Temporary Powers Changes: Compiled and Described

Monos King

What do you know about Temps?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How many mission rewarded Temporary Powers are NOT obtainable via Ouroboros?

2. 2. Which is NOT an effect Temporary Powers can offer?

• Unresistable -defense
    • Detoggle
    • Unresistable damage
    • Instant kill of certain enemies
  3. 3. What do you think Temps should see in the future?

• More temporary powers added
    • Fine as are
    • More temporary powers become acquirable
    • More temporary powers do unique (though not necessarily useful) things

So, not a lot of people care too much about the Temporary Powers scene, but there are a few of us temp hunters out here, so I thought it'd be entertaining to make a big list of some changes directly for or related to Temporary Powers that I think would be pretty nice. These are mostly modifications proposals and not suggestions for new additions. The idea of a temp vendor is a new inclusion, however.

The proposals will be divided into changes on the limitations of how they are obtained, changes to what a small few do, and changes to the limitations of their durations/charges - the largest category. 

Following a trend with my threads, I'll be color coding these by what I consider to be their significance.

Ultimate Priority -1

High Priority -2

Moderate Priority -3

Highly Reccomended -4

Topic-for-Thought -5

The majority of the changes will be resulting from the lack of duration or actual use of certain temporary powers. Temporary Powers are not meant to be good like primary and secondary abilities, but are often unique rewards. As such, many are supposed to have purpose...which due to either absurd time constraints or utterly useless effects don't quite accomplish. Most temporary powers serve to be collectors items, which makes some of their inaccessibility troublesome when paired with few charges. Let's begin with some Mechanical Suggestions that might ameliorate this issue.

Addition of a Temporary Power Vendor (2024)

So I talked to a few people over the years, members of my Temp Hunting league, friends like @ScarySai, and others. I've finally come around to the idea, and I think a vendor that allows the re-acquisition of temps would be good in some form.

• Re-Instate Empyrean Michael and Astral Christie
    • Allow Reward Merits, Astral Merits, or Empyrean Merits to be cashed in for temporary powers.
      • Have to have already been obtained once before
    • Tier 1 [Non Echo Abilities] Temps (50 Merits, 4 Astral Merits, 1 Empyrean)
    • Tier 2 [Temps that usually get an Echo upon normal re-acquisition] (100 Merits, 8 Astral, 2 Empyrean)
      • (War Wolf Whistle, Wedding Band, Nullifier Gun, etc.)
    • Tier 3 [Temps that are normally never re-obtainable] (200 Merits, 16 Astral, 4 Empyrean)
      • Numina's Grace, Blessing of Tielekku, Aura of Mot, Boon of the Ancestor Spirits, Amy's Ward, etc.)
      • Only once per week
    • Tier PvP [One Use Temps] (100 Merits, 8 Astral, 2 Empyrean | 5 Mill Inf)
      • Warburg Nukes, RV Pets, Siren's Call Temps, Bloody Bay Temps

Not sure about the time constraints that lock purchase, but I think the other parts are good. Empyrean and Astral vendors should...never have actually been removed, as they are not mere vendors but actually core characters in City of Heroes storyline. I'm always looking for excuses to put them back. I choose the incarnate and merit rewards are currency so that it doesn't get too tangled; Aether would be a bad idea for this one in my opinion. I would also be okay with using the corresponding quantities of threads for the vendor.

Changes to Mechanics of Temporary Power Acquisition

• During a team leaders acceptance or completion* of a mission that will grant a temporary power
    • Allow same-zone teammates to also receive the temporary power
    • EX: Team leader accepting "Place Vernon's growth bombs in Eden" from Vernon Von Grun (45-50) will now grant all teammates Creeper Seed
    • EX: Team leader completing "Recover the Red Cap's iron hoard" from Buck Sallinger (30-34) will now grant all teammates Iron Blade

*Note: 1 or 2 temporary powers already operate in this manner. Should be similar to how this works in TF's.

• During a mission owners defeat of an enemy within a mission that will grant a temporary power
    • Allow same-map teammates to also receive the temporary power
    • EX: Defeating Pandora in "Defeat Pandora and Minions" from Hardcase (30-34) will now grant all teammates Demon Box. Previously, only the leader would receive this, regardless of who defeated Pandora.
  • When speaking with a secondary contact to complete a the selected mission that grants a temporary power
    • Allow same-zone teammates to also receive the temporary power

• EX: Team-member speaking to Stephanie Peebles for "Get Spell from Stephanie Peebles" from Tobias Hansen (25-29) will now grant all same-zone teammates the appropriate Warwolf Whistle pet.

• EX: Team-member speaking to Stephanie Peebles for "Confirm Moonfire's suspicions" during the Moonfire TF (25-28) will now grant all same-zone TF members the Nictus Fragment.

