Could we possibly buff some invention sets so they give better enhancements?

Ragnarok 5 piece. Leave out the pure damage one and you have a sixth slot for endurance something or for another power. It's not like purples are cost prohibitive anymore. Isn't there a decent newer taoe as well? I'm on mobile so can't check.

As far as the OP some sets could definitely use some help, especially with endurance, but with two ato sets, the winter sets, overwhelming force and purple options available now it's much better than on live.

For one, there are a lot of sets which give bonus Endurance (both blue bar and recovery), Accuracy, and Recharge. Posi's Blast does NOT exist in a vacuum, and the whole idea is to slot for bonuses to make up for shortcomings. If all you're slotting is Posi's blast and then using regular SOs/IOs in the rest of your powers, well... I don't want to say you're doing it wrong, but, you could be doing it a LOT better. I mean heck, I'm sitting on a Controller build that has double the amount of standard recovery, near perma hasten and most of my attacks have over 2x accuracy BEFORE enhancements. So I can spam my Posi Blast-enhanced AoEs and they hit well, don't take any endurance, and they're up within seconds. So, I couldn't care less about the set's shortcomings. Not every single set has to be 100% bonus to everything.

Also, don't forget your incarnate Alpha slot, a portion of which ignores ED. If you want to make up for your sets's shortcomings, slot the right Alpha for the job.

For one, there are a lot of sets which give bonus Endurance (both blue bar and recovery), Accuracy, and Recharge. Posi's Blast does NOT exist in a vacuum, and the whole idea is to slot for bonuses to make up for shortcomings. If all you're slotting is Posi's blast and then using regular SOs/IOs in the rest of your powers, well... I don't want to say you're doing it wrong, but, you could be doing it a LOT better. I mean heck, I'm sitting on a Controller build that has double the amount of standard recovery, near perma hasten and most of my attacks have over 2x accuracy BEFORE enhancements. So I can spam my Posi Blast-enhanced AoEs and they hit well, don't take any endurance, and they're up within seconds. So, I couldn't care less about the set's shortcomings. Not every single set has to be 100% bonus to everything.

Also, don't forget your incarnate Alpha slot, a portion of which ignores ED. If you want to make up for your sets's shortcomings, slot the right Alpha for the job.

Set bonuses and alpha slots affect ALL powers. Yes, you can use them to make targeted AoEs with Positron's Blast more efficient, but at the same time they'll be giving the exact same benefit to all your other powers, ones with presumably much more effective enhancements, leaving the targeted AoEs still behind on enhancement.

A workaround is not  a solution but - your problem isn't a problem to everyone either. I have no issue whatsoever with the total enhancements in posi's. Identifying "weakness" in one set does not take into account the bonuses from other powers/sets. Your view is myopic in its' focus of the bonuses/enhancement values of just one set and doesn't take into account the bonuses etc from other sets. Place a decimation set in a single target attack - now you have more recharge and +end..in another single target place a Thunderstrike set and increase your accuracy. Sets are like powers - you have to make choices - whether that choice be the enhancement values or the bonuses - not every set should be optimal or give optimal bonuses.

solution: five-slot posi's blast for the 6.25% recharge and stick an end/rech in from another set

A: There are no End/Rech IOs in the Targeted AoE sets

B: That still would still be rather weak Recharge

C: A workaround is not a solution

A workaround is not  a solution but - your problem isn't a problem to everyone either. I have no issue whatsoever with the total enhancements in posi's. Identifying "weakness" in one set does not take into account the bonuses from other powers/sets. Your view is myopic in its' focus of the bonuses/enhancement values of just one set and doesn't take into account the bonuses etc from other sets. Place a decimation set in a single target attack - now you have more recharge and +end..in another single target place a Thunderstrike set and increase your accuracy. Sets are like powers - you have to make choices - whether that choice be the enhancement values or the bonuses - not every set should be optimal or give optimal bonuses.

Yes, sets are like powers; we expect certain things of them. A melee damage power set is expected to allow you to deal a certain amount of damage, for example. When that melee damage set does not provide that for you, it's typical to hope for a change so that it does. An IO set is expected to give a good spread of enhancements to the important aspects of a power if you fully invest in it, and Positron's Blast does not do that.

Another way sets are like powers is that external ways of shoring up their shortcomings are irrelevant when discussing those shortcomings; if an armor set doesn't offer good Smash/Lethal resistance, the fact that you can take Tough does not mean that's no longer a concern, because every set can take Tough for better Smash/Lethal resistance, even the ones that do offer good S/L resist to begin with. Likewise, the fact that you can get good global recharge or frankenslot to make up for Positron's Blast's lackluster recharge enhancement, does not mean that that shortcoming is acceptable.

Furthermore, Positron's Blast is pretty much the only targeted AoE set with good set bonuses outside of unique, expensive sets, which means unless you're willing to grind or pay a huge premium, you're stuck with it.

Okay, so let's say there's a new Targeted AOE set introduced. What enhancements and bonuses would make it desirable without making it too good?

Well Obliteration in PBAoE gives accuracy, recharge, and melee defense, and still has good enhancement values. If there was something in targeted AoE that was equivalent to Obliteration in PBAoE, that would be amazing.

