Optimal Screenshots Advice?

AzureAngel

Hello 😃

I'm trying to take better screen shots of my toons. Specifically, I'm wondering what the best way is to take full body "photos" of my toon without losing too much resolution. Currently my strategy is to rotate the camera around and play with the zoom. Usually I'm only able to zoom in on the toon from the waist up, or else I have to zoom out very far in order to capture a full body shot. For example:

fXauMIA.jpg

BbKKvyh.jpg

Is there any way to detach the camera so that it can be positioned better? Or is there a better method for getting full body toon screenshots?

Thank you for your help!

4 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Consider creating a second account and use a toon on the second account to 'photograph' the toon on the first account?

You could build a photographer toon with different costume slots at different sizesto be able to control the height of the 'camera'

This. this is how I get mine

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

2 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Consider creating a second account and use a toon on the second account to 'photograph' the toon on the first account?

You could build a photographer toon with different costume slots at different sizesto be able to control the height of the 'camera'

Interesting idea, thanks. I might have to borrow a friend's computer for that, though.

Along those lines, I wonder if using AE might be another option. 🤔

• Lead Game Master
1 hour ago, AzureAngel said:

Interesting idea, thanks. I might have to borrow a friend's computer for that, though.

Along those lines, I wonder if using AE might be another option. 🤔

CoH can be "multiboxed" on a single computer fairly easily, unless it's a total potato or is more than a decade old. You may lose some FPS if both instances are running at max detail, but if you're just taking pictures, you should be fine. If need be, you can lower the settings on your main account to reduce load, since you'll be flying around with your "camera" where you'll need the resources most.

I believe Tequilla has the ability to run multiple instances of CoH by default. For HC Launcher, you'll have to go into options and check a box. Then, just hit the "Play" button twice, and you're good to go! (but again, you WILL need 2 accounts)

• Thanks 1

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

2 hours ago, Kallisti said:

(each one stores a different username

This is why I installed different instances of the HC launcher in 2 folders, rather than use the Multiple Instances option.  Call me lazy, but I prefer not having to endlessly replace the user name.

• Like 1

Original CoH player [2004-2012]; Freedom Server

Ah the eternal struggle of how to take a better selfie.

You can also try rotating the camera and putting your back to various angled walls to move the camera.

Using a friend or second account is probably your easiest way to get more control of your images though.

From there the complexity/difficulty scales up quite a bit and honestly your images are quite good

as is depending on what you want the pics for (artists reference for example).

Also heya @AzureAngel  and welcome to the best part of the forums. zb7XgP0P_o.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

On 12/17/2020 at 7:49 PM, Kallisti said:

Genius.  Now I have yet another alt...

EG6uqUa.jpg

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, DJ1 said:

These are so clean. Photoshop?

• Like 1

A couple of things I routinely use:

• Make use of emotes to catch your character in mid-action
  • During costume editing you can activate your powers, so that's a good way to catch your character using a power if you don't mind a non-in game background.
  • For in game power usage, be ready to grab the screenshot. Had a fantastic image from original release (two computers ago) of my  character doing a Thunderous Blast where the Fifth Column seemed to be shrinking away from her that I caught. Probably tried capturing it a half dozen times before I got the perfect shot.
  • Jumping and falling can get you nice poses. In the case of falling you may want to do it from high up to avoid xp debt.
  • Full screenshots are the resolution of your monitor and you may be interested in a smaller section. Crop to what you want to show using an image editor. Often there is enough detail left.

An example of capturing a shot using a power while in the costume editor:

E1icy03.png

This one is a slight cheat as I removed most of the buttons near the character's feet.  The Rotate (left and right) and Brighten buttons were easy--just clip a section of the image from the same height and overlay over the buttons to get rid of them. Load and Zoom buttons took a bit more effort, which I can go into if you're inclined to do minor surgery for a clutter free screenshot. The Darken button would have only been a bit more involved and was left in to indicate what was removed (and because I'm lazy and thinking about dinner).

Edited by Erratic1

Trying to get a good in-flight pose can be difficult as some aspects of rotating the camera can affect your direction and you always get a horizontal look at yourself... but if you're following (isomg F to follow) someone else in flight, then you can rotate your camera angle a full 360 degrees while still moving straight ahead along the leader's flight path.