Discussion: Improvements to the Warriors

Piecemeal

I ran some experiments back on Cryptic, and found that staff moves lent themselves well with sword weapons. Paired with, say, a rapier, it looks very swashbuckling. So I'd suggest experimenting with all the different weapon sets, see if titan weapon might go well with an axe, for example.

Also, the Warriors tend to be weak control-side. We already have a lot of Greco-Roman mythology in the game. Might not the Warriors summon some harpies, sirens, and gorgons to cover that weakness?

• 3 weeks later
  • Developer
On 2/25/2024 at 11:11 PM, Colette Valiant said:

I ran some experiments back on Cryptic, and found that staff moves lent themselves well with sword weapons. Paired with, say, a rapier, it looks very swashbuckling. So I'd suggest experimenting with all the different weapon sets, see if titan weapon might go well with an axe, for example.

Also, the Warriors tend to be weak control-side. We already have a lot of Greco-Roman mythology in the game. Might not the Warriors summon some harpies, sirens, and gorgons to cover that weakness?

The Warriors as implemented in the game will be staying as a beat-down human-male-only club of smugglers.

The future, however, looks grim for them. They're over-extending their reach.

People tend to notice that.

*grin*

• Like 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

hc_sig copy.jpg

There comes a time in which all stories must come to an end. It's a shame, hero, that you and your people aren't writing the end of yours. We've taken it upon ourselves to be the author of this universe's story, and your chapter will be added to the ever-growing story of how we dictated the path for all life.

Oooh are we going to see that Warriors feedback thread from a couple years back coming to an issue or page soon (TM) ?

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

On 3/14/2024 at 7:13 PM, The Caretaker said:

The Warriors as implemented in the game will be staying as a beat-down human-male-only club of smugglers.

The future, however, looks grim for them. They're over-extending their reach.

People tend to notice that.

*grin*

Oh thank God, I can see the Warriors filling the street crime/noir gap in later levels, and I’d hate to squander that potential. I genuinely don’t care either way if you chose to give them guns or lasers, Really I just draw the line at robots and monsters. I’d really like to be able to choose to fight human beings in normal clothes wielding human weapons doing normal crimes at higher levels than I currently can and I’d really hope any updates to The Warriors would serve that need.

Edited by Premmy

Will we get a clash with another gang, and a big dance number?

"When you're a Warrior, you're a Warrior all the way..."

(Gotta subvert that "Waaaaaariors! Come out to plaaaa-aaay!" expectation.)

• Like 1

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

• Developer
3 hours ago, sbloyd said:

I don't wanna confirm and give out false hope, but minus the dance number, a few words in your post are correct.

• Thanks 1

hc_sig copy.jpg

There comes a time in which all stories must come to an end. It's a shame, hero, that you and your people aren't writing the end of yours. We've taken it upon ourselves to be the author of this universe's story, and your chapter will be added to the ever-growing story of how we dictated the path for all life.

• Lead Game Master
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sbloyd said:

What do you think this is, some kind of west-side story?

=P

Edited by GM Impervium
  • Like 1

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

8 hours ago, GM Impervium said:

=P

That would be "okay by me in America".

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

9 hours ago, GM Impervium said:

=P

Of course not!

Talos Island is in the *east*.

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

• Developer

Before anyone jumps on me, by the way, the Boys-Only club thing is going to be addressed. Just not with the Warriors in their current and near-future iteration.

hc_sig copy.jpg

On 3/19/2024 at 5:32 PM, The Caretaker said:

Before anyone jumps on me, by the way, the Boys-Only club thing is going to be addressed. Just not with the Warriors in their current and near-future iteration.

Why?

And before you say that it's bad/wrong/whatever I'd like to point out two things:

1) The Warriors are a villain group, villains do bad things.

2) The Warriors have modeled themselves on warriors from history and historically only men were warriors.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

On 3/21/2024 at 11:17 AM, PeregrineFalcon said:

Why?

And before you say that it's bad/wrong/whatever I'd like to point out two things:

2) The Warriors have modeled themselves on warriors from history and historically only men were warriors.

they have modeled themselves on greek/roman folklore (heracles, odysseus, orion), which could include the Amazons

or alternatively, the Sarmatian women warriors

also it's a video game where superheroes are empowered by a big well that's a god

• Thumbs Up 1

@Twi - Phobia on Everlasting

On 3/23/2024 at 3:53 AM, Indystruck said:

they have modeled themselves on greek/roman folklore (heracles, odysseus, orion), which could include the Amazons

Amazons stem from Greeks being unable to comprehend women being allowed to fight alongside men in the Scythian Steppe Riders who inspired them that they invented a society of all-women and warriors.

