Patch Notes for May 30th, 2019

Not thrilled about the DFB nerf but, if it's going to be nerfed, then this is the way I'd want them to do it so it's fine. Hopefully more will switch from DFB to DiB in the later teens (and stop obsessing over the end bosses badge lol) and everything will adjust.

Loving the -KB change. Unlike the Private Server poster, I like to work with my teammates tactics and not having to deal with that very-longtime aspect is what kept me from rolling many /Storms and such.

Nope Dr, if I'm wrong and they aren't actually anti farming/economy (which from the evidence so far seems to be exactly what they are) I will gladly proclaim I'm wrong AND serve up some juicy movie flavored popcorn for everyone! (add your own salt, because heart conditions)

So a group of (arguably inexeprienced at running MMOs) people trying to take a server configuration/codebase that was modded to be a bit more comfortable with a smaller population and tweak it to work a little better with a larger population, in an effor to make the game a better experience, is then, in your opinion, just a cover for 'nerfs' to people being able to 'farm' effectively.

Did I get that right?

That sound like some grade A tinfoil stuff right there.

What evil purpose do these rogue server runners have that justifies this outlook?

I mean right now, you just sound like someone ranting on a street corner about the end of the world, TBH.

Additionally, if the server runners, for whatever reason, are not fond of what you call 'farming' and chose, on the servers they run, to restrict it, how does that impact anything? So some of the characters in the virtual world no longer earn rewards at the same rate.

So?

How does that mean I should be worried or concerned?

I am still going to be able to play the game and have fun.

You really sound like a grognard that just wants to rain on the fun we are having, IMO.

I’m happy about DFB. God I hate running as a level 5 for 5-6 runs to get to 22 with every character with every other option just being inefficient in comparison...

The DFB nerf is foolish at best and highly counterproductive at worst.

Now it'll just be level 1s looking to get PL'd in PI/Grandville farms, in exchange for giving the mission owner any good drops (recpie/salvage). The XP rates available from that (remember double xp weekends on live servers where people would PL from 1 to 50? I do. So that's just your P2W +100% xp buff "anytime") are similar to way over DFB's depending on the relative "efficiency" of the two teams.

The advantages of DFB are huge and being overlooked compared to the other content:

* A group of low levels can do it, without begging/selling their soulsdrops.

* It actively encourages actual participation as opposed to piking at the door -- you help, the run is faster, your xp/min goes up.

* All ATs meaningfully contribute (mostly because when you're limited to level 10, everybody sucks equally).

* It teaches people to use some of the tools (building a team, queueing to lfg, etc) of the game.

* It lowers the cost of experimentation ("would I like this powerset/at combo? Let's get it to 22, do it up with SOs, and see!") and so players will be more willing to experiment. **

* Its relatively short content so you can drop in and drop out when you have 15 minutes as opposed to, "oh yep another 1.5 hour task force. That's excellent, but I have a family these days so I guess I'll just go play... something else."

* When high levels drop in because they only have 15, newbies can ask questions and learn something.

The other thing these patch notes say is the old Asheron's Call player motto: "exploit early, exploit often." Highly unhealthy, IMO.

**: This wouldn't be a big deal if we had powerset-choice-respecs. If I could turn a dark/inv scrapper into a rad/bio scrapper just by running a (reasonable) difficulty trial (preferably spaced like the terra volta ones are -- I'm not talking "grid to 50 and...") that would be a vast improvement to the game.

The DFB change was brilliant at worst and downright enlightened at best. DFB serves it's purpose, and now is no longer abused and exclusionary by nature.

Amazing job HC team!

Thank you for all the hard work on the costumes, powers, etc.

On cutting the rewards down for both DFB and RWZ/MSR raid....all I can say is I'm very disappointed.  Less than a month after re-releasing this game that I've missed for many years, you've now given me reason to stop playing it as much.  I've been trying very hard to get my original characters rebuilt in the game.  I managed to get two of them back to the builds they had before Live shut down.  But now that you are removing the fast-pass rebuild features these two tracks represented, I've little reason to invest all the time I have been on trying to get back to parity.