Okay, going by ParagonWiki https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Obliteration

Obliteration: Damage

Obliteration: Accuracy/Recharge

Obliteration: Damage/Recharge

Obliteration: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

Obliteration: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge/Endurance

Obliteration: Chance for Smashing Damage

Two enhancements reduces the duration of Stun effects on you by 2.2%.

Three enhancements improves the Damage of all your powers by 3%.

Four enhancements improves the Accuracy of all your powers by 9%.

Five enhancements improves the Recharge of all your powers by 5%.

Six enhancements increases Melee Defense by 3.75%.

Six enhancements increases Smashing and Lethal Defense by 1.875%.

Obviously making an exact clone in a different power category is... boring, at least. What would you change to make it a new Targeted AOE worth slotting?

Obviously making an exact clone in a different power category is... boring, at least. What would you change to make it a new Targeted AOE worth slotting?

I think it's fine the way it is, honestly. Most people don't like it because they five-slot it for the 6.25% rech and miss out on the proc, which is supposed to help make up for the lack of direct enhancement.

Maybe trade some of the excess damage for end reduction?

Honestly, it would be pretty good if it was exactly the same, but if I had to change it, I guess I'd go with:

Damage becomes Accuracy/Damage

Accuracy/Recharge becomes Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Proc becomes some other damage type. Cold I guess, that would be pretty unique.

3-slot set bonus (3% damage) becomes 7.5% Range

5-slot set bonus (5% recharge) becomes 6.25% recharge

6-slot set bonus (3.75% Melee/1.88% Smash/Lethal Defense) becomes 2.5% AoE/1.25% Fire/Cold Defense

Also, do you have any name suggestions? Name guides the art. I'm using the thesaurus no other Targeted AOE names (Detonation, Ragnarok, Volley) and coming up with things like Extinction, Cannnonade, Bombardment, and I don't like any of them. If the proc is going to be Cold, maybe something cold related? Hmm.

Also, do you have any name suggestions? Name guides the art. I'm using the thesaurus no other Targeted AOE names (Detonation, Ragnarok, Volley) and coming up with things like Extinction, Cannnonade, Bombardment, and I don't like any of them. If the proc is going to be Cold, maybe something cold related? Hmm.

Bombardment actually sounds good to me. Saturation Fire maybe? Or what about Scorched Earth? Erasure, or Extermination could work.

But I do like

There is an existing cold-themed attuned targeted AoE set, "Frozen Blast." There is no purple targeted AoE set, however.  All of the existing purple sets are named after a term for a major disaster or mythological event.  These are usually fire-themed, but there are a number flood- or ice- related apocalyptic mythologies, or ambiguous "darkness" ones.  Some thematically associated terms include "Gehenna," "Sheol," "Deluge," "Cataclysm," and "Kaliyuga."

Some cold-themed two-word names in line with the existing Cold-themed Attuned sets include "Ice ribbon," "Frost Blossom," or "Harsh Snowburst."

FWIW, I also like "Bombardment" as a (non-purple) set name.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

I think there are lots of rubbish invention sets, especially the ones that remain at low level (e.g. max is level 30). The desirable ones are really obvious, I'd like to see more desirable one so that everybody didn't pile into the same stuff, and this would allow more different AND VARIED builds.

I don't think it's a massive priority but it'd be "nice" to have them improved.

Example : There is only one enhancement that changes knockback to knockdown. The recipe costs 20 million (presumably it'd be less if there were more sets with the same enhancement), but the point is that the other enhancement recipes in that set cost 2000. It's hilarious :D

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

I'd like to see more desirable one so that everybody didn't pile into the same stuff, and this would allow more different AND VARIED builds.

But everyone who plays this game already has a 100% different build. How more "AND VARIED" can you get?

I'd like to see more desirable one so that everybody didn't pile into the same stuff, and this would allow more different AND VARIED builds.

But everyone who plays this game already has a 100% different build. How more "AND VARIED" can you get?

That's a fair comment.

Let's look at an example, though: It's generally regarded as "good" if an energy blaster (knockbacks galore) slots the knockback to knockup enhancement.

So clearly there are some enhancements that are, "desirable". I would simply like more to be desirable and if possible give people a dilemma when choosing. The notion behind this being that players should definitely be powerful, but have choices.

CoH was always about loads of freedom and options, why not extend that philosophy into enhancements?

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

That's a fair comment.

Let's look at an example, though: It's generally regarded as "good" if an energy blaster (knockbacks galore) slots the knockback to knockup enhancement.

So clearly there are some enhancements that are, "desirable". I would simply like more to be desirable and if possible give people a dilemma when choosing. The notion behind this being that players should definitely be powerful, but have choices.

CoH was always about loads of freedom and options, why not extend that philosophy into enhancements?

there are some things that are so good that you should have them, yes. for example, pool powers for optimized builds are usually "travel power, hasten, leadership, fighting" or some minor variation

but otherwise there is a huge amount of flexibility in how you slot, and what powers you pick. nobody's going to force you to slot the knockdown enhancements, but it's a really good idea to do so, just as it's a really good idea to stick an Achilles Heel proc in every -def power

this isn't really WoW where you must have this build or nobody will bring you to raids. don't worry about being able to do what you want