Patch Notes for May 30th, 2019

It's quite telling that the people complaining about this change don't want to address the arguments made in this thread about how this isn't even really a nerf. Once again, DFB is faster XP now than it was before the devs changed anything. Yes, there was a brief time, in between the double XP option being added and this recent "nerf" where you could do DFB from 1-20 at 200%. Now you can only do it at 200% from 1-10 and can still do it well above 100% for most of the rest of your way until lvl 20. And even at lvl 20, you can do it at the same as you could on live.

What the complainers are saying is they *deserve* to be able to run DFB at 200% from 1-20 and only being able to run it at 200% for half the time, but still over it for the other half of the time, is not enough. I'm sorry, but that's just a ridiculous opinion that doesn't need to be taken seriously. If DFB was great before the double XP option, then it's still great (and even better) now.

It's quite telling that the people complaining about this change don't want to address the arguments made in this thread about how this isn't even really a nerf. Once again, DFB is faster XP now than it was before the devs changed anything. Yes, there was a brief time, in between the double XP option being added and this recent "nerf" where you could do DFB from 1-20 at 200%. Now you can only do it at 200% from 1-10 and can still do it well above 100% for most of the rest of your way until lvl 20. And even at lvl 20, you can do it at the same as you could on live.

What the complainers are saying is they *deserve* to be able to run DFB at 200% from 1-20 and only being able to run it at 200% for half the time, but still over it for the other half of the time, is not enough. I'm sorry, but that's just a ridiculous opinion that doesn't need to be taken seriously. If DFB was great before the double XP option, then it's still great (and even better) now.

Hey now, don't you go bringing logic into an emotional argument!

What are you, sane or something?!?

I'm mean, to be fair to those players - they had a system they liked and it's not as awesome now.  If I really liked DFB, I'd be unhappy too.  And if I was unhappy, I'd come to the forums and voice my displeasure.  It's not ridiculous...

It's true the changes still make it is better than Live, and it's true it didn't go from really awesome to horrible.  But it did go from really awesome to just awesome.  Since awesome isn't as good as really awesome, and since you've had really awesome, it is disappointing.

I'm not saying the changes are unfair, but we needn't belittle those who are disappointed and expressing it.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

There are some who expressed disappointment, and did it without threatening to quit, or criticize the Devs unduly.  Then again, there were those that weren't as courteous, and making them out to be fun-killing, unsympathetic individuals who were just out to ruin the game for them unnecessarily.  As I have said, I support their right to say that, but I don't agree with the sentiment.  The game is still awesome if you're willing to be flexible, and creative in finding workarounds to perceived obstacles.

What was no more, is REBORN!

It’s quite telling when people who are happy with the change because it serves them make those who disagree with them out to idiots who don’t deserve to have opinions. It all goes back to the underlying root of the issue. It’s posts like yours that show that you believe only your point of view is valid and anyone who does not agree with you should not be taken seriously.

This game is not the same as the live version. A nerf did happen that affects a portion of the player base negatively.  It’s not a matter of who deserves what. It’s a matter of people believing others viewpoints don’t matter.  If the nerf was so small as you put it, then why did it need to happen in the first place?

I’m not saying the devs don’t think people’s opinions matter. None of my comments concerning the whys and the wherefores are directed to them honestly. They did what they did for their own reasons whether they be petty or good. I do express disappointment with the change, but it isn’t enough for me to not want to play or not appreciate the devs hard work. I do however have a problem with other players who feel that any view that does not fit in with their own is not a worthwhile view and then proceed to belittle said players. I’m sorry, but THAT’S just a ridiculous opinion that doesn’t need to be taken seriously. (Last sentence is sarcastic in tone in case that is missed).

It’s quite telling when people who are happy with the change because it serves them make those who disagree with them out to idiots who don’t deserve to have opinions. It all goes back to the underlying root of the issue. It’s posts like yours that show that you believe only your point of view is valid and anyone who does not agree with you should not be taken seriously.

This game is not the same as the live version. A nerf did happen that affects a portion of the player base negatively.  It’s not a matter of who deserves what. It’s a matter of people believing others viewpoints don’t matter.  If the nerf was so small as you put it, then why did it need to happen in the first place?

I’m not saying the devs don’t think people’s opinions matter. None of my comments concerning the whys and the wherefores are directed to them honestly. They did what they did for their own reasons whether they be petty or good. I do express disappointment with the change, but it isn’t enough for me to not want to play or not appreciate the devs hard work. I do however have a problem with other players who feel that any view that does not fit in with their own is not a worthwhile view and then proceed to belittle said players. I’m sorry, but THAT’S just a ridiculous opinion that doesn’t need to be taken seriously. (Last sentence is sarcastic in tone in case that is missed).