I've no desire to play with others who wish to enforce their play style on me.  "Don't fire until I herd the room."  "Wait for the Blaster to drop his nuke."  "Don't use your X power, its messing up with my preference to do Y."  Which, really, makes up the bulk of the membership of these boards and in the game.

I'm thankful I have my own personal server to enjoy my old archived characters and those I've restored with my friends.  I will no longer need to try and do that here.

I enjoyed all my fellow DFB/DiB'r teammates I've met, along with the multiple MSR raiders as well.  Some have now come over to my private server.  Which is cool.  But we enjoyed playing in your sandbox while you allowed us to do so unmolested.  I guess we can consider you a marketing channel to find others who wish a more open sandbox style of play.

Thanks for briefly playing with us. While the improvements to DFB and the OMG-raid may seem odd to you, the community needs and supports them.

After all, life is a journey, where death is a destination. Keeping the game alive is about the journey.

I’m happy about DFB. God I hate running as a level 5 for 5-6 runs to get to 22 with every character with every other option just being inefficient in comparison...

Now it'll just be level 1s looking to get PL'd in PI/Grandville farms, in exchange for giving the mission owner any good drops (recpie/salvage). The XP rates available from that (remember double xp weekends on live servers where people would PL from 1 to 50? I do. So that's just your P2W +100% xp buff "anytime") are similar to way over DFB's depending on the relative "efficiency" of the two teams.

The advantages of DFB are huge and being overlooked compared to the other content:

* It actively encourages actual participation as opposed to piking at the door -- you help, the run is faster, your xp/min goes up.

* All ATs meaningfully contribute (mostly because when you're limited to level 10, everybody sucks equally).

* It teaches people to use some of the tools (building a team, queueing to lfg, etc) of the game.

* It lowers the cost of experimentation ("would I like this powerset/at combo? Let's get it to 22, do it up with SOs, and see!") and so players will be more willing to experiment. **

* Its relatively short content so you can drop in and drop out when you have 15 minutes as opposed to, "oh yep another 1.5 hour task force. That's excellent, but I have a family these days so I guess I'll just go play... something else."

* When high levels drop in because they only have 15, newbies can ask questions and learn something.

This x1000. All nerfing DFB is going to do is push new players into other PL situations where they will not actually have to engage the content and learn how the game works.

As for those saying "Yay, it's nerfed, now I don't have to run it anymore", guess what? No one was forcing you to run it at all. You always had the option to get to 22 by other means if you chose. Now no one has the option.

Ah, so you're assuming all new players only pl? In essence, you validated the reason for the improvements, because if all new players only hAve one option, powerleveling, then there's an issue

DFB wasn't meant to make all other content trivial, which it did  now, it's fixed.

When you find a game bug, they don't Nerf bugs, the fix them. This was fixed

I use firecages to hold mobs in place while I tornado / lightning storm / bonfire etc. Or, well, I used to.

I can see removing it from the single target, as it is with firecages the -kb is(was) a much shorter duration then the immob. This allowed firecages to really help nail mobs down and keep them in place for nuking.

I fail to see how immobilizes converting knockback to knockdown breaks your tactics -- they're still held in place, and when hit with your AoE knockback power, they'll still be held in place, but they'll be getting dumped on their asses by the converted knockback, keeping them from shooting back at you.

*snip't*

It also sets a Dangerous precendent for other, long-running massively efficient XP/Inf farm TF's & trials like ITF. Especially since as far as i can find, this was a full-on stealth nerf to the Trial SPECIFICALLY to stop the "DFB to 20, -REDACTED- to 35. ITF 35-50" Loop a lot of us have been doing to power up alts.

of note, is that instead of changing merit drop rates, they tripled the amount needed for a conversion, this sets up the potential to stealth-nerf the droprates over time.

And now this with DFB. DFB was great because you could get to 22 (Low-level TF's SUCK and are absolutely horrible slogfests, and random radios are equally slow if you're just trying to level up) and it kept people from begging for PL's and crap from level 1.

