The Future - An Open Letter from the Homecoming Team

Jimmy

You now have the power to run your own server! You're no longer beholden to the whims of others! Expend that effort making your own perfect CoH world! Why try to tear down someone else's sandbox when you can build up your own?

"You now have the power to run your own server!" ignores the massive necessity of the "massively multiplayer" bit of "MMORPG" which at the moment homecoming is monopolizing. So yes, we're allowed to criticize them for running their servers poorly.

BS.

It ignores nothing.

What it does is hightlight the FACT that you and many of the other whiners here do not have what it takes to create a server environment that competes with this one.

Period.

If you really think you can do better, do it.

The i24 crowd found out fast that they are a monrotiy, for example, but they have servers that they are trying to grow, while dissing these, of course.

Nothing but your own brain chemistry stops you from creating a better server farm to attract players.

You peole are just mad because the GM won't let you play the way you want to and that is fine.

Find another game, just like in RL.

And of course, you are welcome to complain here until you get banned or leave.

We are also welcome to tell you your ideas are silly.

You now have the power to run your own server! You're no longer beholden to the whims of others! Expend that effort making your own perfect CoH world! Why try to tear down someone else's sandbox when you can build up your own?

"You now have the power to run your own server!" ignores the massive necessity of the "massively multiplayer" bit of "MMORPG" which at the moment homecoming is monopolizing. So yes, we're allowed to criticize them for running their servers poorly.

Does whining and accusing people (because the Dev's are human) of malfeasance normally sway people to your views?

Yes you are, if they wish to allow you do so on their own forums, and IF they are indeed doing as you claim. However, doing a poor job is not equal to not doing what you want. That's just being a self-entitled *****.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I am playing on the Homecoming "monopolizing" servers is because it is being run by people who have a vision for CoH as a continuing effort.  Also, there are names connected to it that I recognize as people who care deeply about the game.  It gives me the feeling of playing with old friends. 

Keep it civil, everyone.

I'm always civil.  ;D

Just a personal note on the new name policy.  Today, I logged in and noticed that most of my characters had not been accessed in 8 days.  Knowing that I left them all at Day Job locations, I went into each, and moved them each to a new Day Job location.  The whole thing took about 10 minutes.  I have 13 characters.  While I know that some have more than that, I wanted to point out that, for 13 characters, it was not a time consuming, or exhaustive effort to log into each one, and move them somewhere that was advantageous for them to just stand around.  Get enough of these, and there are accolades, and they get to keep their super cool names that I don't want to give up. 

Since I had 25 or more Level 50 characters at the end of the 8 years of the original run, I think I am being honest is saying that each of these, and any new ones I create down the line, will have their time in the spotlight.  I wish I had time to play all of them constantly, but I don't.  So, the idea is to keep them doing something productive until their particular time comes.

What was no more, is REBORN!

Homecoming has no obligation to advertise any other servers plain and simple. Maybe instead of planting trolls into the forums (not saying you are one.. I have read all your posts) to try and discredit Homecoming - they should focus more on things to make more people want to play on their servers. I for one have NO interest in playing on an Issue 24 server because... Sentinels. Most of my friends play on Homecoming (I have a couple who have left due to the Rage nerf). Would I rather play on a server where Incarnate Trials happened like they did on live (practically non-stop - you bet I would). Problem is Incarnate trials are not enough to pull me away from the things I love about the Homecoming servers.

The Homecoming server crew have worked their butts off to provide CoH to those of us who have waited 6.5 years as well as new players. They were the first well-organized group to offer CoH to the masses. They continue to make changes in order to keep the playerbase happy (to an extent). I am constantly reading about CoH online and just discovered Rebirth etc... frankly I am not impressed by the caliber of their forums nor the number of players. You cannot blame Homecoming for appealing to the masses, for giving people their "fix", and frankly for being a better communicative team than the original Devs...and any of the other groups out there apparently.

Don't get me wrong there are things I do not like that they have done, but overall I am very happy at Homecoming. Heck there were things about the original game I did not like, but I played every day from launch to the second it shut down. The lower population servers need to find something to lure more players to them instead of complaining that Homecoming is "monopolizing" the playerbase.

Homecoming has no obligation to advertise any other servers plain and simple. Maybe instead of planting trolls into the forums (not saying you are one.. I have read all your posts) to try and discredit Homecoming - they should focus more on things to make more people want to play on their servers. I for one have NO interest in playing on an Issue 24 server because... Sentinels. Most of my friends play on Homecoming (I have a couple who have left due to the Rage nerf). Would I rather play on a server where Incarnate Trials happened like they did on live (practically non-stop - you bet I would). Problem is Incarnate trials are not enough to pull me away from the things I love about the Homecoming servers.

