Best AT for a Tripminer?

Sailboat

Back in the day I really got some jollies out of piling up Trip Mines and luring foes to an explodey surprise party.

I have no illusions that Trip Mines are good for fast clears, just want to have fun.  But what AT to get the most out of Trip Mines?

I've never tried it but there's a thread about Illusion/Traps that caught my eye.  Character all but draws no aggro, just moves about placing their traps (Tripmine, PT, Acid Mortar, etc.) while under SI, while PA and Phantom blast away.  

Edit:  It's by VV and entitled "Ill/Traps What Combat"

Edited by Doomguide2005

Fire/Traps blaster with the teleport pool. Take the flame mastery pool for Bonfire with a knockback to knockdown converter in it. 

Make your mine pile, start your bonfire, use Fold Space to schwoomph everyone in then start rain of fire and light em up like a mobile disco. You can hang around in middle of it all, muttering about the cost of your gas bill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

4 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

Fire/Traps blaster with the teleport pool. Take the flame mastery pool for Bonfire with a knockback to knockdown converter in it. 

Make your mine pile, start your bonfire, use Fold Space to schwoomph everyone in then start rain of fire and light em up like a mobile disco. You can hang around in middle of it all, muttering about the cost of your gas bill.

I think the big takeaway here isn't Fire per se but Fold Space (plus pretty much any knock power proc'd as needed to convert to kd).  You could do similar with Gravity and WH.  You get your pile of tripmines and other trap fun built up then move a chunk of foes on top of it all.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  Looking at the character creator, I see that while Blaster tripmines do not have the interrupt, they have a longer recharge:

Blaster:

Activation: 2.77 seconds

No interrupt

Recharge: 30 s

Defender, Corrupter, Controller:

Activation: 5 seconds

Interrupt: 4 s

Recharge: 20 s

If I'm piling up tripmines, wouldn't the 20 second recharge help more? 

Edited by Sailboat

No, the activation times will be the more constraining part of set up and are a wash vs. recharge times at high recharge.

Due to no interrupt, IMO Blaster has the best Mines, but Illusion can get away with it too despite interrupt, since they really draw little aggro. 

Either Illusion controller or Devices Blaster is my recommendation.

Source: has T3 +3 incarnated Ill/Traps controller and Beam/Dev blaster.

Edited by Force Redux

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

• 2 weeks later
10 hours ago, Sailboat said:

All right, Blaster looks good.  I was starting to make one and got hung up on primary choices.  Considered in terms of pairing with Trip mines, is there any reason to recommend one over another?  Sonic for -resist?  Ice for slows?

I like Dual Pistols thematically, and its use of incendiary ammo rather than a build up works well with Devices.

(playing with a build...)
B'g Bad'da'boom - Blaster (Dual Pistols).mxd

Edited by Zepp

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

I do have a low-level Sonic Devices blaster that I haven't quite advanced on (too many alts, too little time). Attaching the build.HK F33 405.mxd

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation