Power customization: Fly pose

drdread

• City Council

It's something I looked at a while back and even had a proof of concept demo (sorta, keep reading), but isn't really feasible without some serious animation work.

The main problem is that there are not existing animations for transitioning from the flying ready state directly to the fly poses, only from the "flying forward" pose to them. So when moving forward it has to make your character go into the standard fly pose and then immediately shift to the chosen one. That gets really clunky and bad looking once you start moving around and changing directions a lot.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Number Six said:

It's something I looked at a while back and even had a proof of concept demo (sorta, keep reading), but isn't really feasible without some serious animation work.

The main problem is that there are not existing animations for transitioning from the flying ready state directly to the fly poses, only from the "flying forward" pose to them. So when moving forward it has to make your character go into the standard fly pose and then immediately shift to the chosen one. That gets really clunky and bad looking once you start moving around and changing directions a lot.

Sad news, but thank you for it being something you looked at and for sharing. ❤️

7 hours ago, Number Six said:

You uh... Sure this didn't leak into a live build?

I have one character (energy/dev blaster) who keeps randomly flyposing while flying, and I can't figure out how to repro reliably.

4 hours ago, Replacement said:

I have one character (energy/dev blaster) who keeps randomly flyposing while flying, and I can't figure out how to repro reliably.

First I've ever heard of this. There's no chance you've put in a bind on w that tries to flypose is there?

18 hours ago, Number Six said:

Thanks for looking into that. That explains why the fly pose options weren't put in before sundown.

• City Council
16 hours ago, Replacement said:

Positive. It was only on a single developer's machine and was never committed or sent to a test server, since the double animation made it look very glitchy.

On 10/26/2020 at 3:14 PM, Number Six said:

moving forward it has to make your character go into the standard fly pose and then immediately shift to the chosen one. That gets really clunky and bad looking once you start moving around and changing directions a lot.

Instead of immediately switching to the custom pose, maybe put a 5 to 10 second delay before switching pose? Is that possible? 

Edited by drdread

On 10/31/2020 at 5:59 PM, Hero_of_Light said:

I thought there was a / command for different fly poses?

There are several different emotes. The problem is the emotes are clunky to bind or macro. You can't make a macro or bind to turn on fly and pose at the same time, you have to make them separately. Looking for a way to improve this feature.

On 10/26/2020 at 2:14 PM, Number Six said:

Now if we could jest get the Stances added as fly poses in the meantime...

<.<

>.>

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

13 hours ago, drdread said:

There are several different emotes. The problem is the emotes are clunky to bind or macro. You can't make a macro or bind to turn on fly and pose at the same time, you have to make them separately. Looking for a way to improve this feature.

Ahhh, ok. I may be thinking of something completely different, but are there emote timers? Like bind a button to be fly, and then a second later pose change? 

(For devs) Also, if the emote is already there, why not use that animation? And instead of it being an animation change to the existing fly, copy/paste fly to the fly power pool as a 'new' fly power and have it use that animation instead?

(Edit) Ah I see, has to go the one pose, then the other since the emotes weren't made to be an initial animation so it looks funny. Gotcha

(Edit 2) What about the animations for the other flights? Could those more easily flow into it?

(Edit 3) Just spitting ideas. What about having a color customized sonic boom flash, light, dust cloud, ect... obscure the character momentarily so the glitchy animation change isn't percived?

Edited by Hero_of_Light