P. soon you're gonna see all the good 25-45 content get nerfed to crap too, it's got nothing to do with "Player choice" or "time/effort to reward ratio" either, that whole line is BS.

1-20 List it with me: DFB, Posi 1&2(Long as fel, useless) Synapse, DIB, Yin....Or random radio/paper/whatever missions

AND OH YEAH, lets NOT FORGET VILLAINSIDE. which has EVEN WORSE OPTIONS IN THE 1-22 RANGE

Make the drop-off point for DFB 20 instead of 10 (Because skipping the 10-20 content as well is less BS, especially redside) and just stop trying to nerf speedlevelling. This is City of heroes, you'll break the freaking game completely long before you beat powerlevelling.

Also:

It just won't be the absolute, 100% most efficient method of gaining XP any more.

It never was. AE PL's are still faster, PIPL's are still faster, but it was the combination of XP and TF Mechanics that made it great for leveling toons AND catching up friends or bringing friends into the game who've seen your upper-level gameplay and want to join in without being useless

Having them stand at the door in AE/PI Farms doesn't teach them anything, rolling a new toon and doing DFB with them a few times on even footing not only gave them the same super fast levels, but also taught them significantly more about actually PLAYING THE FREAKING GAME.

Lessening the rewards also hurts a solo player, i have a very specific loop i do on my alts, because i can literally hit 50 in a day without being farmed by anyone, all the DFB Nerf does is slow me down a bit. I'm trying to get numerous alts to 50 so i can help my friends that i keep running into by filling any role they need at the time

With the old merit rate, the comical influence and XP that some TF's give, and my loop, it took no time to get a decent L50 build going. Still doesn't, it's just 66% more obnoxious and slow.

All valid opinions, from your view, but none of us exist in a vacuum. We are a community, and we must not forget the negative impact exclusionary content has on NEW players. What got veterans hooked on this game wasn't powerleveling, it was the game content. Broken DFB type content robs new players of the experience we veterans take for granted.

I look forward to the (hopeful) upswing in TFs and whatnot being run as DFB requests dwindle down.  Lots of good stuff in this patch, thanks and keep up the good great work!

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

/signed

I use firecages to hold mobs in place while I tornado / lightning storm / bonfire etc. Or, well, I used to.

I can see removing it from the single target, as it is with firecages the -kb is(was) a much shorter duration then the immob. This allowed firecages to really help nail mobs down and keep them in place for nuking.

Or was the change just for the single target immob?

KnockBack will be converted to KnockDown

for partial or full time?

I don't know what you mean by partial or full time. They likely just removed the -100 Knockup effect and then replaced the old effect of -100 Knockback with +9999% Resistance(Knockback) or something.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

Loving the -KB change. Unlike the Private Server poster, I like to work with my teammates tactics and not having to deal with that very-longtime aspect is what kept me from rolling many /Storms and such.

-KB for storm didn’t change.  What changed was how immob powers interact with  knockdown/up/back. 

Most immob (tentacles being one exception) already stopped the Knockback.  What this change does - instead of stopping the Knockback, it now allows it but changes it to knockdown (the part I missed originally). 

This is a very good thing but will have no impact on storm defenders/MM/controllers unless they use an immob.

Thank you for all the hard work on the costumes, powers, etc.

On cutting the rewards down for both DFB and RWZ/MSR raid....all I can say is I'm very disappointed.  Less than a month after re-releasing this game that I've missed for many years, you've now given me reason to stop playing it as much.  I've been trying very hard to get my original characters rebuilt in the game.  I managed to get two of them back to the builds they had before Live shut down.  But now that you are removing the fast-pass rebuild features these two tracks represented, I've little reason to invest all the time I have been on trying to get back to parity.

I've no desire to play with others who wish to enforce their play style on me.  "Don't fire until I herd the room."  "Wait for the Blaster to drop his nuke."  "Don't use your X power, its messing up with my preference to do Y."  Which, really, makes up the bulk of the membership of these boards and in the game.

I'm thankful I have my own personal server to enjoy my old archived characters and those I've restored with my friends.  I will no longer need to try and do that here.

