The Future - An Open Letter from the Homecoming Team

Jimmy

I keep hearing requests to change the game, for various reasons, when in most cases, simply adjusting one's own play style will address most of the concerns I have seen.  You don't want to level so fast, turn off XP earning.  You don't like inherent Stamina, don't slot it, and it will be MUCH less a factor.  Don't like DFB, don't play it, and you can create a separate chat window to squelch all of the calls for DFB.  Don't like the naming policy?  Log in and move your characters around once in awhile.  Move them to new Day Job locations, and it makes it more worthwhile.  The one I really love is when folks complain about not being able to find a team for this, that, or the other thing.  The answer there is to put one together yourself.  There are a lot of people around, and if you put out a call, you will find folks who want to go along.  It's not that hard.

There are easy solutions to all of these issues that don't require the game to be changed to accommodate.  Let's not forget that it was just a little over a month ago, and there was NO game.  Now we have had it for a few weeks, and we are already dictating terms on how we will enjoy it more?  I think we really need to sit back, take stock of what we have been given (which is a second chance that nobody ever thought would happen), and appreciate what we've got. 

You want changes to the game?  Let's start thinking of things that actually require change, and are inclusive of the whole community, instead of those that would make it more the way we as individuals would like to see it.

I like your "Think global but act local" view.

And I have no reservations about people that do Power level (just missing out on some fun content IMHO), I freely admit to using DFB to get to my 20's (being an Altoholic repeating the same missions over and over can become tedious).

My main (i guess) gripe is... Why?

I get all these things handed to me where's the impetus for me to actually do anything in game?

I can make my own Superbase better than the batcave. Why do I need an SG?

I can open my Incarnate slot and get all the threads/shards/whatever I need just by doing RWZ until my eyes bleed. Why should I do anything else?

Without the adversity of mission, the game (for me, your mileage may vary) looses the sense of accomplishment.

and yes No one is talking about turning off XP. More of turning up the difficulty in gaining it.

will there be a switch from the current "easy mode" of game play to a more standard form of play experience?

The OP indicates they're leaning into the incarnate system changes and such, but as Jimmy pointed out back on page 1, the Rebirth server is running a more vanilla version of the game without these modifications. They're also missing the content and QOL features added by i25, but the Ouroboros dev team will be working on some of those QOL features as their next project.

and yes that's an excellent point to make.

We also have to keep in mind that in the time before the shut-down, this game was a "for profit" venture.  Things were intentionally sparse to begin with, to keep folks paying month to month, in order to get to that next reward, and to make it a long-term commitment if at all possible.

Now, that is obviously no longer the case, so everything is available much earlier, and it becomes more contingent on us to determine for ourselves how best to use (or not use) these things.  I hope to see the community grow to the point where there is a flavor of server to accommodate anyone's taste.  But, in these early stages, let's just play, and support what we have until the future of the movement becomes more clear, and refrain from complaint about something that we are darned lucky to have in the first place. 

Things will change.  We just have to have the patience to see how it changes, and make our moves accordingly.  8)

What was no more, is REBORN!

I keep hearing requests to change the game, for various reasons, when in most cases, simply adjusting one's own play style will address most of the concerns I have seen.  You don't want to level so fast, turn off XP earning.  You don't like inherent Stamina, don't slot it, and it will be MUCH less a factor.  Don't like DFB, don't play it, and you can create a separate chat window to squelch all of the calls for DFB.  Don't like the naming policy?  Log in and move your characters around once in awhile.  Move them to new Day Job locations, and it makes it more worthwhile.  The one I really love is when folks complain about not being able to find a team for this, that, or the other thing.  The answer there is to put one together yourself.  There are a lot of people around, and if you put out a call, you will find folks who want to go along.  It's not that hard.

There are easy solutions to all of these issues that don't require the game to be changed to accommodate.  Let's not forget that it was just a little over a month ago, and there was NO game.  Now we have had it for a few weeks, and we are already dictating terms on how we will enjoy it more?  I think we really need to sit back, take stock of what we have been given (which is a second chance that nobody ever thought would happen), and appreciate what we've got. 

