Powerset Essentials

BasherBot

With the introduction of Issue 27 on beta, I've had the change to see what the devs are willing to do for balance of Powersets... and I must say I am surprised by the amount of new powers and reworks they've added. One of the main things that caught me attention was the addition of a cone attack for Energy Melee. This made me think: What would be considered the must haves for a standard powerset to be successful? What would be considered essential? I know that every powerset has their own gimmicks and niches that make each of them unique... but even then there are a set of ability that was standard among most powersets of same category. So, let's get talking. What would you consider essential for a powerset? What do you think isn't? Are their certain powersets you wish had something they lacked? Is there a power that you feel should be changed or replaced for a powerset?

here's a list of each powerset type for reference/reminder:

Ranged Damage (Blasters/Defenders/Corrupters/Sentinels)

Melee Damage (Scrappers/Tankers/Brutes/Stalkers)

Control (Controllers/Dominators)

Support (Defenders/Corrupters/Masterminds/Controllers)

Tank (Scrappers/Tankers/Brutes/Stalkers/Sentinels)

Pets (Masterminds)

Assault (Dominators)

Blast (Blasters)

• Like 1

Range damage sets, I usually expect two standard single target attacks, a conical AoE, a targeted AoE, a variant of Aim, a third single-target strong blast, some kind of ability that focuses a control/debuff over damage, a sniper attack, and a massive damage AoE.  Many follow that formula (Energy probably does it best) while some have variations or replacements.  For instance Sonic Attack lacks a sniper and targeted AoE but gets a second (weak) cone and a second control power.  Fire drops the status for another AoE.  Assault Rifle drops Aim for no good reason (Ignite...) while offering another cone in place of the third strong attack.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

23 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Range damage sets, I usually expect two standard single target attacks, a conical AoE, a targeted AoE, a variant of Aim, a third single-target strong blast, some kind of ability that focuses a control/debuff over damage, a sniper attack, and a massive damage AoE.  Many follow that formula (Energy probably does it best) while some have variations or replacements.  For instance Sonic Attack lacks a sniper and targeted AoE but gets a second (weak) cone and a second control power.  Fire drops the status for another AoE.  Assault Rifle drops Aim for no good reason (Ignite...) while offering another cone in place of the third strong attack.

Yeah, not having aim on AR confuses me too XD

10 hours ago, BasherBot said:

Yeah, not having aim on AR confuses me too XD

The problem with a powerset that has 3 cones and relies on mostly bullets...

You don't have to aim, just bring plenty of ammo 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

9 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

The problem with a powerset that has 3 cones and relies on mostly bullets...

You don't have to aim, just bring plenty of ammo 😉

"You don't need to be a better shot, you just need to shoot more bullets"-Marcus's Munitions

Edited by gourdhead
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gourdhead said:

"You don't need to be a better shot, you just need to shot more bullets"-Marcus's Munitions

(thick Russian accent) "People think they can outsmart me. Maybe... Maybe..." (leans forward, brandishing cartridge at camera) "I have yet to meet one that can outsmart bullet." -- Heavy

• Like 2

On 10/29/2020 at 10:37 PM, Twisted Toon said:

Like, maybe, Full Auto?

Except that Full Auto is a Targeted AoE attack, which assumes you can actually target that at which you're shooting, not firing blindly (or, at something you can't see) hoping to score hits.

Edited by retiarius
clarification

7 hours ago, retiarius said:

Except that Full Auto is a Targeted AoE attack, which assumes you can actually target that at which you're shooting, not firing blindly (or, at something you can't see) hoping to score hits.

Sounds like what we need here is a Bullet Control set.  Fear effects as mobs cower, Knockdown as they dive for cover...

• Haha 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

11 hours ago, retiarius said:

In 38 levels, my AR/Dev blaster hasn't run into anything that she can't target.

And, I regularly use Full Auto as I slide behind a wall...

So, I'm technically firing blindly at targets I can't see. (and pulling them onto the trip mine I set around the corner...) 😋