Back in the Live days pre-sundown, a way to get ATOs?

Vanden

I'm looking through some of my old pre-shutdown character builds, and to my surprise I'm finding some of them to have ATOs slotted. I'm quite certain I never got my hands on enough Super Boosters back then to complete any AT sets, and I'm equally sure I never would have paid the reward merit prices that they cost back then (400-500 merits + 25 million inf). Maybe they were available with Alignment Merits? ParagonWiki is being uncharacteristically unhelpful. Anyone remember other ways to get ATOs that got deprecated on Homecoming?

They were definitely in super packs.  I don't recall the Rogues/Vigilantes packs being available but Heroes/Villains were.  My old Dom and Troller definitely had their sets in their builds, the Psi proc in Roots was a big source of my damage on my old Troller.  If they were available with Alignment Merits, I would expect them to have cost around 8-20, I recall the PvP sets could be purchased with alignment merits for an ungodly amount of those, and you generally could only get one or two of those per day if you committed to it.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

According to ParagonWiki, you could buy them with reward or astral merits. And they could be traded on the auction house.

• Like 2

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

11 hours ago, Placta said:

According to ParagonWiki, you could buy them with reward or astral merits. And they could be traded on the auction house.

Yep.

You could absolutely buy and sell the ATOs on the AH. That's how I got them for my favorite Stalker.

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Astral Merits have the same problem as Reward Merits: that 25 million inf price tag on top of the merit costs. I suppose I might have bought them on the AH, but I was wondering if there was some kind of one-time thing where you could get a set for a minimal price, like through the Paragon Rewards program or something.

Paragon Rewards program, Reward Level 9 VIP had Super Packs

• Each time a reward token is placed in this slot it grants the following character item certificates: 5 certificates, each redeemable for one Super Pack: Heroes and Villains. This reward is repeatable.

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Rewards_Program

This is what Super Pack - Heroes and Villains contained:

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Super_Pack/Heroes_and_Villains

I'm sure I never used that option. I was saving tokens for the costume pieces that got rotated in and out, there's no way I spent enough on the Super Booster rewards to get 3 complete sets of ATOs. Even if you consider enhancement converters, which were way more expensive pre-shutdown.