Changes to Apex Task Force

Zeraphia

I find I run this Task Force quite a lot, and while I overall feel it has far more positives to offer, there are some major negatives IMO that I feel could be addressed:

1. I think the level shift bug (whoever enters the missions too fast gets like -5 levels... even if they have alpha slotted + shifted) should be addressed/patched. This has been going on since the creation of this Task Force. Now technically, you can always go out and come back in, yes, however I think it should still be addressed. If the bug ends up not being able to be fixed, that would be fine with me, I'd just like a word on it.

2. Honestly, the invisible massive damage toxic auras from the Hydra Tentacles are bad game design, designed to punish melee players for even existing in the game. At the time during CoH freedom's launch, melee ATs were overpowered, so I get it. However, that's just not the case anymore, I feel melee are average/possibly in the worst spot overall. I think discouraging them from using their powers otherwise they will get pummeled by extreme DoT toxic damage with on average longer power animations just isn't a lot of fun. I think that this should be removed as a concept, and the Hydra Tentacles should provide a greater challenge to all parties on a team, in the way of boosting their primary attacks to be quite meaty.

3. I wish the War Walkers landed close to team members especially on the "final invasion" part. I feel that if they can track your location with their Orbital Lance, they may as well be able to track where you and your team is and land with close proximity, and not have some War Walkers across the map where no one is causing the TF to take longer. 

In regards to one, I haven't seen the level shift bug since Issue 27 launched in late November, and I run Tinpex at least a couple of times per week.  I assumed that the bug had been fixed.  Interesting.  In any case, you don't have to leave the mission to fix it.  Use the Walk power.  Yes, the Walk power.  You'll have to re-toggle everything, but you won't have to leave the mission.

I run and participate in APEX and TIN MAGE almost daily, and the bug is still there as of yesterday.

With regards to the "wimpy" melee, I disagree, try being a support class! There is a reason they are called "squoshies". Must of the content challenge is primarily done at the expense of the "squoshies" such as the spamming of status effect which they have no protections against is an example of such challenge. So from my perspective it is refreshing to come across content that focuses in giving Melee a challenge, for a change. Now in your particular case, this is a level 50 trial, thus at first, it will bite hard, but once you get your Destiny Barrier, you will find that the toxic damage is not that bad. Also if there is a tanker, it is very wise, to simply wait till the tanker accrues aggroe and keeps the hydra vomit off from you, this can make a huge difference.

The war walker comment, I find myself indifferent, fight one, and the other comes to you anyway; they do not just sit there waiting for you to come at them.

• Like 1

Regarding the level shift bug, yes it's there I was set as -3 on my Shield/Stone tank and didn't notice until at the Warwalker part of the invasion (so now I added level shift to my combat monitoring), not that I died, so I could do more damage. That said, if the bug effects you, you can always toggle walk on and off to reset your level shift too, the drawback this way is you have to retoggle everything.

3 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

I feel melee are average/possibly in the worst spot overall.

Definitely false. Melee is still the way to go for a tremendously easy gaming experience, even if the gap has been closed a tad bit over time.

I'd have to disagree with getting rid of the aura. It's a big help when I'm soloing the TF on my Mind Controller; confuse ftw!

The rest of this has the same energy as people who don't like the patches, because it forces them to move. Instead of taking 3 seconds to move to your opponent's landing spot, you want to stand still and have him land on top of you. I mean heck, the Warwalkers spawn in Ambush mode, so they're likely to follow you around anyway, but no, that's too slow.

That being said, it probably would be a more significant challenge if they came right down at you, so I'm actually ok with the suggestion!

• Haha 1

Other than the bug, who still exists and is a pain, yes (we can't leave Tin Mage's first map via helictopter and need to relog to clear it) the rest is definitely some first world problems. In close to two years I can count on the hands of one finger the number of times there were wipes on the pylons and it is more likely a squishy died from all the hydras than a melee from the irresistible toxic damage.

7 hours ago, BrandX said:

If you find the toxic damage so bad, there's using orange inspirations.

I personally don't have many issues with it, it's my teammates not being able to sustain themselves and causing the TF to be slowed as a result that I dislike.

15 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

I personally don't have many issues with it, it's my teammates not being able to sustain themselves and causing the TF to be slowed as a result that I dislike.

Tell them to get some orange inspirations 🙂  Max out that toxic resist as you go in.

21 hours ago, Sovera said:

... <snipped,  bolding mine> ... and it is more likely a squishy died from all the hydras than a melee from the irresistible toxic damage.

Okay been over year since I've gotten in game and been able to run the TF or use Mids.  Last ran it on Live.

So is this hyperbole and the advice to use orange inspires correct?  Or not?

1 hour ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Okay been over year since I've gotten in game and been able to run the TF or use Mids.  Last ran it on Live.

So is this hyperbole and the advice to use orange inspires correct?  Or not?

The pulsing toxic damage is unresistable. Using Barrier before the Pylon does not stop me from taking damage. Barrier fills up my toxic resistance and gives me oddles of defense and even so damage happens. So orange insps will do nothing. What Barrier and insps are good for is for ignoring all the mobs surrounding the pylons so said pylons can be burned down in seconds which is the normal way of doing it.

In all my time in HC wipes from pylons can be counted on one hand. A few deaths happen, but not from meleers and rather the squishies confronted with a ton of angry mobs shooting everywhere as everyone focuses on the pylon.

I minimize this in my runs by popping Barrier before we pull. It does nothing for the pylon but keeps squishies safe-ish. Results have been satisfactory.

• Thanks 1