Gaussian's Chance for Build Up

AerynCaduceus

The problem with slotting the proc in TD is it'll proc randomly and there's no guarantee it'll go off when you're actually in combat. Probably better to slot it into Aim if you have a primary with Aim, otherwise Tactics is likely a better option (especially if you team often).

• Like 3

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

True enough. I don't know that I would even bother with it slotted in TD if I did not have aim, buildup, or tactics as a more optimal choice.

Tactics is unique in that is has a proc chance for everyone on your team currently affected by the power, so you get loads of uptime on teams.

TD will give you a pretty low chance checking once every ten seconds.

• Like 1

With up two recharge it stays around 90 percent chance to go off in aim. Others have mathed it out elsewhere.

I usually leave it at native slot with the proc and build heavy global recharge. Many people dedicate one or two slots for recharge. Just depends on how tight your build is.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

9 hours ago, Onlyasandwich said:

With up two recharge it stays around 90 percent chance to go off in aim. Others have mathed it out elsewhere.

I usually leave it at native slot with the proc and build heavy global recharge. Many people dedicate one or two slots for recharge. Just depends on how tight your build is.

Ok, you lost me on that one. How does recharge change the percentage rate Gaussian’s Chance for Build Up goes off when slotted in Aim?

(Looking at Mids Reborn, it looks like it should go off 16.7% of the time without any recharge.)

Edited by Mack008

Under current proc per minute (PPM) rules, proc chance is affected by the power's radius, recharge time, and cast time.

In general terms, the higher the recharge and fewer targets, the better chance of a proc.  In Aim specifically, you can increase native (as in slotted in the power) recharge by up to 75 percent before negatively affecting the proc chances.  If you are 75% or under you will have the max 90% chance for the buildup proc when you use Aim. This is because Aim is a relatively longish recharge power natively. 

Global recharge does not hurt your proc chances though, so you can have a heavy recharge build from set bonuses and have a very fast recharging Aim that procs buildup very reliably.

For a broader and more detailed explanation, refer to Bopper's guide below.  

Note that the Homecoming devs are examining these rules, and they will likely change at some point, though their iteration is more oriented towards intuitiveness than nerfing. From your surprise at the percentages, I can agree that it is not exactly intuitive!

As an aside, the percentages shown on mouseover for proc IOs in Mids don't take this into account - don't count on them for your odds.  If you slot a damage proc in Mids, however, it does accurately estimate the overall average damage contribution per activation correctly in most cases.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Thanks 1

So after some learnin'...

If it is slotted in Tactics, then each person affected would have a 6.5% chance every 10 seconds? 

On a full team of 8, that means that every 10 seconds there's a 52% of at least one person getting Build Up.  Now I'm thinking about all the pets from a Mastermind...

• Like 1

As others have been saying it's typically better to have it in Aim or BU because you have control that this proc will fire almost for certain every time you click that boost.  I like to slot that whole set of Gaussian's for all those juicy bonuses but it's somewhat not optimal to do that in Aim or BU.  Typically I like slotting that whole set into tactics as it has been suggested as a good alternative spot for that proc.  

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 2

Yes, the guassian proc is great in tactics, and is perfect for masterminds, or other ats that don't have access to buildup or aim. Honestly I sometimes even skip aim on my defenders in favor of procced tactics, especially on builds where I'm soloing much less 

As Mezmera said, it is generally better to keep it in buildup or aim on a blaster so you can time it with your nuke or another important burst cycle, as well as get consistent use solo.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

12 hours ago, Mack008 said:

So after some learnin'...

If it is slotted in Tactics, then each person affected would have a 6.5% chance every 10 seconds? 

On a full team of 8, that means that every 10 seconds there's a 52% of at least one person getting Build Up.  Now I'm thinking about all the pets from a Mastermind...

With it slotted in Tactics, it's a chance per person that it procs on yourself only. For example, with 7 teammates, you have 8 separate chances of it proccing every 10 seconds which is a 41.58% chance of it activating at least once every 10 seconds, and yes it can proc multiple times. Compare that to the the 90% chance of it proccing in Aim and always when you want it.

Which for MMs since you're thinking about it, isn't worth it as you do the least damage of anyone with your personal attacks. It's better off in something like Thugs' Enforcers which even though their tactics seems to only affect henchmen, with 6 henchmen it's at least a 35% chance every 10 seconds to boost their much-greater-than-yours damage.

