Slotting Afterburner and Fly

Vanden

If I'm reading the bottom right, you just slot 3 fly enhancements into afterburner and you'll get the max benefit, fly never goes beyond the hard cap. Which is wild to me.

It looks to me like that says you need 3 SOs in Afterburner and 2 SOs in Fly to get the most flight speed.

• 4 weeks later

3 slotting Afterburner gets the cap to 86.5. 2 slotting Fly gets you to 82.61 (including Swift), so you’re not reaching the cap. 3 slotting Fly gets you to 88.13, so you’re over a bit.

Personally, my take-away is that the most practical thing to do is 2 slot both, which get the cap to 82.5, and your speed to 82.61, so just barely over. You lose about 4 mph on your speed, but gain 2 slots to use elsewhere.

Edit - In another post somebody said they tried it on the test server, and the result was 3 slotting Afterburner and 2 slotting Fly got you to the cap, but the values indicated were different from what is indicated in the wiki, so unless the code is wrong I’m not sure why.

Sort of related, but a tangent (seemed better than making a new topic, anyway): for the Sorcery version of Flight, I know only the Flight part, and not the Teleport part actually gets slots, but do Enhancements to the Fly power get "passed" to the Teleport?  Like does an Endurance enhancement only reduce the toggle's per second cost or does it make the Teleporting cheaper, too?  I suspect it's the former, but have a faint amount of hope it's the latter.

Is it worth it to slot Swift?

For Run, yes.

For Fly, no.

If you slot Fly speed in Swift, it also increases your Hover speed, which is useful in combat.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Is it worth it to slot Swift?

For Run, yes.

For Fly, no.

If you slot Fly speed in Swift, it also increases your Hover speed, which is useful in combat.

But wouldn’t it be better to just put the enhancement into Hover?  No, it doesn’t end up benefiting both, but the increase from Swift is so minute - 3 slotting it goes from 2.93 to 5.71. I don’t know what Hover’s base value is, but assume that increasing it by 33% is much greater than increasing 2.93 by 33%.

As to slotting Fly and Afterburner, I think I see the point of people who say it’s not worth adding any additional slots to either. At 50 using SO’s in just the 1 slot that comes with the powers, the Afterburner cap is 77.7, and Fly + Swift is about 76 - about a 30% increase over the base cap. 2 slotting gets you an additional 8% increase, and 3 slotting an addition 4%. So unlike just about any other power, there are great diminishing returns after just 1 slot.

• 1 month later

So I have 2 separate characters at 50 with Afterburner and Fly now, and I can post some results I've seen. Both have 2 50+5 Fly IOs in Afterburner, which puts the flight speed cap at 86.68 mph. One has a 50+3* Fly IO in Fly, that and 2 Moderate Improved Movement set bonuses (the 6% one) puts her at the 86.68 mph cap I mentioned. The other has a 50+5 Fly IO in Fly, and that puts him at 86.23 mph flight speed. Swift is not slotted for flight speed on either. So I'd say that two 50+5 Fly IOs in Afterburner and a 50+5 Fly IO in Fly is a pretty efficient and effective slotting.

*The 50+3 isn't some special number I calculated to hit the flight speed cap, it's just how many enhancement boosters I'd put on that IO before I thought to check if I was already flight speed-capped, and I was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 10:28 AM, dtj714 said:

But wouldn’t it be better to just put the enhancement into Hover?

When you figure out how to move Swift's default slot to Hover, let me know. 😉

Afterburner+Fly caps out at 87.95mph with no slotting, if you use Jump Pack. 30 seconds is usually enough time to get to the next door. This helps me feel better about rarely being able to spare slots for travel powers.

• 2 weeks later
On 7/29/2019 at 3:44 PM, Hopeling said:

When you figure out how to move Swift's default slot to Hover, let me know. 😉

Afterburner+Fly caps out at 87.95mph with no slotting, if you use Jump Pack. 30 seconds is usually enough time to get to the next door. This helps me feel better about rarely being able to spare slots for travel powers.

I tried using the Jump Pack with the slotting I mentioned above, and I also got the 87.95mph flight cap. I also turned on Afterburner in the first mission of Mender Ramiel's arc, while under the effects of Limitless Radial Freeeem, and the cap was again 87.95mph. Turning on the Jump Pack as well had no effect at that point. So it looks like 87.95mph is the absolute cap for flight speed, and the slotting in my earlier post gets you a mere 1.72mph short of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vanden said:

I tried using the Jump Pack with the slotting I mentioned above, and I also got the 87.95mph flight cap. I also turned on Afterburner in the first mission of Mender Ramiel's arc, while under the effects of Limitless Radial Freeeem, and the cap was again 87.95mph. Turning on the Jump Pack as well had no effect at that point. So it looks like 87.95mph is the absolute cap for flight speed, and the slotting in my earlier post gets you a mere 1.72mph short of it.

