Laser Beam Eyes epic - +Dmg, +Recharge

AxerJ

Laser Beam Eyes is just such an epic power. But it requires a power investment in the pool before we can choose it, AND it does lower damage than the corresponding patron tier 1 ranged attacks.

I understand perhaps villain powers make sense as more damaging, but for a tier 2 epic, and for a power simply as epic and iconic as laser beam eyes, itd be so great to have the power feel stronger.

It's at a 6-second recharge now, and that could be increased to balance with the increased dmg.

Thank you! And amazing work keeping all of this running, I'm very grateful!

• Like 3

Yes, but the patron attacks don't shoot from your eyes (though one *does* let you puke on people...). Gotta pay for being cool somehow!

😉

I'll let the numbers folks argue this one. Y'know, I don't think I've ever taken that, come to think of it...

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

The patron pools were designed to be "stronger" pools than the hero epic pools from the beginning, so no surprise LBE is weaker than a t1 blast in a patron pool. What is weird is that Laser Beam Eyes in Body Mastery is stronger than Laser Beam Eyes in Energy Mastery, whereas with patron pools it's the Scrappers and Stalkers with the weaker, faster-recharging ranged attacks. Really shows you how scattershot the design in APPs is.

To add on to this Laser Beam Eyes in any adaptation when you see a super flash those red eyes it's the "Oh shiz get outta the way" power.  It should do so much damage that you get to see targets actually get cut in half.  On top of that I'd also like it to have the dual function that it can act as a heal where you can target teammates and cauterize their wounds.  Just for fun.  

No, it should either melt holes in enemies or incinerate them into ash. It should also be able to shoot tunnel holes into cave walls to create shortcuts.

Though turning your energy into a "heal ray" on your teammates could be cool! 

Edited by AxerJ

Rule of Cool, is Cool, but there's this pesky horrible thing called Game Balance. 

Now in a single player game, sure, go wild, mod your game out the wazoo, be as wacky crazy overpowered as you feel like.  Dual Pistols that launch mini-nuke bullets? Sure!

In a multiplayer game, Rule of Cool does not in fact override all other concerns and balance issues.

Edited by MTeague

Im coming from a Brute's perspective, and we dont get snipes as far as I know. Maybe the Body Mastery version could be converted into a snipe if it made sense, but the Energy Mastery version could just be buffed to Mu Lightning levels and that'd be nice. 

I get the villain powers were originally conceived of as stronger, but I think a damage boost for LBE is reasonable since archetypes are unrestricted now, and since LBE is such an iconic attack.

Thanks!

A lot of the "Epic" powers seem to have less inspiring effects than low to mid tier regular powers.  That really ought to be addressed.  Honestly, for all the desire for new content, I really feel like the priority ought to be balancing issues and quality of life fixes for various quirks and bugs that the existing system already has.  I'm sure it's a lot more boring than making new stuff, but it would make for an overall better game, IMO.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grindingsucks said:

A lot of the "Epic" powers seem to have less inspiring effects than low to mid tier regular powers.  That really ought to be addressed.  Honestly, for all the desire for new content, I really feel like the priority ought to be balancing issues and quality of life fixes for various quirks and bugs that the existing system already has.  I'm sure it's a lot more boring than making new stuff, but it would make for an overall better game, IMO.

That’s consistent with the most basic design principles of the game. Primary > Secondary > Pools. So no, nothing to revisit in that regard.

4 minutes ago, Grindingsucks said:

If it's by design, it's counter-intuitive.  At the very least, don't call them "Epic" powers, if there's nothing "Epic" about them.  Perhaps "Extra" powers is a better descriptor.

Fair critique of the word epic, but yes it is absolutely by design. 

Another way to think about it is declining multipliers from left to right on your powers/enhancements menu.

All that aside, I do agree that Laser Eyes is a cool/Iconic power and I often take it if it fits the theme of my toon.  I tend to slot it with procs that do things like immobilize or inflict defense debuff and such.  I can usually get them to fire off fairly reliably.  Make's it a bit more fun to use.

I do agree it feels quite under-powered for what it does at baseline, though.

1 hour ago, Grindingsucks said:

If it's by design, it's counter-intuitive.  At the very least, don't call them "Epic" powers, if there's nothing "Epic" about them.  Perhaps "Extra" powers is a better descriptor.

They’re “Epic” because they let you get powers your archetype doesn’t usually get (ranged attacks on melee ATs, armors on squishies, etc.), not because they’re powerful.