The change doesn't "serve me". I played tons of DFB. And I still will. I just realize that DFB is now better than it was before double XP was added. Acknowledgement of that seems to be missing from almost all of the complaints. I mean, at lvl 15 you can now get DFB XP at 172% the level you could get it on live. And people are getting hysterical because they can't get it at 200% anymore. That's who I don't think should be taken seriously.

And it all keeps circling back to the same tired old base: you either play they way I think you should play or you can leave. Considering all the damage that was done to the game by Emmert following this mantra I really thought this time around things would be very different. Clearly I was mistaken.

I can't wait until changes are made that they don't like. Cause I love a good schadenfreude sandwich, don't you?

And it all keeps circling back to the same tired old base: you either play they way I think you should play or you can leave. Considering all the damage that was done to the game by Emmert following this mantra I really thought this time around things would be very different. Clearly I was mistaken.

I can't wait until changes are made that they don't like. Cause I love a good schadenfreude sandwich, don't you?

Nope, try again. I play DFB. I like DFB. I don't care how anyone wants to play. My irritation is solely with people who don't realize that the devs have made DFB better than it was during live and are losing their minds just because it's no longer as great as it was for a brief period.

And here are the exact figures:

• Level <=10: 100%
  • Level 11: 98%
  • Level 12: 96%
  • Level 13: 93%
  • Level 14: 90%
  • Level 15: 86%
  • Level 16: 81%
  • Level 17: 76%
  • Level 18: 69%
  • Level 19: 60%
  • Level >= 20: 50%

My experience suggest this isn't working as intended.  Prior to the patch I could go from level 1 to 10 using a +100% XP Booster in a single run.  I just tried this on a new character with +100% XP and came out shy of level 7 (6.84-ish).  Even when the shard XP was at +50% XP I got to 8 in a single run.  Unless my memory is completely shot or I missed something, XP is reduced below level 10.

Nope, try again. I play DFB. I like DFB. I don't care how anyone wants to play. My irritation is solely with people who don't realize that the devs have made DFB better than it was during live and are losing their minds just because it's no longer as great as it was for a brief period.

The only people losing their minds are guys like you who are falling all over themselves trying to prove this change was a good idea. And only winding up proving just the opposite. I mean, you're doing the work for us. I really do not need to say much else at this point.

My experience suggest this isn't working as intended.  Prior to the patch I could go from level 1 to 10 using a +100% XP Booster in a single run.  I just tried this on a new character and came out shy of level 7 (6.84-ish).  Even when the shard XP was at +50% XP I got to 8 in a single run.  Unless my memory is completely shot or I missed something, XP is reduced below level 10.

I pointed out that XP boosters currently break DFB XP a few pages ago, and it was confirmed by Leandro. He will fix it in the next patch.

DFB at live/beginning of private server: "DFB is amazing!"

Level <=10: 100%

Level 11: 100%

Level 12: 100%

Level 13: 100%

Level 14: 100%

Level 15: 100%

Level 16: 100%

Level 17: 100%

Level 18: 100%

Level 19: 100%

Level 20: 100%

DFB after double XP option: "DFB is even more amazing!"

Level <=10: 200%

Level 11: 200%

Level 12: 200%

Level 13: 200%

Level 14: 200%

Level 15: 200%

Level 16: 200%

Level 17: 200%

Level 18: 200%

Level 19: 200%

Level 20: 200%

DFB now: "DFB sucks. They ruined it!"

Level 11: 196%

Level 12: 192%

Level 13: 186%

Level 14: 180%

Level 15: 172%

Level 16: 162%

Level 17: 152%

Level 18: 138%

Level 19: 120%

Yes, the third set of people do not deserve to be taken seriously.

Actually I don’t want a change to happen that negatively affects them. It’s not fun and I don’t want that. I get that it will most likely happen at some point. It’s bound to, but doesn’t mean I want it to. I just don’t like the “my way of playing is better and therefore my opinion is better”. I get that DFB has changed. It’s not going to stop me from running it. It’s also not going to make me do story arcs. I don’t know why the devs made the change, and although I’m disappointed, I don’t honestly care much. I just don’t like the “my way is better” attitude expressed by many in support of this change.

DFB at live/beginning of private server: "DFB is amazing!"

Level <=10: 100%

Level 11: 100%

Level 12: 100%

Level 13: 100%

Level 14: 100%

Level 15: 100%

Level 16: 100%

Level 17: 100%

Level 18: 100%

Level 19: 100%

DFB after double XP option: "DFB is even more amazing!"

Level 11: 200%

Level 12: 200%

Level 13: 200%

Level 14: 200%

Level 15: 200%

Level 16: 200%

Level 17: 200%

Level 18: 200%

Level 19: 200%

Level 20: 200%

DFB now: "DFB sucks. They ruined it!"