You want changes to the game?  Let's start thinking of things that actually require change, and are inclusive of the whole community, instead of those that would make it more the way we as individuals would like to see it.

And I have no reservations about people that do Power level (just missing out on some fun content IMHO), I freely admit to using DFB to get to my 20's (being an Altoholic repeating the same missions over and over can become tedious).

I get all these things handed to me where's the impetus for me to actually do anything in game?

I can open my Incarnate slot and get all the threads/shards/whatever I need just by doing RWZ until my eyes bleed. Why should I do anything else?

Without the adversity of mission, the game (for me, your mileage may vary) looses the sense of accomplishment.

and yes No one is talking about turning off XP. More of turning up the difficulty in gaining it.

There is nothing that needs to be to turned up. If you want it more difficult that is completely in your control.

No one is talking about turning off XP. More of turning up the difficulty in gaining it.

I vote no. Just because you can breeze through the game fast doesn't mean everyone else has to suffer. It's taken me 4 weeks to get to level 44 and the exp is coming in very slow for me right now. Don't make it worse on me or I'll get burned out. And that's the last thing you should want is people dropping off. I'm leveling at the same pace I did back in the day doing missions. There's no reason I should have to suffer just because your play style is faster than mine.

• Like 1

There is nothing that needs to be to turned up. If you want it more difficult that is completely in your control.

To wit:

PVmKqHe.png

I'm out.

I'd like to point out that the 'easy mode' players were always there, even in the live game.  Remember the AE players, the level 50s who didn't know you could leave Atlas Park? This complaint is a perennial one, because there will always be players who try to take shortcuts.  If you want to do missions, do missions.  I personally seek out every bit of content I can.  I have a solo alt just so I can read all the clues and make sure I don't miss any dialogue.  Anyone can do that.

As far as some of the other concerns, most of the freebies are giving the players back things they earned through years of play, so they don't have to start at the absolute bottom.  Do you really think it is fair to tell people that they can't have, say, the Sands of Mu power until they've been in this "might vanish at any moment" server for a year?  Because that's how you earned it in the non-easy mode game.

Why have an SG?  For a fun place to hang out with your friends.  The original SG design was a crazy plan to build a fortress to fend off attacks from other players.  They thought everyone wanted to be in Wow-style guilds.  Nobody - well, maybe a handful - wanted a fortress.  Most people wanted a personalized hangout and a place to stash their stuff.  We have that now.  It's great.  But if you want a big SG, you can make one. There are always people who want to be part of a group.

IMO, the game now is not so much about making you dance for treats, but is rather about letting you decide how you want to spend your time here. It doesn't need to give you an impetus, you decide why you want to play and create in your mind your own sense of accomplishment. Perhaps I good analogy is I could spend a weekend night playing poker with the guys, and the impetus is of course competition and trying to win some money. Or I could spend the day in the garage making something out of wood or doing some other craft. Unless I need to make, sell, or fix something, what is my impetus for spending the day in the garage? Well, just because I enjoy the making things.

Not having to be commercially viable, the game can just be the hobby that you create your own personal satisfaction out of. You have a great deal of choice in how you play and how difficult you want the game to be. There are many things to accomplish besides leveling and incarnate abilities. Don't get me wrong, it's completely understandable that some people want a game to force those challenges, that its not the same if you are creating your own to be overcome. However, I don't think that is what the game is now. For me, that's part of the appeal, as there are plenty of games that do lead you from challenge to challenge (my other "most-played" game does exactly that) so its nice to have one in which you can make your own path, you own challenges, and write your own story.

Maybe I'm unique in the game but I would far more like to earn my rewards than simply be handed them.

Some people(like me) prefer to get to 50 then go back and do lower level missions and Task Forces. It's fine if you want to do it a more traditional way. What's not fine is you asking for the game to be adjusted for everybody else so they have to play the way you want them to play.

The problem is you can't find people to actually do this missions with to achieve the rewards and for a lot of this content you NEED people.