• During speaking with a secondary contact to complete an objective within a mission that will grant a temporary power
    • Grant all same-map team-members the temporary power.
    • EX: Speaking with Sun Xiong in "Infiltrate Sun Xiong's Estate" from Graham Easton (15-24) will now grant all team-members either Boon of the Ancestor Spirits or Summon: Tsoo Sorcerer (depending on the leaders choices) once the temp has been granted to the mission owner.

I know a lot of people who never liked the only the fetcher received Nictus Fragment in Moonfire. These changes serve to make temporary power acquisition a much more team inclusive experience, as well as to make it more possible to receive them to begin with. Note that objectives are not listed here, for objectives that grant a temporary power should still be limited to only who interacts with them as there are mechanics that hinge on this (Magisterium, Ms Liberty TF, etc). Demon Box is not an arc mission and is not in Ouroboros, and I am personally of the opinion it should stay this way to encourage unlocking contacts and add to the hunt of collecting temps. With these suggestions, even if you have level elapsed the ability to unlock Hardcase yourself, you may still find someone who has the mission and gain the elusive Demon Box in this way. Overall, any of these would be a slight addition that would not necessarily make getting temps easier, but would make them more accessible. 

Changes to Function of Certain Temporary Powers

As mentioned earlier, many temporary powers are unique rewards for great accomplishments. Certain temporary powers effects to not match up to their esteem. Here are some possibilities for a few.

image.png.76cfe045d279315fad8d1a3b98009422.png Enchantment of Serafina

• Divided into 2 Temporary Powers
    • image.png.8d8825cf9b00075d5e50e49673811fec.png Psionic Residue
    • 10 charges 2 Hours of In-Game Duration
    • +16% - 25% Strength to Psionic Damage -> Minor Psionic Damage Proc (similar to Toxins) (similar to Frost Bite)
  • image.png.456d46bc150a6377f19cd16e43d77748.png  Enchantment of Serafina
    • +20% Resistance to Psionic Damage (All ATs)
    • AoE (30 ft, 16 Targets)
    • 1 minute duration

This power's damage bonus is meaningless. Even if it were +all damage, the blaster value of +25% is still trivial. Unfortunately, it does not even do that, and only increases your sources of psionic damage. Turning this power into a proc would make it more worthy of being the completion reward for the end of a Strike Force. It being only 2 hours of in-game use should allow it to be moderately strong without abuse.

• Temporary_SelfBuffDamage.png.1ebf8eb00b90e090ebc6bbc0f7dde2dc.png  Essence of the Leviathan
    • 1 hour in-game time
    • -1000% recovery rate
    • +50% strength to all damage for 2m (blaster) -> +60% strength to all damage (all ATs)

Not much a serious suggestion, but this powers -recovery is hilarious. It would be fun if the completely not worth it damage buff were the same for all ATs.

• image.png.6c5907104b3da44e27dd6c152da0dc02.png   Void Hunter Rifle
    • Currently does additional damage to a single mission specific NPC.
    • 10 uses -> 20 uses (more in line with similar vill-side weaponry charges) 
    • Would like to see it affect all Nictus NPCs: Arakhn, Requiem, Sunstorm, Romulus Augustus Nictus, Galaxy Council Members, Shadow Freaks, PPD Kheldians, Path of Dark, Cimeroran Warshades, Nictus Enemy Group, Warwolves (Warwolves are Nictus mutants, not technically active Nictus who would count)

Ok, I know these ones aren't happening anytime soon because it would require each of these NPC groups getting a special tag, but this happening would be really cool and I always wanted to see this happen since I first acquired the temporary power years ago. If these NPCs are ever being modified, I think it'd be a great idea to let them get affected by the Void Weaponry Temps. 

• image.png.b7bfc9cd75f29d46feae057866c2a99a.png  Ghostslayer Bomb
    • Currently does not affect Circle of Thorns Ghosts, or Tsoo Ancestor Spirits.
  • image.png.8533f92d063618ab3a4c59d20c387abe.png Ghostslayer Rifle
    • Currently does not affect Circle of Thorns Ghosts, or Tsoo Ancestor Spirits.

This isn't limited to just these two powers. I am certain that this is simply an oversight from loooong ago, but same thing as the above with the Void Rifle; it would be amazing if these could affect those two enemies. It's likely they were simply never given the ghost tag. Consider this a bug report!