Edited by Hopestar
clarified for MMs

3 hours ago, Hopestar said:

With it slotted in Tactics, it's a chance per person that it procs on yourself only. For example, with 7 teammates, you have 8 separate chances of it proccing every 10 seconds which is a 41.58% chance of it activating at least once every 10 seconds, and yes it can proc multiple times. Compare that to the the 90% chance of it proccing in Aim and always when you want it.

Which for MMs since you're thinking about it, isn't worth it as you do the least damage of anyone with your personal attacks. It's better off in something like Thugs' Enforcers which even though their tactics seems to only affect henchmen, with 6 henchmen it's at least a 35% chance every 10 seconds to boost their much-greater-than-yours damage.

Crabberminds in a full team with 6-8 pets...

I've had streaks where it triggered for 5 seconds every 10 second window for minutes straight.  

There are essentially two schools of thought for Gaussian's %Build Up.

1) Slot it in a Leadership-type aura power because everything that can benefit from the aura can contribute to the chance of the %Build Up firing.

2) Slot it in an Aim/Build Up type power, because that gives the user precise control over when it will fire.

Note that the chance of any %proc firing will be clamped at a maximum of 90%, and that the Build Up is only for the character with the %proc slotted.

Crabberminds are IMO the best way to use (1) because

• They can, with enough recharge, have a full suite of pets with them to potentially trigger the %Build Up from tactics (as @Omega-202writes)
  • The base damage scale for Arachnos Soldiers isn't gimped (like it is for Masterminds)
  • Crabberminds have a secondary power that works this way, without dipping into a power pool.

Other AT's can set themselves up to benefit from the aura-effect, but they will need teammates/pets and a decent damage scale to see a reliable benefit from the %proc in an aura. If the AT doesn't have a Build Up, or wants to set-and-forget, then an Aura with the %Build Up will work fine for the character.

For most other characters with an Aim/Build Up power (see also other powers like Chronos), path (2) will yield better (and more consistent) results. My specific experience with Blasters has been that with sufficient recharge (Hasten doesn't have to enter the picture) that the power can be triggered VERY frequently with the 90% chance to %proc. If Snipes (fast or slow) are part of an attack chain, you will benefit from having +ToHit from any source.

I have a /Time blaster where Chronos is ready to be triggered every 20-ish seconds or so. This gives 10 seconds of the inherent Chronos boost, where the first 5 seconds will include the %Build Up boost from the proc. That character has Chronos on auto, because for most content I'm constantly spamming attacks.  Chronos is also up more frequently than any other such non-attack power. I certainly could calibrate my attack chain to get even more performance by specifically triggering Chronos, but that isn't the way I roll.

The recharge time for equivalent powers for lvl 50 Scrappers and Stalkers (which include some Global +Recharge from IOs) is roughly the same, although for those ATs I don't typically have the Build Up-type power on Auto.

As @Mezmeranoted, the set bonuses for Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control are pretty good... especially if chasing after positional defenses with 6-pieces. None of the set bonuses that come along the way will make-or-break a build, but each has something that most builds can appreciate. I wouldn't fault anyone for single-slotting (the proc) but most powers can benefit from at least one other slot invested in whatever  power: either a boosted IO or HO.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hopestar said:

For example, with 7 teammates, you have 8 separate chances of it proccing every 10 seconds which is a 41.58% chance of it activating at least once every 10 seconds, and yes it can proc multiple times.

Can anyone verify this? I have the proc in Overgrowth on a Nature Affinity character, and I've used it on entire leagues and not seen multiple procs at once.

Thanks for all the info, especially the distinction that when slotted in Tactics team members don't get the effect, only the power's owner.

I agree that it wouldn't make sense for a Mastermind... but I could see a Blaster/Scrapper taking Tactics and slotting this proc.

Edited by Mack008

On 10/15/2020 at 9:53 AM, Omega-202 said:

Crabberminds in a full team with 6-8 pets...

I've had streaks where it triggered for 5 seconds every 10 second window for minutes straight.  

This 'picture' is making me think back on a team a Corruptor of mine was on.  6 Masterminds with 6 pets apiece.  I won't even try to figure out those odds, but 43 chances to proc should see one long streak of proc goodness.