Not true. Form your own teams. Whenever I want to do something specific I form the team and use the LFG channel and it has worked every single time without fail.

I think the points being made here have one thing in common.  You have the ability to make the game what you want, and how you want.  So, please take more time to appreciate that we have the game at all, and try to refrain from requesting game changes to accommodate your personal style of play, or preferences for such.  I know not everyone will be able to take that to heart, and will want things they way they want them, and will leave Homecoming for one of the other servers where they feel more represented.  That's going to happen, and there is nothing we can do about it. 

My hope going forward is that we continue to attract new players who will ask about how to make the game play to their style, and that more former players find out that we are here.  Somehow, the word had not gotten out to all of them yet, and I'd like to find a way to get them the word, and find their way here if they wish.

I see some people complaining about the playstyle of others, some even claiming it isn't the 'proper way to gain XP'. I would really like to know this:

Why should I be forced to 'grind the lore to 50'  when I do not like to do so? I might at some point want to grind the lore to 50 and at the moment I can make that choice, explain to me why that should be taken away just because you perceive it as a slight against you?

I prefer to get to 50, kit my build out, then enjoy the lore without having to repeat any section and be as optimised as I can be for each arc I play.

Are my characters AE PL'ed? No, sure I am making an (AE) PL build on a second account to multibox for my other farm builds I will eventually make for my main account but so far I have two  level 50 characters. The vast majority of the XP was gained in parties not running AE/DFB.

They both only repeated missions if the party he was in happened to do a mission they had already done and did DFB twice on my second character (first character was made before DFB became popular).

Took me three weeks for both, with a full-time job to get them to 50.

Didn't pay attention to the lore outside of cut-scenes, because I prefer enjoying the party I'm with at that time and I'd be too distracted for it anyway.

And to those who pose the question "Why should I grind X, when option Y allows me to skip it" please ask yourself: "Why is that even a question to me?" Because the answer should be self-evident and therefore make it a redundant question: "Because I like to grind X" and I would like to ask you: "Why does having an option bother me?"

You can grind

You can PL/farm

You can party, yes; at low pop times this can be a...grind if you're dead set on (not) doing something specific in a team. Don't blame others for you limiting yourself, sometimes you need some patience.

You can solo

How does shortening this list to only grinding and party play make the game more widely enjoyable?

Maybe I'm unique in the game but I would far more like to earn my rewards than simply be handed them.

Some people(like me) prefer to get to 50 then go back and do lower level missions and Task Forces. It's fine if you want to do it a more traditional way. What's not fine is you asking for the game to be adjusted for everybody else so they have to play the way you want them to play.

The problem is you can't find people to actually do this missions with to achieve the rewards and for a lot of this content you NEED people.

Not true. Form your own teams. Whenever I want to do something specific I form the team and use the LFG channel and it has worked every single time without fail.

Exactly. I also prefer to get to 50 and then go back. I hate slogging through the lower levels. People can level as slowly or as fast as they want. I don’t get these “but you should have to earn it people” trying to dictate how everyone else should play the same. It’s ridiculous. They have every right to turn off Xp or run certain missions if they so choose. Nobody is stopping them.

I also have zero problem finding teams. Every time I have advertised a non-DFB team it is filled within a couple minutes at most.

I see some people complaining about the playstyle of others, some even claiming it isn't the 'proper way to gain XP'. I would really like to know this:

Why should I be forced to 'grind the lore to 50'  when I do not like to do so? I might at some point want to grind the lore to 50 and at the moment I can make that choice, explain to me why that should be taken away just because you perceive it as a slight against you?

I prefer to get to 50, kit my build out, then enjoy the lore without having to repeat any section and be as optimised as I can be for each arc I play.

Are my characters AE PL'ed? No, sure I am making an (AE) PL build on a second account to multibox for my other farm builds I will eventually make for my main account but so far I have two  level 50 characters. The vast majority of the XP was gained in parties not running AE/DFB.

They both only repeated missions if the party he was in happened to do a mission they had already done and did DFB twice on my second character (first character was made before DFB became popular).