On 3/21/2024 at 9:17 AM, PeregrineFalcon said:

And then there's this, Look, if you want the costume parts, that's one thing and is reasonable, but if you want evil muscle women, we have the Talons of Vengeance, Knives of Artemis, Arachnos, Tsoo, Cimeroran Traitors*, Skulls, Crey, and presumably the Rikti, Fir Bolg, and Tuatha De Dannan. And if we look into groups who should also have muscle women in them there would be Freakshow, Malta (okay, not sure how buff their women would be compared to KoA), Hellions (not sure GFFHs count in the muscle department). Lost, Dockworkers, Rogue Isle Police. So why wouldn't there be at least a few villain groups who are not politically correct? As it is, the fact that many villain groups in the game are depicted as heavily cosmopolitan and from various minority backgrounds while many major hero groups are made up heavily of males (Wyvern, Legacy Chain, Paragon Police Department) and/or white (Freedom Phalanx and Vindicators) makes blueside look less like 'City of Heroes' and more like 'City of the MAGA'.

TL;DR: I want to punch sexist assholes as a hero too.

*interesting thing to notice: there are female Cimeroran Traitor Centurions, but no female soldiers in Imperious' loyalists. This suggests Romulus' willingness to recruit anyone and that Imperious, despite ostensibly being a 'good guy' is still a largely conservative values of ancient Romans.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

Amazons stem from Greeks being unable to comprehend women being allowed to fight alongside men in the Scythian Steppe Riders who inspired them that they invented a society of all-women and warriors.

On 3/23/2024 at 5:53 AM, Indystruck said:

or alternatively, the Sarmatian women warriors

yeah I made sure to throw in a real world equivalent too that they could've transposed from, it was just a line below that.

6 hours ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

and/or white (Freedom Phalanx and Vindicators)

(Aurora Borealis is a Vindicator, Back Alley Brawler and Penny Yin are on the Phalanx)

Edited by Indystruck

@Twi - Phobia on Everlasting

On 3/18/2024 at 9:17 PM, GM Impervium said:

=P

Hey now, don't you threaten me with a good time!

Fools!  We Will Destroy You All!

Would You Like To Know More? [YES] [NO]

- Aeon University Online

Markus Magnum - Praetorian DP/MA Blaster

11 hours ago, Indystruck said:

(Aurora Borealis is a Vindicator, Back Alley Brawler and Penny Yin are on the Phalanx)

BAB is, despite all his valiant service and supposedly at his own request, not a full Phalanx member. Yin, though she has replaced Sister Psyche's TF, technically doesn't become a FP member until post Signature Story Arc 1 which came late into the game's live life. And technically never reached fully implementation as I recall as it was still in Beta Server?

Yall, female Warriors have been in the lore since at least 2007. Because I specifically wrote a character interview with the goal of getting them included, back when Cryptic asked for player submissions to the Warriors backgrounder: 
https://web.archive.org/web/20070912123954/http://www.cityofheroes.com/gameinfo/villain_groups_warriors2.html (look for "Rove")

(Sure, it's pretty cringe now, but the Warriors are pretty cringe, and I think they should stay that way. Please never abandon the action-hero-already-thirty-years-out-of-date aesthetic; it only becomes more endearing with time.)

I guess it's too late to make suggestions for how they should look, but anyway here's my gal. She kept her Warriors look after she split, or really she fell in with them in the first place because that was always her vibe anyway (though of course she isn't wearing the red headband any more). I used some chunky tech parts out of a need to beef her up beyond the pitiful maximum mass permitted by the "female" player model, so the concept is that she made armour from the pieces of her beloved motorbike when it got wrecked. In general I wouldn't want the Warriors to lean heavily into the Greco/Roman costume parts—they're punks who think a teenage airbrushed-on-a-van version of Greek myth is totally sick, not historical cosplayers—but I would make an exception for this centurion chest, since it's one of the only ways for women to look like they have any kind of muscle definition.

Rove-Homecoming-3.thumb.jpg.925dad0c78ceb3bf96d8026225dcee08.jpg

Rove-Homecoming-2.jpg

Rove-Homecoming-1.jpg

Edited by Fox Lee
I obsess about typos
  • Like 4

Fox Lee, the Art Gremblin

https://www.invincible.ink

@[email protected]

• 4 weeks later