I enjoyed all my fellow DFB/DiB'r teammates I've met, along with the multiple MSR raiders as well.  Some have now come over to my private server.  Which is cool.  But we enjoyed playing in your sandbox while you allowed us to do so unmolested.  I guess we can consider you a marketing channel to find others who wish a more open sandbox style of play.

Thanks for briefly playing with us. While the improvements to DFB and the OMG-raid may seem odd to you, the community needs and supports them.

After all, life is a journey, where death is a destination. Keeping the game alive is about the journey.

The changes to DFB/MSR we’re not improvements in the sight of all. Nor were they supported by the entire community as this thread alone has shown. Several people do indeed support the changes, and several people do not. The community is split on the issue. The devs just happened to agree that change was needed. However, it is wrong to say the community needs and supports it, as only part of the community sees it that way. There are always two sides.

*snip't*

It also sets a Dangerous precendent for other, long-running massively efficient XP/Inf farm TF's & trials like ITF. Especially since as far as i can find, this was a full-on stealth nerf to the Trial SPECIFICALLY to stop the "DFB to 20, -REDACTED- to 35. ITF 35-50" Loop a lot of us have been doing to power up alts.

of note, is that instead of changing merit drop rates, they tripled the amount needed for a conversion, this sets up the potential to stealth-nerf the droprates over time.

And now this with DFB. DFB was great because you could get to 22 (Low-level TF's SUCK and are absolutely horrible slogfests, and random radios are equally slow if you're just trying to level up) and it kept people from begging for PL's and crap from level 1.

P. soon you're gonna see all the good 25-45 content get nerfed to crap too, it's got nothing to do with "Player choice" or "time/effort to reward ratio" either, that whole line is BS.

1-20 List it with me: DFB, Posi 1&2(Long as fel, useless) Synapse, DIB, Yin....Or random radio/paper/whatever missions

AND OH YEAH, lets NOT FORGET VILLAINSIDE. which has EVEN WORSE OPTIONS IN THE 1-22 RANGE

Make the drop-off point for DFB 20 instead of 10 (Because skipping the 10-20 content as well is less BS, especially redside) and just stop trying to nerf speedlevelling. This is City of heroes, you'll break the freaking game completely long before you beat powerlevelling.

Also:

It just won't be the absolute, 100% most efficient method of gaining XP any more.

It never was. AE PL's are still faster, PIPL's are still faster, but it was the combination of XP and TF Mechanics that made it great for leveling toons AND catching up friends or bringing friends into the game who've seen your upper-level gameplay and want to join in without being useless

Having them stand at the door in AE/PI Farms doesn't teach them anything, rolling a new toon and doing DFB with them a few times on even footing not only gave them the same super fast levels, but also taught them significantly more about actually PLAYING THE FREAKING GAME.

Lessening the rewards also hurts a solo player, i have a very specific loop i do on my alts, because i can literally hit 50 in a day without being farmed by anyone, all the DFB Nerf does is slow me down a bit. I'm trying to get numerous alts to 50 so i can help my friends that i keep running into by filling any role they need at the time

With the old merit rate, the comical influence and XP that some TF's give, and my loop, it took no time to get a decent L50 build going. Still doesn't, it's just 66% more obnoxious and slow.

All valid opinions, from your view, but none of us exist in a vacuum. We are a community, and we must not forget the negative impact exclusionary content has on NEW players. What got veterans hooked on this game wasn't powerleveling, it was the game content. Broken DFB type content robs new players of the experience we veterans take for granted.

Your opinions are also only your point of view. DFB is not exclusionary content. In fact, it is some of the most accessible content available for all to participate in especially in low levels.

Also you are also misleading by stating that all veterans were hooked by content. That may be true for some veterans, but definitely not for all. The friend who introduced me to the game loved farming and power leveling all sorts of alts. That was his absolute favorite part of the game. And he played it from sun up on day one to sundown on the last day. There were many like him. Although I’m not as into farming and power leveling as he was, my favorite part of the game was indeed having many many alts in the mid to high levels and testing them out.