Level 11: 196%

Level 12: 192%

Level 13: 186%

Level 14: 180%

Level 15: 172%

Level 16: 162%

Level 17: 152%

Level 18: 138%

Level 19: 120%

Yes, the third set of people do not deserve to be taken seriously.

Wrong. Some may have said its ruined, I however never did. It’s has received a nerf. Some people feel it wasn’t justified. That’s why they aren’t happy about it. Especially if it doesn’t really change behavior. I’ve seen anecdotal evidence stating that it has changed behavior. From what I saw last night it didn’t change anything. Other than encouraging more DFB runs to make up for the nerf.

Either way, it is wrong to say their opinions don’t matter. Again, straight back to the “my opinion is valid, everyone who agrees with me is also valid, but any who disagree with me is not valid and shouldn’t be taken seriously”.

My experience suggest this isn't working as intended.  Prior to the patch I could go from level 1 to 10 using a +100% XP Booster in a single run.  I just tried this on a new character and came out shy of level 7 (6.84-ish).  Even when the shard XP was at +50% XP I got to 8 in a single run.  Unless my memory is completely shot or I missed something, XP is reduced below level 10.

I pointed out that XP boosters currently break DFB XP a few pages ago, and it was confirmed by Leandro. He will fix it in the next patch.

I expected someone probably had, but wasn't inclined to read through nearly 200 posts to see.

The Dev's disagree with them, as shown by the "nerf"

True the devs nerfed it. They also said they want to be careful how they approach it. Probably because they knew it would be contentious. Even so, just because the devs nerfed it does not invalidate opposing opinions. It only means the people in charge chose to do something that does not align with those opinions. It’s bound to happen. It will continue to happen. It’s the nature of games.

However, whether or not the devs actions align with a certain groups opinions does not validate those opinions and invalidate another groups opinions.  There reasoning for making the change may be exactly the same reason as some people have. It may also be for a completely different reason, but same end result. There may even be a time during the course of this game that the devs make a change and then decide to reverse it. That has happened in many games. Not saying it will happen, but it might at some point. Dev actions =\= absolute validation of one idea and invalidation of a different one.

Devs please forgive me for not first saying thank you for bringing this game back to life for me and thousands of others. No change you can make (in relation to the game) will ever have more effect than bringing it back in the first place. So despite my disappointment with DFB changes, it is water under the bridge. So thank you a thousand times over.

Off topic somewhat: I have been replying to this thread a lot and I just gotta say: I have missed this sort of banter.  I haven’t had it since I was really into the swtor community (game was killed for me a few years ago). Despite people having very different opinions than me I enjoy a good discussion. Even when people call me ridiculous or I do the same to them. I just just really enjoy engaging in a community discussion, even a heated one. Those are honestly more fun to me anyway.

However, I understand that others may not enjoy this sort of banter. So I will do my best to not reply as much and focus on other threads instead. No promises of not replying at all though. I think each side has made good points and have had a good discussion. Devs have made up their mind for now and I’m satisfied with that. I just enjoy having a forum that I enjoy going to in addition to a game.

So thank you devs for the game. Thank you for the changes. Thank you all posters for agreeing and disagreeing with me. I look forward to more :D

I just tell people on my dfb runs to have their XP boost running and that once you hit L15 to switch to drowning in blood. 

Doing this I can still get alts to L22 pretty fast, thus locking their name for a year if I don't get back to them as I work on other alts and at L22 the L25 inventions can be very..... delightful

Is that a "wrong" way to play? Not at all, as there is no wrong way to play except if you are using a bug to exploit mass amounts of xp/inf.  Remember all the problems Position had with AE when it first went live and all the patching and AE badge nerfing that happened?  Or some of the other old exploits that have long since been fixed?

DFB pales in comparison to to them. Just play DFB and the rest of CoH, and sit back and smile that the game is back.

So since this was a bug, is there any "fastest" way to get to 50 now that DFB isn't the  'contenda' it used to be?

Fast or fastest are relative terms, one person's fast is another person's slow.

Get to L22, use mids/pines hero builder to design a good L22 build with  L25 inventions,  see if you can get at or near defense cap and find your favorite mission or missionw and have fun.

The more we play the more we thumb our nose at Ncsoft.

My only issue with people using DFB to level up so much, is that we have a lot of NEW players (somehow) who were sucked into it and have either nor idea how to actually play past that point, OR, people who haven't done the minimal amount of unlocks needed for certain things.