• image.png.248e03af4d563da6b21016196386afd8.png  Arachnos Mini-Blaster | Longbow Mech (Proposal 1)
    • 1 charge
    • Summons Weak Pet class mini of Recluse Victory Heavy EB Pet -> Summons a boss class version of the RV Heavy EB Pet
    • Infinite Duration                    
  • image.png.f750001110f763414cc07d28f74dfcdc.png   Arachnos Mini-Blaster | Longbow Mech (Proposal 2)
    • 1 charge -> 10 charges
    • Summons Weak Pet class mini of Recluse Victory Heavy EB Pet 
    • Infinite Duration -> Long Duration

The RV pets are terrible and bad and are entirely unbecoming of victory in the highest level PvP zone. The pets awarded should either follow the model of the Vanguard HVAS pet next to exactly, or at the very least come with a great deal of charges. I invite anyone to read the detailed info on these pets; they are the absolute weakest temporary pet summons and I verify this as someone who has all of them. If the power came with enough charges to act as something that could be shown off, this would not be entirely unacceptable. But coming at just one charge, the powers fail in both function and flare. They should either be strong or be good for brags, and currently, they're neither.

• image.png.3646609491b9719932c38b585e5ba172.png  The True Furnace
    • +Max End
    • Restore Endurance Drain Debuff Resistance
  • image.png.26f4940356213e01777852801c6c83b0.png  The Perfect Eye
    • +Perception
    • Restore +ACC bonus

These ones are just putting thoughts out there, not sure why these two effects were removed from these temps but I don't see much issue for them not to be there any longer. +acc and endurance res are pretty rare, if they should be found anywhere it should be the Cathedral of Pain's rewards. On to bigger things.

Changes to Limitations of Various Temporary Powers

Siren's Call

• Increase the Duration of all timed zone control armor temps to 1 hour in-game time
    • Originally 30 minutes in-game; affects
      • image.png.8a9703ce9a7633fe93de11cd203fb038.png   Kinetic Shield
      • image.png.24ac6df0b0e044d66d5418d6801a4bcd.png   IR Goggles
      • image.png.9bb4294186402e36ff65841866e99787.png   Cryonite Armor
      • image.png.50cb0a4a2f4cffe9d3876f43e0a8372e.png   Stealth Suit
  • Increase Venom Grenades from 3 Charges to 5 Charges
  • Change Arachnos Mace from 30 minutes in-game to 30 charges
  • Increase Stun Grenades from 6 to 15 charges 

Recluse's Victory

As discussed earlier on:

• image.png.57fc882a3728ec05ae1739a5c8f4031a.png   Arachnos Mini-Blaster | Longbow Mech (2)
    • Change to Long Duration Pet with 10 charges

Zone Events

• Change duration of all reward temporary powers from 20 hours real-time to 20 hours in-game time
    • This is in line with other zone event rewards
      • image.png.3e60d44ecbb0d110770cf0aaf9e98a12.png  Sawed-Off Shotgun (wiki misnamed)
      • image.png.984b4e816df01b9201e288df1a9c61d4.png  PPD Grenade Launcher
      • image.png.28bcafe66d2df0c81bed1f2ac8789200.png  Salvaged Sub-Machine Gun

Powers are not around long enough at 20 hour real time duration to be of any practical or cosmetic function. These would be better off as charge powers like praetorian zone events, but I'm not sure it's entirely necessary now. Being on a timer has its advantages at any rate. 

Task Forces and Signature Story Arcs

• image.png.6e32eba70fb2323a1862cdcc86f5d83b.png  Amy's Ward
    • Remove one time only limitation on Amy's Ward and allow consecutive runs to reward a one charge Echo version.
  • image.png.6d184db014c88126b2bbde35bda39723.png  Numina's Grace
    • Remove one time only limitation and allow it to be gained once a month.
  • Increase these powers duration from 30 minutes in-game time to 4 hours in-game time (will not overwrite)
    • In line with most auto-power rewards, much less rigorous to achieve autos usually offer at least 2 hours
      • PowerofScirocco.png  Power of Black Scorpion
      • PowerofCaptainMako.png  Power of Captain Mako
      • PowerofBlackScorpion.png  Power of Scirocco
      • PowerofGhostWidow.png  Power of Ghost Widow

Missions and Arcs

• image.png.e9e1f3bcfc5c1127c4339b62670c90af.png   Warwolf Whistle
    • Remove (echo) version of this power entirely, or give the echo 5 charges.
  • Temporary PieceOfTheWheel.png  Nullifier Gun Mk I
    • Remove (echo) version of this power entirely.

These powers are quite potent, but not deserving of a neutered version due to their effect. Considering War wolves were later placed on the market anyway, it should be acceptable that one who goes through the effort of doing the Ouroboros arcs should get the proper product. 

• Remove one time only limitation on these powers
    • Graham Easton arcs added towards the end of the game, it is likely this is a glitch rather than a design intention
      • image.png.ef069c8686b5e1451ef7286c1c240fc1.png   Summon: Tsoo Sorcerer
      • image.png.8ca9b592d7c7fbab2ff176ca08a4de12.png   Boon of the Ancestor Spirits
  • image.png.23ceddbe4a3982033f6da86dc23d67e3.png  Magical Burst
    • Increase from 10 charges to 60 charges
    • Remove 5 day real time limit

The Dark Astoria Temporary Powers are one time limited and thus only obtainable one time. The auto powers are long lasting enough (5 days in game time) that this is acceptable, but Magical Burst is limited to both only 10 uses and 5 days of unfortunate real-time. It is one of the most damaging temporary powers, but if limited to being attainable only once, it really should get more charges. At the very least, the real time limit needs to disappear. As for the Graham Easton temporary powers, those definitely should be obtainable several times like 98% of all other temporary powers in the game. They aren't particularly good, and I am convinced this was simply a result of limited testing.

