Granite Armor Buff

I was thinking about ways to make Granite Armor more worth the cost, since the overall consensus is that IO sets have made the power obsolete, and came up with a minor Power Boost effect and/or a PBAoE fear+taunt effect. I feel like the alternative would be to remove/reduce penalties in the set, which is the wrong move.

Edited by Yellowjacket

I think Granite Armor should be able to leap as high as lvl 1 character with no slots, and who doesn't even have Hurdle yet.

No super jump.  no ninja run leaps.  no combat jumping + hurdle extra jump height.

But I think the monolith should be able to vault up a minor height differential. 

Otherwise you have this: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

I think Granite Armor should be able to leap as high as lvl 1 character with no slots, and who doesn't even have Hurdle yet.

No super jump.  no ninja run leaps.  no combat jumping + hurdle extra jump height.

I think this could work. Powers have the ability to affect movement caps (Afterburner with the flight speed cap, and Takeoff with the jump speed cap) so if Granite reduced the jump speed and height caps instead of disabling jumping it would get a lot more usable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

But I think the monolith should be able to vault up a minor height differential. 

Otherwise you have this: 

8 minutes ago, Vanden said:

I think this could work. Powers have the ability to affect movement caps (Afterburner with the flight speed cap, and Takeoff with the jump speed cap) so if Granite reduced the jump speed and height caps instead of disabling jumping it would get a lot more usable.

Agreed. It's simple and elegant. Instead of a -10000% jump height (or whatever it is), set jump height cap to 4 feet. It's a nice quality of life change that doesn't take away the intent of the Granite Armor debuffs.

As for my obligatory suggestion that I always throw out there: we should also remove the movement penalties on Rooted. There shouldn't be a movement penalty on both powers that offer mezz protection. Instead, we should give Rooted the Grounded treatment. You have to be on the ground to retain the buff effects, but you are free to go at super speeds and jump freely (at your own risk).

Edited by Bopper
  • Like 3

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Right off the top of my head I would suggest removing the movement penalties and adding a damage reflect mechanic to Granite Armor since it's mitigation isn't that special anymore and the movement penalties are draconian and kinda stupid in light of what this game is in 2020. On the other hand, it should hurt to punch a slab of rock (or bullets ricochet back, what have you).

I'm not saying this would solve any of Granite's issues but it seems like simply throwing it a bone of letting it jump over chipmunks is far from making it a decent set compared to many others with all their whizz bang IO builds. 

New game! The first person to say "well ahcsually the gaem is balanced around SOs" gets a slap! 

26 minutes ago, Neogumbercules said:

Right off the top of my head I would suggest removing the movement penalties and adding a damage reflect mechanic to Granite Armor since it's mitigation isn't that special anymore and the movement penalties are draconian and kinda stupid in light of what this game is in 2020. On the other hand, it should hurt to punch a slab of rock (or bullets ricochet back, what have you).

If a Damage Reflection mechanic is ever implemented, I'd want it to recognize damage types.

• Punching a big slab of stone should probably hurt.
  • Swinging a katana into a big slab of stone would at least jar the hell out of your arms, even if the blade was indestructable
  • Bullets could richochet
  • but spraying a flamethrower at it?  wasteful, but not going to hurt you.
  • throwing globs of negative energy at it?  again, seems harmless.  (now a punch attack with smash AND dark, maybe the smash portion could be reflected....)
  • THINKING at it with a Psi attack?  again, hard to see how this would be reflected in anyway.

Yeah thematically it's not a perfect solution but as a game mechanic it's a fairly common thing. I dunno, literally a top of the head thing.

Here's another one. Give granite an effect on collision with baddies. Deal some damage and small mag Knockback. Minor damage and knockdown at base movement speed, with increasing damage and knockback the faster you go. So let's say you're speed boosted for max run speed, slotted swift, etc, you just ping pong around the map blasting fools and sending them flying. 

I don't know how useful that would be but it would instantly be the best powerset ever. 

• Like 1

How about giving granite the minimal FX option that some other armors and powers have?

Same durability, same penalites but now you can wear costume and cape and aura instead of being a lumpy rock pile

25 alts with all the badges!