The Future - An Open Letter from the Homecoming Team

Jimmy

Question:

CoH had quite a long run... as a result, later added art assets often did not... Match, the original art assets, especially for costuming textures.

Many of us art guys wanted to fix it for YEARS and were willing to throw in a free and clear art release for the privilege, but NCsoft was NOT biting. They didn't even want to SEE replacement textures.

The question is, would you guys be willing to look at donated texture assets made by those of us who love the game, in order to update some of those incredibly old first-generation art assets and maybe make the old 'no shader' costume stuff look a bit better?

The thing that needs to be remembered is that the current game settings are the same ones they used during the 6 year hiding period when there was not a large enough player base to support incarnate trials etc. Things needed to be easier then.

The fact that it's run this long like this has been a great help for players trying to regain what they lost at shutdown (self included). Now it seems they are trying to even things out and balance the game for everyone (never a bad thing). Some people will complain and throw up the "you're just trying to tell people how to play!" argument but the balancing is really helpful and for the good of all the players.

Thanks HC Team!

Tell the all haters to go do it better if they think they can and keep on rockin', because all the tools exist to do it.

This narrative by the haters that HC is somehow holding people emotionally hostage is BS, IMO.

So go do it better if you think you can...go do it all 'right' if you think you can.

Those of you think think this idea is devisive, fine then, go change the code to add the options you desire and submit that to HC.

Basically, to anyone whining, Put Up or Shut Up.

If you really think you know better, Show Us.

So, basically, just like on Live, there are bunch of busy-bodies and hall monitors that think there is only one Right way to Play and have Fun.

And?

Some game things changed and some gamers are losing their minds over it.

And?

People are running off the end of the pier on fire, with only half the data.

And?

Sounds like just another day in CoX or any other MMO to me.

Some are going to be angry/sad/mad, because they love to be angry/sad/mad.

Others are going to be happy, because they are wired that way.

I think most of us are just happy to be playing the game and the minutae of controls to generate income being removed is awesome.

Thanks for making it happen.

• Like 1

Question:

CoH had quite a long run... as a result, later added art assets often did not... Match, the original art assets, especially for costuming textures.

Many of us art guys wanted to fix it for YEARS and were willing to throw in a free and clear art release for the privilege, but NCsoft was NOT biting. They didn't even want to SEE replacement textures.

The question is, would you guys be willing to look at donated texture assets made by those of us who love the game, in order to update some of those incredibly old first-generation art assets and maybe make the old 'no shader' costume stuff look a bit better?

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/board,43.0.html

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

The big difference here, as opposed to other MMOs when folks don't like what's going on (whether it is a real issue, or just a perceived one), is that they have alternatives where these issues, real or perceived, don't exist.  So I am puzzled why you would stay here if you are unhappy, and complain that this site, is not like those sites?  As much as I hate seeing the community fracture because there are alternative servers that cater to those with different preferences/play styles, it is an option which does not require any resignation from this site, or announcement that one is doing so, or even a manifesto for extolling the virtues of the other servers, while trashing this one, as so many seem to want to do.  You just stop coming here, and just go there.  Pretty easy really.  No hard feelings, and I hope you find the grass is actually greener over there.  My guess is, that it actually won't be, for one reason, or another.  But, most will either stay there because coming back would mean admitting they were mistaken, or they'll just quite outright.  In any case, let the process begin when it will, and end where it will.  Then the rest of us can continue enjoying what we have right here. 

Please, and thank you.

What was no more, is REBORN!

The big difference here, as opposed to other MMOs when folks don't like what's going on (whether it is a real issue, or just a perceived one), is that they have alternatives where these issues, real or perceived, don't exist.  So I am puzzled why you would stay here if you are unhappy, and complain that this site, is not like those sites?  As much as I hate seeing the community fracture because there are alternative servers that cater to those with different preferences/play styles, it is an option which does not require any resignation from this site, or announcement that one is doing so, or even a manifesto for extolling the virtues of the other servers, while trashing this one, as so many seem to want to do.  You just stop coming here, and just go there.  Pretty easy really.  No hard feelings, and I hope you find the grass is actually greener over there.  My guess is, that it actually won't be, for one reason, or another.  But, most will either stay there because coming back would mean admitting they were mistaken, or they'll just quite outright.  In any case, let the process begin when it will, and end where it will.  Then the rest of us can continue enjoying what we have right here. 

Please, and thank you.

I think it comes down to this:  it’s not enough for haters to fly in first class; they have to know that everyone else is in coach.

The logical thing for people that are so bent out of shape with homecoming is to go to one of the other servers. But why would you chose the logical approach when you can just rage and complain and try to get everyone else to change so that you don’t have to. It’s a case of, I’m the only one in the world that actually matters. All others are just pawns to do obey my will or ants to be crushed under my boot. If it weren’t so, the haters would just calmly (most likely quietly) leave homecoming for one of the other servers. 

It's an attitude that pervades far too many aspects of our society.  It's typically not enough for someone to believe strongly in something.  They tend to believe it so strongly that they become convinced it is the only real truth, and that everyone should think the same way.  Anyone who doesn't is obviously a moron worthy of ridicule.  It's as if they think "If you would just think the way I do, everything would be fine!".  They go so far as to not just advocate their position on this, that, or the other thing.  They foist their views on others, which is where I draw the line.  It's regrettable.

• Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

It's an attitude that pervades far too many aspects of our society.  It's typically not enough for someone to believe strongly in something.  They tend to believe it so strongly that they become convinced it is the only real truth, and that everyone should think the same way.  Anyone who doesn't is obviously a moron worthy of ridicule.  It's as if they think "If you would just think the way I do, everything would be fine!".  They go so far as to not just advocate their position on this, that, or the other thing.  They foist their views on others, which is where I draw the line.  It's regrettable.

Aman Brother!

QTF

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

What's even worse is when you say something that is transparently REAL truth, and utterly indisputable fact, and then weirdos think it's some kind of Opinion.

"You probably shouldn't let a three year old use a loaded firearm as a toy"

"Licking the bleach off the cap is a bad idea."

"No, you won't be able make your own MMORPG on the weekends using Unreal in less than a year."

Sometimes these blatantly ridiculous claims MUST be forced into the light of understanding. Or you get gun accidents, or chemical burns. Or Steam.

No. all opinions, Paradigms, beliefs, and  are not equally Valid. That's what 'Judgement' is for. and discriminating between sense and nonsense. I believe stronghly that you should not allow your toddler to play with a straight razor. No matter what YOU believe, I am going to argue against it, and do what's necessary to prevent it. Because, if you believe your toddler is okay playing with a gun or straight razor, you are WRONG.

This attitude that 'every Opinion is valuable' and that arguing against stupid opinions is somehow wrong or impolite or bigoted, is an even MORE destructive and pervasive force in our society.

Sometimes you just cannot agree to disagree.

A HUGE THANK YOU to the Homecoming team for helping make CoH/CoV available in such a stable format. My friends and I have the excitement of a Kindergartner on the first day of school now that we have the chance to play the game we love. We just hope we can donate in time next month to support the cause!

I think it comes down to this:  it’s not enough for haters to fly in first class; they have to know that everyone else is in coach.

I think this is quite possibly the best summary I have ever seen of this issue - kudos!

Thank you.

"Who am I? You sure you want to know? The story of my life is not for the faint of heart. If somebody said it was a happy little tale... if somebody told you I was just your average ordinary guy, not a care in the world... somebody lied."​

I'm not happy about this changes, I thought the whole point to having this buffs, is to help us catch up to the point where we were before the shutdown. Starting over is not easy, It I had 3 toons that could solo 8 man content in the main game, Even Praetoria, but it literally took years, to get to that point. I understand that maybe this buffs should not be on forever, but at least the first 6 to 9 months we needed them, to help us catch up.

I'm not happy about this changes, I thought the whole point to having this buffs, is to help us catch up to the point where we were before the shutdown. Starting over is not easy, It I had 3 toons that could solo 8 man content in the main game, Even Praetoria, but it literally took years, to get to that point. I understand that maybe this buffs should not be on forever, but at least the first 6 to 9 months we needed them, to help us catch up.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Should have probably started earlier then. Bummer.

GM Jimmy, thank you for this letter. I appreciate the work everyone at Homecoming has done to bring back a game I've missed so much, and am delighted to be a part of forever.

Rest assured that when the donation window opens up next month, I will contribute what I can. If I had a chance, I'd gladly pay a reoccurring sub.

What's even worse is when you say something that is transparently REAL truth, and utterly indisputable fact, and then weirdos think it's some kind of Opinion.

"You probably shouldn't let a three year old use a loaded firearm as a toy"

"Licking the bleach off the cap is a bad idea."

"No, you won't be able make your own MMORPG on the weekends using Unreal in less than a year."

Sometimes these blatantly ridiculous claims MUST be forced into the light of understanding. Or you get gun accidents, or chemical burns. Or Steam.

No. all opinions, Paradigms, beliefs, and  are not equally Valid. That's what 'Judgement' is for. and discriminating between sense and nonsense. I believe stronghly that you should not allow your toddler to play with a straight razor. No matter what YOU believe, I am going to argue against it, and do what's necessary to prevent it. Because, if you believe your toddler is okay playing with a gun or straight razor, you are WRONG.

This attitude that 'every Opinion is valuable' and that arguing against stupid opinions is somehow wrong or impolite or bigoted, is an even MORE destructive and pervasive force in our society.

Sometimes you just cannot agree to disagree.

Regardless of where you stand on the issues in the game, I’m just going to say that comparing opinions about what happens in a computer game to opinions about gun safety is not a good comparison. They are in completely different leagues and worlds for that matter. One involves experiences in a game that have no true real affect in life.  The other could literally mean the difference between real world life and death.

:) Thank you all so very much!!!! I loved playing this with my son when he was a young teenager and now you have brought us back to those fun times long ago......TY TY TY!

This runs great and we are so appreciative and thankful to you all at Homecoming..... it truly is a GREAT Homecoming!

You now have the power to run your own server! You're no longer beholden to the whims of others! Expend that effort making your own perfect CoH world! Why try to tear down someone else's sandbox when you can build up your own?

"You now have the power to run your own server!" ignores the massive necessity of the "massively multiplayer" bit of "MMORPG" which at the moment homecoming is monopolizing. So yes, we're allowed to criticize them for running their servers poorly.

231292c19dd204589dad10bc8f7460b30381cc06_small.gif.093417962b264ce2a68a88daec0bd8dc.gif

"You now have the power to run your own server!" ignores the massive necessity of the "massively multiplayer" bit of "MMORPG" which at the moment homecoming is monopolizing. So yes, we're allowed to criticize them for running their servers poorly.

Let me introduce you to a fine old saying.  "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."