Took me three weeks for both, with a full-time job to get them to 50.

Didn't pay attention to the lore outside of cut-scenes, because I prefer enjoying the party I'm with at that time and I'd be too distracted for it anyway.

And to those who pose the question "Why should I grind X, when option Y allows me to skip it" please ask yourself: "Why is that even a question to me?" Because the answer should be self-evident and therefore make it a redundant question: "Because I like to grind X" and I would like to ask you: "Why does having an option bother me?"

You can grind

You can PL/farm

You can party, yes; at low pop times this can be a...grind if you're dead set on (not) doing something specific in a team. Don't blame others for you limiting yourself, sometimes you need some patience.

You can solo

How does shortening this list to only grinding and party play make the game more widely enjoyable?

Very well said.

will there be a switch from the current "easy mode" of game play to a more standard form of play experience?

Currently all one has to do to become a higher level in game is to play DFB or MSR until your eyes bleed and everything is opened automatically.

Where's the fun in that?

Great you get a shiny new 50 but you haven't actually DONE anything with them.

It's conceivable that a character could go from 1-50 without ever running a single mission.

There's no reason to actually do the Incarnate mission other than because you want to.

It's all just being handed to people.

If anything history proves that simply handing things to people has a negative effect on the life of the game.

The problem is you can't find people to actually do this missions with to achieve the rewards and for a lot of this content you NEED people. Turning down difficulties so you can solo it goes right back into "Easy Mode".

So am I just being crazy or do others feel like the current game is to easy?

Menu > Options >

hiyKYCB.png

mCqnmSE.png

the disable XP function does not disable incarnate xp.

It disables veteran levels, but you still get incarnate XP from all content.

231292c19dd204589dad10bc8f7460b30381cc06_small.gif.093417962b264ce2a68a88daec0bd8dc.gif

except we're rightfully bothered that the game has already been changed and a lot of people are unhappy with the changes.

homecoming says they've received "overwhelming support" despite never once to my knowledge putting out a poll or survey regarding the current changes between i24-i25. They're manufacturing a narrative.

231292c19dd204589dad10bc8f7460b30381cc06_small.gif.093417962b264ce2a68a88daec0bd8dc.gif

except we're rightfully bothered that the game has already been changed and a lot of people are unhappy with the changes.

homecoming says they've received "overwhelming support" despite never once to my knowledge putting out a poll or survey regarding the current changes between i24-i25. They're manufacturing a narrative.

It's my understanding there are people running a more vanilla i24 version of the game, or will be soon. If that option exists, then what exactly is the problem?

the disable XP function does not disable incarnate xp.

It disables veteran levels, but you still get incarnate XP from all content.

So what? It only took about 2-3 iTrials to unlock your slots anyway so just don't slot any abilities until you've run that many iTrials. Problem solved.

Defender Smash!

It's my understanding there are people running a more vanilla i24 version of the game, or will be soon. If that option exists, then what exactly is the problem?

Yeah, Munki, in fact, there's at least four other groups out there running i24 servers right now... I THINK that Homecoming is the ONLY one that's running i25 in fact. So, I don't see the problem. You don't like i25? Go elsewhere.

I'm out.

I think some of it is “voting with your wallet” idea.  They have more sign-ups than anyone else - surely that is a show of overwhelming support?  They raised $7G in 20 minutes...that’s overwhelming suppprt.  Does that mean no one wants changes?  Of course not, this thread and many others show that they do.  But the developers, who all work for free on this, are engaging.  I can be patient quite a while longer while they keep sorting things out.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

If you are bothered by the changes then why are you playing on Homecoming?  There are several other servers that don’t have as many changes, but I doubt those will remain unchanged for long.

Homecoming has a much higher population than any other servers by a huge margin. I think that speaks to some support for their version. I for one very much like the homecoming version.  Most people I have spoken with are overwhelmingly positive of homecoming and the changes.

If you don’t like it hop on one of the other servers.

