Brother, can you spare a billion?

Troyusrex

I used to be a well-to-do merchant, trading in enhancements and salvage. I made a nice living and enjoyed the finer things in life, like full purple IO sets for all my alts. Life was good.

But then I fell upon hard times. I got involved with Winter Super Packs. I told myself it was just because they were 60% off. At first, it was just a few, but I found myself buying more and more. It became an obsession. I not only emptied all my alts, but I cashed in all my Reward Merits just to get a few more super packs... Then I would sell the Winter IOs and buy yet more packs... Each sale at a small loss, but it adds up over time. So, now I've bought and opened thousands, maybe tens of thousands of packs, and I have trouble scrounging up enough influence for market fees when I put Winter IOs up for sale.

Of course, I now have a few gazillion candy canes and snow beasts, so it isn't a total loss... 

On 1/8/2021 at 10:34 PM, Ukase said:

What I can't tell is if the OP is bragging or complaining or admitting they have a problem. 

Mostly admitting I had a problem. Certainly not bragging or complaining. I just couldn't stop and spent everything I could muster (which was a few years trading profits). But, it was all also tongue in cheek. Not only is it just a game, I could go back to converting IOs and remake the money.

Oddly, the compulsion is now gone as packs aren't on sale anymore. Once prices start to inch back up on Winter IOs I might still break even but it's going to take a long time to unload the thousands I have (not to mention the converters!) 

Edited by Troyusrex

I almost stepped in that water. I restrained myself, mainly because I thought "Does it make sense to invest X to make X.5 to 3X when the X that I have is enough to last me ......at least 200 alts if I made no further influence. I do like the Experienced/Buff Amplifiers and the merits are great for making converters. So, I bought my fair share. But only for use, not really for profit. 

• 3 weeks later
On 1/1/2021 at 3:41 PM, Troyusrex said:

I used to be a well-to-do merchant, trading in enhancements and salvage. I made a nice living and enjoyed the finer things in life, like full purple IO sets for all my alts. Life was good.

But then you took an arrow to the knee?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 2 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later