legitimate reasons, they didn't want to do it.

So, you're stuck with me. My condolences.

What does this mean?

I don't know yet. We have an unpaid dev team that's likely already up to their neck in work situating this infant server. I don't know how many resources, if any, they're willing to dedicate to PvP. What I do know is:

1. The old devs never reached out to us like this, so already this is looking better than the situation on live.

2. Whatever attention, resources, and time this unpaid dev team does decide to give PvP - no matter how great or how miniscule - I will be relentless in lobbying that those resources are used for the things we actually want, and the things that make this game better.

This also means I can host events with prizes. Like this one https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,2599.0.html. More of those to follow, both casual and maybe eventually more serious.

My first priority will be to change all PvP zones and arena maps into ski slope races will be to lobby for small, realistic changes that increase accessibility of PvP so people don't have to spent hours and hours grinding and manipulating the market just to make a viable PvP character, all while not affecting the PvE experience or game economy negatively. The more people we can get PvPing, the better. The more level the playing field, the better.

I don't want to get too much into theoretical system changes and tweaks yet, because I don't want to get anyone's hopes up - remember, we have an unpaid dev team, and we're a minority here. I do have things in mind, though, and I have all of you to help me. We are fortunate in having many very knowledgeable players from different eras of PvP playing right now, and their brains will be an invaluable resource going forward.

If you wanna know where I stand on certain things, ask away, and I'll answer what I can.

If being an old rep counts, I'm here too casually.  /wave

On the positive we did get to kill Castle and several Devs in a pvp zone, so I did get to vent some frustration at Positron's "LOL PVP" remark.

/salute

Woah, long time no see Laylyn!

UJL // Pirate Hookers // CrueL // A.S.S. // T.I.T.S. // dUmb // FAP // BoP // Laser City Jesus Eyes TPVPL // Renegades et al.

CoH Youtube

• 3 weeks later
On 5/23/2019 at 4:56 PM, CR Banana Man said:

to lobby for small, realistic changes that increase accessibility of PvP

If this is the goal then you have two things kind of working against each other because the problem came with a very big change, that being Issue 13.

If you want things to be accessible then they have to make sense. Part of the problem with PvP is that people have to basically re-learn the game, that is, "PvP Effects", "Diminishing Returns", "Templates" (AKA inherited resistances based on AT, etc). WoW PvP was successful (well, not anymore...) back in the day for this reason, your character was the same as it was in PvE as it was in PvP. That meant things made sense, people didn't have to re-learn the game they were already playing - much less their character, which is the real crime - and so things went moderately smoothly. 

The first two are really the killer because those are what make the game not make sense - and that's what'll really turn off someone new. They already spent time learning their character from 1-50, and just because they went into a new zone all of the sudden their toon interacts with things very differently. It'd be easy for people to be told, "Oh yeah, these AT's are too (X,Y,Z), so they need baseline buffs to compete." (inherited resistance), but that's not currently the case, and I'm not even sure you'd need inherited resistance with Incarnates/modern IO sets/etc.

Honestly with incarnates and new IO's, if the mechanics weren't completely different, you might very well have a fun game again.

Though the PPM stuff is real bad. Maybe make it so only one proc will function if multiples are slotted into the same power. Can't say I see many PvE people abusing the PPM, so I don't think the change would affect much.

TLDR: What Gibson99 already said. 

Edit: Kind of silly that the things that were good back pre-i13 (regen) were made better with the inherited resistances. Why does a regen get +res? Isn't sustained damage supposed to be the weakness?

Edited by Killawar

• 2 weeks later
On 8/17/2019 at 1:09 PM, Chirikiti said:

How 'bout some pre-issue 13 pvp?

At the very least there could be instances with the different mechanics. Warburg 1 as it is now. Warburg 2 pre-issue 13 pvp mechanics

I would fund this. 

On 8/17/2019 at 2:09 PM, Chirikiti said:

How 'bout some pre-issue 13 pvp?

At the very least there could be instances with the different mechanics. Warburg 1 as it is now. Warburg 2 pre-issue 13 pvp mechanics

On 8/20/2019 at 1:19 AM, Killawar said:

I would fund this. 

Second - I would gladly fund pre-i13 PvP mechanics.

formerly @JimmyVine (on Infinity & Victory)

currently @Cenozoic (on Reunion)

Cenozoic (Mind/Psionic Dominator) ... Los Infiernos (Fire/Devices Blaster) ... Slof (Stone/Spines Tanker) ... Zen's Furnace (Illusion/Dark Controller) ... Cryovolcano (Earth/Cold Controller)

On 8/26/2019 at 3:47 PM, Cenozoic said:

Second - I would gladly fund pre-i13 PvP mechanics.

It isn't a switch you flip and it is back to i12, it is more like a massive untangling of powers and systems.  On the private server it was quoted as if we try this, there is no going back.  It also came with the notion that it would require a massive overhaul / balance pass with all the sets proliferated, all the game mechanics added since i12, all the new IO's floating around out there, all the free +res bonuses on sets, and a very long list of things.  So you'd have the workload of actually getting things back to i12, and from there you start from scratch re balancing a massive amount of things. 

The reality is, the PvP community is incredibly small compared to the PvE playerbase and the amount of time and effort it'd take from a volunteer dev team would far outweigh anything you'd end up getting out of it. 

That and parts of i12 were just plain awful and would be even more so with everything that has been proliferated today.