87.95 huh?  I'm guessing that could easily have been just a rounded off 88mph, but that number harkens to other known properties, so I guess they wanted to avoid that. 😉

What was no more, is REBORN!

I've always wondered but never asked anyone: does Afterburner have any real usefulness beyond "wowee, lookit me go!"?  I mean, I'm always happy to just hit R and let the city unspool beneath me at the relative snail's pace, but am I missing something else?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I've always wondered but never asked anyone: does Afterburner have any real usefulness beyond "wowee, lookit me go!"?  I mean, I'm always happy to just hit R and let the city unspool beneath me at the relative snail's pace, but am I missing something else?

You get a huge defense bonus so you're safer when flying low. Also you have far better control to help you manuver at higher speeds. Not a big benefit. I just love it for the speed.

• Like 1

I use Fly as a travel power on the majority of my characters, except the ones that use the large, or huge body models.  To me, those guys look ridiculous flying, so for them, I use Super Jump.  When Afterburner came out, and I was finally able to make Fly a power that didn't suffer a speed deficit, as a trade-off for the relative safety it provided, I was ALL in!  Suddenly, I wasn't always the last one to show up at doors, when the team had to traverse across the entire length of Independence Port, and I could still enjoy the view along the way.  To me, it was the perfect add to the set, and given the information here, to know that you don't have to "three-slot" it to get more than acceptable speed, makes it even better!  The only accommodation I had to make, was setting up a keyboard macro, that would turn on both Fly, and Afterburner, then shut them both off when I arrived.  Otherwise, Fly would turn off, leaving AB on, and making me unable to do anything else.  A few times (when it was new), I went into missions thinking the game was glitched, because my attacks weren't firing, and I couldn't do anything, only to find AB still running, and the "Only affecting Self" message in the corner of the screen. 😚

Edited by Abraxus

7 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

The defense bonus is useful when you want to hit a clicky under fire. It's also a place to slot an LotG.

Otherwise nah, it's mostly just speed. Not a great pick in terms of combat usefulness.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

I use Fly as a travel power on the majority of my characters, except the ones that use the large, or huge body models.  To me, those guys look ridiculous flying, so for them, I use Super Jump.  When Afterburner came out, and I was finally able to make Fly a power that didn't suffer a speed deficit, as a trade-off for the relative safety it provided, I was ALL in!  Suddenly, I wasn't always the last one to show up at doors, when the team had to traverse across the entire length of Independence Port, and I could still enjoy the view along the way.  To me, it was the perfect add to the set, and given the information here, to know that you don't have to "three-slot" it to get more than acceptable speed, makes it even better!  The only accommodation I had to make, was setting up a keyboard macro, that would turn on both Fly, and Afterburner, then shut them both off when I arrived.  Otherwise, Fly would turn off, leaving AB on, and making me unable to do anything else.  A few times (when it was new), I went into missions thinking the game was glitched, because my attacks weren't firing, and I couldn't do anything, only to find AB still running, and the "Only affecting Self" message in the corner of the screen. 😚

*cries at Super Speed*

7 minutes ago, EggKookoo said:

*cries at Super Speed*

Over the years of the original run, I had a few characters with SS.  In a lot of zones, it was fine.  But, for those with vertical terrain challenges (Faultline for instance), I found I had to augment it with something that would give me the ability to compensate.  Jump pack, or additional travel power like Hover, or Teleport.  I did those things, but finally just settled on either Fly, or Super Jump for the most part, so I wouldn't have to resort to those kinds of measures.  When I've got something that intensely thematic, and that travel power works for it though, then so be it.  Otherwise, I'm guilty of taking the easy path to get from A to B. 😉

17 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Defense bonus is great for traversing zones without fear of being hit by stray bullets (missiles, boulders, beams, strategically lobbed chickens). It is also great for getting outta dodge in a hurry. Example: in RWZ, I got blindsided by the spaceship and fell down next to a pillar and a spawn of L54 slugheads. I popped Renewal of Light, then Fly and AB and got away, avoiding fire. If I didn't have AB, I probably would have gotten shot down.