There were almost 10,000 players on during the busier hours of the weekend, and the numbers keep growing.  Seems like folks are rightfully happy to see the game back, and available.  Figuring out when, and what changes will come to this implementation of the game will come eventually.  I feel pretty comfortable that the Homecoming Devs are being open with the player base, and listening to what they have to say. 

As someone who has played this game since the very beginning, I can't say I understand the objections to the I25 content, but I acknowledge folks right to feel that way, and encourage them to remember that there are servers that are running i24 content.  So, there is really no need to advocate for some regression, or changing the game to accommodate things that most don't find to be an issue. 

I believe the future is forward, rather than backward, but to each his own.

• Like 1

I am going to come off as a jackass but..

No you can't be "rightfully" bothered because that implies you have skin in the game or that they owe you something. Homecoming owes you (or any other player) nothing. They can do whatever they want. Like it or not, we are guests in their sandbox and they are in control. Frankly we shouldn't even be playing this game right now, but we are. Because a few people decided to put themselves on the line to provide it to the rest of us.

It's like attending your neighbor's public barbecue and demanding that they stop serving their current choice of beef patties for your specific brand of grass-fed patties. At their expense of course, not yours.

6 Weeks ago we didn't even have a server, and people said they'd be happy with table scraps. Now look at us. Bickering over petty things like XP gain and incarnate rewards. Just enjoy the damned game and be happy we have it at all.  Leave your entitlement at the login screen. This is not vanilla, nor was it every stated to be as such. If a person wants "vanilla" there are other servers out there for them.

Now I am not saying we shouldn't voice our opinion or provide suggestions etc. Homecoming has decided to listen to feedback to an extent, and I do think that is wise. But we really need to check the entitlement and stop trying to dictate how others play the game.

• Like 1

First off, thanks a lot for all the amazing work your team has put into making this dream become a reality.

My question is concerning powersets and having a further look at them. I will take Cold Domination as an example. If i take Cold Domination on a Defender I have the opportunity to select "Low Visual FX" for powers like Ice Shield and Glacial Shield. If I take Cold Domination on a Controller I don't have the "Low Visual FX" option for those powers available. Is this something you will be implementing at some point in the future or is there a reasoning behind this decision?

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work! :)

Would like to 2nd this request.  Masterminds also don't get the minimal fx option on cold domination.  Seems like it'd be an easy port? (I know programmers hate when people say this).

Would also like to see a minimal fx option added to other sets that currently don't have it. Radiation armor being a prime example.  I've heard people call it migraine inducing with all the flashing swirling graphics it has and I agree.  Unplayable set for me until, and if, it ever gets a minimal fx option.

Regardless though of course, just happy to be back and happy with what we get even now.  Keep up the great work!

Perhaps it's a good point to remain on topic with a synopsis?

Homecoming team is stupendous, by far exceeding any and all expectations

The game is back, we thank them profusely, and all love the version they have allowed us to enjoy

Farming is ok

AE is both liked and disliked

Players want to play their way, which is ok

No individual player desires should go contrary to the community good

Newbies deserve to be allowed to experience a game that will captivate them

Spam in communication channels that herds everyone to AE, DFB, PI PL'ing etc, is harmful

Xp gain is tailored to suit many situations, and works well

Now. Let's leave personal desired aside, and agree on solutions that keep up the greatness, without harming new player perception and experience, for one reason above all

Long term game viability.

Please everyone, focus on this.

Perhaps it's a good point to remain on topic with a synopsis?

Homecoming team is stupendous, by far exceeding any and all expectations

The game is back, we thank them profusely, and all love the version they have allowed us to enjoy

Farming is ok

AE is both liked and disliked

Players want to play their way, which is ok

No individual player desires should go contrary to the community good

Newbies deserve to be allowed to experience a game that will captivate them

Spam in communication channels that herds everyone to AE, DFB, PI PL'ing etc, is harmful

Xp gain is tailored to suit many situations, and works well

Now. Let's leave personal desired aside, and agree on solutions that keep up the greatness, without harming new player perception and experience, for one reason above all

Long term game viability.

Please everyone, focus on this.

+1

I'm out.