That's about it for now. There are a few other minor changes I wouldn't mind seeing (some of them are actually nerfs) but those could be details for later. Temps aren't much a priority, but I think what is here would be generally for the most benefit to gaining temps overall considering some of the games boundaries. Let me know if you have questions or agree with these proposals!

Edited by Monos King
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, Monos King said:

The RV pets are terrible and bad and are entirely unbecoming of victory in the highest level PvP zone. The pets awarded should either follow the model of the Vanguard HVAS pet next to exactly, or at the very least come with a great deal of charges. I invite anyone to read the detailed info on these pets; they are the absolute weakest temporary pet summons and I verify this as someone who has all of them. If the power came with enough charges to act as something that could be shown off, this would not be entirely unacceptable. But coming at just one charge, the powers fail in both function and flare. They should either be strong or be good for brags, and currently, they're neither.

I have fond memories of hanging out in the train station in RV with other badge hunters shortly after i7's launch, waiting for Contaminated to spawn. I'll never forget the moment that a Contaminated spawned while I had a Longbow Mech hanging out, watching the level 50 pet use its Air Bomb attack on it (that huge AoE attack that they get), and seeing it fail to one-shot the -49 minion.

• Haha 1

My biggest QoL suggestion would be to make it so that any re-earnable temp power has the maximum duration or maximum charges upped by double or more, and to let multiple purchases or rewards stack so that it's less of a chore to refresh them. 

It's inconvenient to have to go all the way back to RWZ to reload on Psi Shield and HVAS summons instead of being able to just stock up on 5 at a time.  Or the Wedding Ring and Wolf Whistle.  If I want to run the arc three times to get three instances, let them stack up.  Balance is shot anyway at this point, so does it matter if I can summon a small army of reusable temp pets while wearing 4 layers of reearnable temp armor?  At this point, I can do just that already, but it makes me have to tour the whole city to restock instead of letting me fill my pockets and be good for a while.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Omega-202 said:

If I want to run the arc three times to get three instances, let them stack up.

I know of exactly one temporary power in which this applies (outside of pay2win of course) and I do think that it would be a good idea to apply that concept to some more. I definitely think RWZ temps should stack at least 3 times.

Vanguard HVAS could never be one because of it's infinite duration though. It's a good trade off.

@Patti If you mean for the HVAS. That might seem like a good idea initially, but you have to consider cost and duration. The HVAS would, in line with other temps, last no more than 5 minutes. It also cost 250 Vanguard Merits per purchase. If you wanted a Vanguard HVAS for the entirety of your time in a farm map or taking control of a PvP zone, you would need to spend 250×30 Vanguard merits. That's 7500 merits. As compared to 250 (on a support class where you can guarantee it's permanent survival) or a few more if it dies and you need to get more later. It is an unrestricted Elite Boss, so death isn't that common to begin with. 

The cost of summoning the HVAS could be lowered, perhaps to 200, but it would still be a lot of merits to replicate the previous practical time limits case by case.

Edited by Monos King

• Temporary WarWolfWhistle.png  Arachnos Mini-Blaster | Longbow Mech (Proposal 1)
    • 1 charge
    • Summons Weak Pet class mini of Recluse Victory Heavy EB Pet -> Summons a boss class version of the RV Heavy EB Pet
    • Infinite Duration                    
  • Temporary WarWolfWhistle.png  Arachnos Mini-Blaster | Longbow Mech (Proposal 2)
    • 1 charge -> 10 charges
    • Summons Weak Pet class mini of Recluse Victory Heavy EB Pet 
    • Infinite Duration -> Long Duration

•  

First of all, this needs to happen. Secondly, another Temporary Power that I believe should be changed is [Manifold Resonator]. The temp power says that it will make you intangible and you'd slowly phase back into normal reality, but it doesn't do any of the effects it says. Idealy, the temp should have you intangible and you are to slowly phase back into normal space in a span of 30 seconds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 11/13/2020 at 8:46 AM, Patti said:

All of everything.

I must say, I'd like to see that for quite a few temporary powers. Probably not the super OP ones...but that'd be cool.  

Edit: Not something I'm calling for myself, but with things like warburg nukes? If you still only get one charge per missile launch itd probably actually be fine. The nukes have long recharge and are unavoidably tedious to get.

Edited by Monos King