It's common to be recruiting for an ITF and someone has to ask "what zone" and we have to explain how to get the Midnighter badge. Or recruiting for an I-trial and people try to join without having Alpha unlocked. Or trying to get in on a Mothership raid when they haven't done Levantra's arc yet. Just today I did a DiB badge run, and someone asked (I'm not sure if joking or in exasperation) if they had to unlock a certain location or have a certain badge first.

That's the practical side of it. On a more personal note, I'm irked that so many NEW players are (inadvertently?) avoiding a lot of content. Yes, anything made before issue... 6 let's say, really kinda sucks. "Go to this warehouse. Click glowie, don't bother reading the clue. Kill skulz at the end. Run around outside, kil 10 skulz. Go to this warehouse, kill ALL the skulz. Repeat a few times" But a lot of the newer stuff like Twinshot's arc, the new Skull arc, are really good! A lot of the game is generic "kill dudes with flimsy justification", I get that. But we're doing people a disservice by pretending the game doesn't exist pre-50.

I mean hell, I've seen people with level 20+ characters asking how to use enhancements and other basic stuff! I don't wanna tell anyone how to play, but maybe some people would be better served by playing City of Heroes "right", instead of "Super Powered Sanitation Workers".

The changes to DFB/MSR we’re not improvements in the sight of all. Nor were they supported by the entire community as this thread alone has shown. Several people do indeed support the changes, and several people do not. The community is split on the issue. The devs just happened to agree that change was needed. However, it is wrong to say the community needs and supports it, as only part of the community sees it that way. There are always two sides.

A quick count of people disagreeing with the changes in this 11 page thread is 6 vocal people everyone else seems fine with the Dev's balancing efforts.

Thanks for all your hard work Dev's

There are plenty of thread about it all with differing opinions. The original comment I responded to implied that the community in whole needed and supported this change. That is completely false. There is a part of the community that does not support it. I never said one was bigger than the other. Only that it is wrong to assume the community supports it as a whole. It is better to say, “part of the community supports this”. That is undoubtedly true. Saying the community needs this however is fully subjective and shouldn’t really be said at all. I’m not going to say the community needs DFB nor will I say the community needed it to be nerfed. Either statement is purely based on opinion. I will says that the nerf was definitely wanted by some and very much opposed by others.

Actually, not false, validated by data. 6 people disagree. Out of multiples of 10 agreeing. So, the majority approve, therefor in a community, that is majority support.

Not everyone agrees with mandatory seatbelt laws. However, the majority approve, thus, the community supports it.

You clearly have a problem understanding representative statistical samples. This thread is not representative of the population and cannot be used to accurately gauge the community as a whole. It can however show that the community is at least split on this issue purely due to the fact that there is more than one opinion expressed. Even if all posts were positive or all posts were negative it still would not be an appropriate statistical sample. That’s why I didn’t say, the community is not in support of the DFB change. I said, part of the community doesn’t support it. That is a true statement.  Saying the majority of the community supports it is false and is not backed up by real data.

Also, comparing a computer game to seatbelts is ridiculous. It’s just like in the open letter announcement someone comparing computer game opinions to gun safety. One is real world and one is a game. One has no influence on real world safety. One can result in real world death.  That is not a good faith comparison in the slightest.

Actually, I ran a statistical inference and regression anova analysis on this from the responses in the thread. Because there were more than 30 distinct sample responses, it is a statistically viable pool. With the alpha at 5%, confidence level of 95%, it is statistically accurate that the community supports this, as demonstrated by the sample numbers.

Being very familiar with statistical analysis, a sample size of 30 or more has been shown to be statistically representitive of the population. Data, and proof.

You were saying?

It's common to be recruiting for an ITF and someone has to ask "what zone" and we have to explain how to get the Midnighter badge. Or recruiting for an I-trial and people try to join without having Alpha unlocked.

While I am sure DFB made this more common; it is not the root cause of this. There are a good number of new players on HC and they don't all have TF level requirements memorized. Hell im sure even some old vets forgot over 7 years. Just a few cases in point (this was all before the DFB craze)

We were forming a Citadel. The Leader was just spamming LFG (Lf1m for Citadel).

He kept inviting a person, then they'd zone in. Only to find them under level 25. Happened 4 times in a row. I finally told him to "check their level before inviting and try adding the level requirements to the LFG chat". We all had a good chuckle about it though. Sure enough the next Hero was in his 30s and all was well.

Same toon, a little later. Multiple ITF runs invited people who were either <35 or did not have the badge.

Point being, TF requirements are common knowledge that's not as common as you'd think anymore. With all the fresh blood running round. And that's a great thing. Nothing wrong with newcomers! I have noticed more and more people are including the level range in their LFG ads now too.

You also have people who predominantly play the opposite alignment. I am almost always Hero, therefore I have zero idea what the level requirements are for Villain TFs. I would have to ask the person forming the team first.