Worth proccing out a Blaster?

Dz131

It probably lands in an "it depends" area. It depends on the set, what procs are available, and what you need for survivability and recharge.

Fire blast is probably the least necessary for procs given its high base damage, but you can still sprinkle in procs whenever possible (5 piece ST set, then pvp proc for example). 

Target AoEs can probably offer the best of both worlds. Positron Blast and Bombardment offer 5 piece recharge and a proc, so you could go 2 procs in the power while still getting bonuses you want.

• Like 5

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I find blaster builds tend to be much tighter then other DPS AT builds.  An awful lot of those +def bonuses from attack sets need all 6 enhancements.  So unless you're willing to give up a lot of self-survival and go full DPS (I wouldn't recommend that), you probably won't have room to frankenslot your powers for both procs and damage.  

• Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

As stated above, you basically have to pick between procs and survivability. There is a fun factor too, though. I had a blast playing with my proc monster Ice/TA build. I had piles of purples and break frees ready in the auction house at all times to cover my defenses. It was worth it IMO, especially when you see those huge chunks of orange numbers and being able to two-shot +4 bosses. It's basically a PVP build for PVE.

"It depends" is a good answer. The only places I look to include %procs on Blasters are:

• when the %damage is part of a set I want to use anyway
  • if the 6-piece set bonus isn't really that great (compared to a 5-piece set bonus), I will add another %proc (but only to AoE and Snipes)
  • if the power (typically secondary) has some secondary effect in addition to damage that suggests franken-slotting (e.g.  Life Drain from /Time)

I will also typically forgo any sort of set bonus for cone attacks, but this depends on what other bonuses you are getting from other powers. For example, with Dark/, I like to franken-slot the Umbral Torrent T2 attack to boost Range/Acc/Damage with 2 slots of HO and Overwhelming Force KD, and then add 3 %damage procs. Boosting the range of cones improves the number of potential targets, and more targets means more potential %proc damage.

To be clear: I typically don't try to add %procs to single-target attacks because usually the set I've chosen to slot is providing enough recharge that it is seriously hurting the %proc chances in that power... and it is rare that I consider the chance of maybe doing some more damage (via a %proc) to a single target to be more valuable than investing that extra slot in some other power.

Edited by tidge
  • Like 1

allways depends i put them on scrappers tankers blasters domi any AT really but not if my defenses are not sorted and that is independant of AT as for my current fire/elec i started slotting them when both S&L and ranged def hit around 44% and i felt safe doing so

the things you die to anyway wont be things you can fix like having no DDR or getting mezzed the latter which requires p2win or 3 power choices so is rather out of the question to me i could spare maybe 1 in an average build

Mine is proc'd out.  But as others have mentioned, it depends on what you are building for.  I built for damage, so my procs tend to be focused on survivability (since I don't take "survival" pool powers like tough, weave, etc.).  To fill in that survival blank, I use procs to make sure I can always move away from danger and can always use all my powers.  Therefore, I proc for resistance and defense (in addition to the "normal" end/recharge/acc procs).

I keep thinking about a second "survivable" build, but I never do anything with it because my main is already pretty durable.  Blasters die when they can't move and when they can't drop their nuke/most killer powers.  Proc'ing to ensure I can always get out of harm's way and can always fire off my most devastating powers means that I am killing stuff before I have to worry about duck/weave/etc. kicking in.  This doesn't mean she never dies, of course, but she's pretty resilient with the procs and some of the set bonuses (geared toward damage in my build) that she gains incidentally.

I'm impressed that you proc out all your toons!  I only do that with my main, though I guess I am kind of moving that way on another toon I really like.  It just takes so much time/energy/infl to build a beast that I don't bother except on the one I play the most.

Ice/Sonic, lots of powers to slot procs.  Down side is its single target, but so many hold powers and slow effects you got quite a few options for procs to fit in.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

• 3 weeks later
On 3/18/2021 at 8:38 PM, Tahliah said:

Mine is proc'd out.  But as others have mentioned, it depends on what you are building for.  I built for damage, so my procs tend to be focused on survivability (since I don't take "survival" pool powers like tough, weave, etc.).  To fill in that survival blank, I use procs to make sure I can always move away from danger and can always use all my powers.  Therefore, I proc for resistance and defense (in addition to the "normal" end/recharge/acc procs).

I keep thinking about a second "survivable" build, but I never do anything with it because my main is already pretty durable.  Blasters die when they can't move and when they can't drop their nuke/most killer powers.  Proc'ing to ensure I can always get out of harm's way and can always fire off my most devastating powers means that I am killing stuff before I have to worry about duck/weave/etc. kicking in.  This doesn't mean she never dies, of course, but she's pretty resilient with the procs and some of the set bonuses (geared toward damage in my build) that she gains incidentally.

I'm impressed that you proc out all your toons!  I only do that with my main, though I guess I am kind of moving that way on another toon I really like.  It just takes so much time/energy/infl to build a beast that I don't bother except on the one I play the most.

I've been leveling my Ice/Ice and I like the uniqueness of the combo. Any chance I could take a sneak peek at your build?

Warning: This post may contain an opinion.

9 hours ago, Falsey said:

I've been leveling my Ice/Ice and I like the uniqueness of the combo. Any chance I could take a sneak peek at your build?

I haven't delved into mids this time around.  Yet.  I will at some point, but I am still enjoying being back! 

You're like the tenth person to ask, though, so I am seriously thinking about plugging it in just to show people how to build a survivable blaster that's not "built" for survivability (in traditional terms).  Part of it, though, is play style, since I know that my ice/ice blaster is not built to withstand most damage, I move/kite a lot, and build to ensure that I can always move (focus on resist procs against holds, sleeps, etc.). Anyway, thanks for the interest!  🙂

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2021 at 4:31 AM, Tahliah said:

I haven't delved into mids this time around.  Yet.  I will at some point, but I am still enjoying being back! 

You're like the tenth person to ask, though, so I am seriously thinking about plugging it in just to show people how to build a survivable blaster that's not "built" for survivability (in traditional terms).  Part of it, though, is play style, since I know that my ice/ice blaster is not built to withstand most damage, I move/kite a lot, and build to ensure that I can always move (focus on resist procs against holds, sleeps, etc.). Anyway, thanks for the interest!  🙂

If you're looking to get your ingame build into Mids easily : 

• Ingame do /buildsave
  • This will create a file called build.txt in your CoH installation folder (mine is in coh\accounts\carnifax\Builds)
  • In Mids do File > Open and open that build.txt file
  • Your live build will pop into Mids, ready to be exported

Words of warning :

• Most of your toggles will be off in Mids initially, so don't think your totals are way off. Just switch on the Mids toggles. 
  • Some enhancements might not show up in the build and show an error. Artillary was one set I reported to the Mids team and some SOs will also bug out. You'll just need to manually reinsert those IOs / IO Set. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1