The Homecoming server crew have worked their butts off to provide CoH to those of us who have waited 6.5 years as well as new players. They were the first well-organized group to offer CoH to the masses. They continue to make changes in order to keep the playerbase happy (to an extent). I am constantly reading about CoH online and just discovered Rebirth etc... frankly I am not impressed by the caliber of their forums nor the number of players. You cannot blame Homecoming for appealing to the masses, for giving people their "fix", and frankly for being a better communicative team than the original Devs...and any of the other groups out there apparently.

Don't get me wrong there are things I do not like that they have done, but overall I am very happy at Homecoming. Heck there were things about the original game I did not like, but I played every day from launch to the second it shut down. The lower population servers need to find something to lure more players to them instead of complaining that Homecoming is "monopolizing" the playerbase.

Agreed!  It's not monopolization if people choose to be here, and if so many choose to be here, then perhaps they need to concentrate more on finding things to make their server(s) more appealing, and stop looking for ways to make Homecoming appear less appealing (unfairly, I might add). 

Things like this always shake out.  Maybe the answer is for the multitude of I24 servers to work together.  Some will always be outliers - I'm not playing on a 4chan server - but maybe if they are all doing essentially the same thing, combining their efforts might be the way to go.  And if they are *not* doing the same thing, then people will go where they feel comfortable playing.

I know I've begged, groveled and planned out-right to kidnap all the devs and torture them with 24/7 of Justin Bieber songs...But any chance of a Permanent Rikti costume on the horizon.

I went through great lengths to attain one pre-shutdown, and would love a way to get it back. 

Things like this always shake out.  Maybe the answer is for the multitude of I24 servers to work together.  Some will always be outliers - I'm not playing on a 4chan server - but maybe if they are all doing essentially the same thing, combining their efforts might be the way to go.  And if they are *not* doing the same thing, then people will go where they feel comfortable playing.

Yeah, it would seem like combing forces between the Reddit, and 4Chan servers would be a good idea to bump up the player population.  But, they 4Chan server would have to have some kind of warning about what to expect as far as player conduct.  Other than that, sounds like a solid idea.  Just not sure how jazzed the folks running those servers are about the concept.

One question I wanted to ask anything about the so calle Battalin which the origianl Devs mentioned about which is some evil bent on destorying Primal Earth after we defeated tyrant which i hope that discussion about The Battlion does come true?

I am constantly reading about CoH online and just discovered Rebirth etc... frankly I am not impressed by the caliber of their forums nor the number of players. You cannot blame Homecoming for appealing to the masses, for giving people their "fix", and frankly for being a better communicative team than the original Devs...and any of the other groups out there apparently.

Rebirth has forums?  I’m only aware of their Discord.  If you could PM me a link, that would be appreciated.

Personally, I’m on 3 out of 4 of the servers (never touching coxg).  I played on amost all of the live servers and have no problems spreading the love.

I like some of the i25 changes and the server population and the very helpful admins.  I like how  Pleiades gives me basically the same experience that I had at shutdown and the admins have been very friendly.  Rebirth gave many of us our own private servers and the leaders are constantly helping those of us who aren’t as tech savvy continue to keep them running.

My personal hope is that at some point the leaders of all of them set aside their differences and egos and find ways to ensure that all servers survive rather than continue to divide the player base.  (The players should also stop fanboying and/or throwing hate toward any individual server group.  Fallible humans are leading them and deifying or demonizing them doesn’t help anything)

Here’s an example on how that could benefit all.  One of the developers has an import/export tool created.  I believe she’s mitigated the dbquery issues referenced earlier in this thread (need to read her latest notes).  Now the discussions are on how this tool can be fairly used to allow people to

a) save their characters to alleviate worries about a rapid shutdown. 

b) move characters for different experiences.  Want to level up on Homecoming but want the incarnate experience of Rebirth?  This would allow it.

Obviously there are many things things to work through, including how to handle sets and ATs and power differences so it would take all the leaders  working together. 

One of the developers has an import/export tool created.  I believe she’s mitigated the dbquery issues referenced earlier in this thread (need to read her latest notes). 

Do you have any links to threads about this? Thanks.

It isn't 'hate' to say that some servers are being run by fallible humans who have a different vision of game play than we have.  When I say that there are servers I'd never play on, it isn't because I expect perfect development.  It's because the community there is not one I want to be a part of.  That is purely a matter of personal taste.  It doesn't have to be as extreme as 4chan.  There is a certain Big Name Fan from the old days who would never see me on a server run by him or his group.  (I have no idea if he's involved in any current server) because I love to solo and he thought it should be mandatory to have an eight person team to cross the street.  Players will go where they feel comfortable.

Here’s an example on how that could be fit all.  One of the developers has an import/export tool created.  I believe she’s mitigated the dbquery issues referenced earlier in this thread (need to read her latest notes).  Now the discussions are on how this tool can be fairly used to allow people to

b) move characters for different experiences.  Want to level up on Homecoming but want the incarnate experience of Rebirth?  This would allow it.

Obviously there are many things things to work through, including how to handle sets and ATs and power differences so it would take all the leaders  working together.

These are the technical levers.

The technology can always be worked out, geiven enough kungfu.

However, the players involved would crush this like a bug.

Can you imagine the indignation of an i24 'purist' playing on a server where someone like me was allowed to level up on 'easy mode' on HC and then want to transfer to thier 'real' server?

I can. :)

Some of these ideas are awesome and many will work mechanically just fine.

I simply do not see they 'communities' coming together, they never have and recent events show us many have no desire to compromise, only to dictate and demean those of us that are 'cheating' and 'not playing the way the devs intended.'

As much as I think central character vault would be awesome, 30 years of experience in IT tells me that the humans involved will prevent it, IMO.

One of the developers has an import/export tool created.  I believe she’s mitigated the dbquery issues referenced earlier in this thread (need to read her latest notes). 

Do you have any links to threads about this? Thanks.

I don’t thing the forums mods want us linking - but the OuroDev discord is where you can read about all the other servers development and get help for your own servers.  The web portal has its own thread?  (I’m not Discord literate, lol). 

I am constantly reading about CoH online and just discovered Rebirth etc... frankly I am not impressed by the caliber of their forums nor the number of players. You cannot blame Homecoming for appealing to the masses, for giving people their "fix", and frankly for being a better communicative team than the original Devs...and any of the other groups out there apparently.

Rebirth has forums?  I’m only aware of their Discord.  If you could PM me a link, that would be appreciated.

Personally, I’m on 3 out of 4 of the servers (never touching coxg).  I played on amost all of the live servers and have no problems spreading the love.

I like some of the i25 changes and the server population and the very helpful admins.  I like how  Pleiades gives me basically the same experience that I had at shutdown and the admins have been very friendly.  Rebirth gave many of us our own private servers and the leaders are constantly helping those of us who aren’t as tech savvy continue to keep them running.

My personal hope is that at some point the leaders of all of them set aside their differences and egos and find ways to ensure that all servers survive rather than continue to divide the player base.  (The players should also stop fanboying and/or throwing hate toward any individual server group.  Fallible humans are leading them and deifying or demonizing them doesn’t help anything)

Here’s an example on how that could benefit all.  One of the developers has an import/export tool created.  I believe she’s mitigated the dbquery issues referenced earlier in this thread (need to read her latest notes).  Now the discussions are on how this tool can be fairly used to allow people to

I think there are pro's and con's to both models (centralizing and decentralized).  Decentralized allows for different experiences that tailor to the players styles.  Don't like how easy HC is - go to another server.  You want a server to allow you to auto-level to lvl 50 - there is one out there...Want a free for all <shudder> - join coxg -

Another benefit is, and I am totally serious here - the more we don't all work together, the less of a target we are for NCSoft.  - (Hey look, they are all playing in the same place - let's send out the C&D and we can shut them all down, and now they will ALL lose their characters).  As long as it feels like whack-a-mole to them, we are less of a target.

I'm not a fan of central repository in the current scheme for those reasons.  Should things change with the legalities, I would likely change my opinion pretty quick.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I'm sure I'm in the minority - but Battalion? I know some players have multiple toons in the high vet levels already decked out with tier 4's and they are honestly bored with running BAF and Lambda. Heck, I'm one of them.

That said...there are still plenty of level 50 players - about 5 each time I'm on a BAF that have absolutely no idea how to do BAF, because they've never done it before. And most leaders don't take time to explain anything. Some do - and I make sure to make a note in game about how well they do, because those are the folks I look to team with for future trials.

But if you add Battalion -- there's going to be a large chunk of the player base that gets left behind. I say, if it's not broken, don't fix it. We have our game back for the time being. Can't we just leave well enough alone?

CoH could have left the game as it was in Issue 4, and given all the power choices, that would have been fine with me.

I know we were going to fight The Battalion on a next major expansion for CoH and the remainding 4 incarnate powers that were never released but I am just love the CoH lore and seeing something like this would really make a lot of us old coh vets happy.