New Enhancement: Un-Stealth IO

Zeraphia

So, there are certain powers that provide a stealth, but you may not necessarily want that stealth (Steamy Mist, Cloak of Darkness, Artic Fog, Shadow Fall) but want the gameplay bonuses it provides in terms of defense/resistance. Now personally, I'd love to just toggle the hide effects on/off for group play and when I'd need it, but I think a great solution that provides a reasonable "cost" to deny these powers would be to create sort of like a KB->KD type of IO that reduces the stealth bonuses to 0 and dissipates the "hollow-y" effects on your character designs so you can see it properly whilst retaining the bonuses of the power. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, UpandAtom said:

I'm surprised Null the Gull didn't have a sort of option to 'Ignore Stealth/force default Perception radius' come to think of it. some ATs would never touch it but some probably would gladly perma-disable stealth boosts on themselves.

I agree...at least visually anyway. Maybe a Null the Gull option to do away with the visual of Stealth. I have some characters who loves the visuals and some who do not. I think that would be a great option. Let you stay in Stealth where NPC's and Players cannot see you, but be rid of the visual for yourself and team mates...perhaps.

I don't know that I'd want this as an IO. Seems more like a power customization item. Or as mentioned, Null.

Though there has to be some sort of indicator, just for those "why is the hostage not following me? Oh, that guy on the team has stealth" moments where you want that obvious.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

I don't know that I'd want this as an IO. Seems more like a power customization item. Or as mentioned, Null.

Though there has to be some sort of indicator, just for those "why is the hostage not following me? Oh, that guy on the team has stealth" moments where you want that obvious.

That will for sure happen quite often if Null grants this as an option, lol. I can easily see that happening MANY times, haha.

You realize, you keep the defense/resist aspect of the power, when you attack, right?

So attack something and you're no longer in stealth.

Sounds like this is more of a "I can't handle detoggling a power during a hostage mission" when all you have to do, is detoggle and toggle back up when you see an ambush coming, if having that defense/resist is needed that much.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BrandX said:

Sounds like this is more of a "I can't handle detoggling a power during a hostage mission" when all you have to do, is detoggle and toggle back up when you see an ambush coming, if having that defense/resist is needed that much.

Nope, it was explained in the OP:

15 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

and dissipates the "hollow-y" effects on your character designs so you can see it properly whilst retaining the bonuses of the power. 

Some people hate not being able to see their character.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

31 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Then it just comes to, turn on and off the power when needed.

I can't remember if the invis look stayed when one attacked.  Guess I just got used to it, as I have that on a lot of my characters.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

I'm not disagreeing with the premise of the suggestion, but at the same time I'm rather in the camp that what you look like during combat is supposed to be en flux and you're not meant to have carte blanche control over that. Like if a foe hits you with a resistance debuff, you'll have an OOC floating orange shield with a downward animating arrow circling your character.  Or if a player has a FF shield buff and apply it to you, their colored buff will appear around your character. These effects exist to que players of the various effects they currently have. 

That all being said, if a new option to disable effects is desired wouldn't affect me and I could see the positives of having said options. 

3 hours ago, BrandX said:

Then it just comes to, turn on and off the power when needed.

It's not a question of "when not needed." This goes right along with wanting FX-less armors and such. Some people just don't want their character hidden, whether it's under armors, buff effects or - in this case - stealth. Yes, even in combat.

Mind you, I'm not arguing for it for myself. I prefer to have the effect there so I *know it's there.* But it fits right in with requests for other powers to not have effects that obscure peoples characters.

On 10/10/2020 at 9:47 PM, BrandX said:

You realize, you keep the defense/resist aspect of the power, when you attack, right?

You keep a portion of the defence. In regard to stealth powers. That is not the same as keeping all of it.

On 10/10/2020 at 9:47 PM, BrandX said:

Cause having to turn a power (that is providing benefits of any kind) OFF, simply because hostages seem to be all set up differently, is bloody annoying.

If you have to ask why it is annoying, look back to Issue Whatever Invul, where the mez toggle rooted you. May as well say people should just have put up with that and taken teleport instead.

Edited by Razor Cure
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Darkneblade said:

knockback to knockdown io at least makes knockdown. what does unstealth io have in exchange? taunt? nothing? or placate aura? (in toggles)

Why does it have to do anything other than not be stealthy? (set stealth radius = 0.)

For a moment I thought that "un-stealth" would mean your character would be more noticeable, like having a bright red outline around them.

On a personal level, while I think it is annoying for hostages etc. to constantly get lost because of something like Steamy Mist, it is an easy fix (de-toggle the power). If someone is being a dick by not de-toggling it then you know that's not someone to team with in the future. I've said it before, but if all hostages/allies behaved like some of the newer NPCs did and never lost Line of Sight, that could be a potential fix.

But, until then, if people want a way to suppress the stealth element of their power (semi) permanently, then all the more power to them.

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.