You are basically stating that power leveling isn’t content for players, when it actually is the content for many as that is what they enjoy doing. DFB actually improves the experience for part of the population of old and new players. It is an accessible and easy way to get in, team, and play with various powersets that everyone can do if they so choose. I wish I had had it when I first started out. I only barely got to try it on live.

Also you are also misleading by stating that all veterans were hooked by content. That may be true for some veterans, but definitely not for all. The friend who introduced me to the game loved farming and power leveling all sorts of alts. That was his absolute favorite part of the game. And he played it from sun up on day one to sundown on the last day. There were many like him. Although I’m not as into farming and power leveling as he was, my favorite part of the game was indeed having many many alts in the mid to high levels and testing them out.

You are basically stating that power leveling isn’t content for players, when it actually is the content for many as that is what they enjoy doing. DFB actually improves the experience for part of the population of old and new players. It is an accessible and easy way to get in, team, and play with various powersets that everyone can do if they so choose. I wish I had had it when I first started out. I only barely got to try it on live.

Yeah, played from Day 4 of Live.

Never, and I mean never, have I played this game for the story/content per-se.

Even a little.

I play to make a Super and have that Super kick butt, then I get another idea and work on that one, etc.

Leveling up the next idea _is_ CoH for me.

Now, I don't want insta 50s at all, I can do that on a VM, but I do want to try lots of powersets and character ideas.

Noen of which revolve around a story someone else is telling me - I make my own.

So yeah, to even imply a little bit that 'most' veterans are here for the 'content' is simply false.

I am sure they exist, but personally in-game, I have never had someone say anything along the lines of "let's run this content, I love the story".

I could not care less about some minor XP changes in the minutae of the game, it won't impact me in the least from continuing to have fun.

I don't understand people that look at patchnotes looking to nit-pick, never have lilke rules-lawyers, kvetching about rules changes like this is silly IMO.

The craziest thing about all of these complaints is that the nerf to DFB was very minor. In fact, with the double XP option available, the nerf of 50% just means DFB grants same XP it did before the team added that option. This is really only a nerf to people who only started playing DFB after that option was added.

The changes to DFB/MSR we’re not improvements in the sight of all. Nor were they supported by the entire community as this thread alone has shown. Several people do indeed support the changes, and several people do not. The community is split on the issue. The devs just happened to agree that change was needed. However, it is wrong to say the community needs and supports it, as only part of the community sees it that way. There are always two sides.

A quick count of people disagreeing with the changes in this 11 page thread is 6 vocal people everyone else seems fine with the Dev's balancing efforts.

Thanks for all your hard work Dev's

This x1000. All nerfing DFB is going to do is push new players into other PL situations where they will not actually have to engage the content and learn how the game works.

As for those saying "Yay, it's nerfed, now I don't have to run it anymore", guess what? No one was forcing you to run it at all. You always had the option to get to 22 by other means if you chose. Now no one has the option.

(emphasis mine)

Of course you still have the option. DfB hasn't been removed from the game, the rewards are just lessened at higher levels. And up until about level 17 or so aren't even nerfed by all that much. You can absolutely continue to run DfB until level 22 if you wish. It just won't be the absolute, 100% most efficient method of gaining XP any more.

Which completely misses all and addresses none of the points made. No, we no longer have the option of getting to level 22 as quickly as we could yesterday via DFB, which makes doing it beyond lvl 15 or so pointless. We tolerated the monotony because it was fast and efficient. Now that it's no longer efficient we are forced to slog to 22 via the other ways we CHOSE NOT to use but now have no other option. Doing DFB was always a choice. No one was ever forced into the speedy lane. But we have certainly been forced out of it.

A quick count of people disagreeing with the changes in this 11 page thread is 6 vocal people everyone else seems fine with the Dev's balancing efforts.

Thanks for all your hard work Dev's

There are plenty of thread about it all with differing opinions. The original comment I responded to implied that the community in whole needed and supported this change. That is completely false. There is a part of the community that does not support it. I never said one was bigger than the other. Only that it is wrong to assume the community supports it as a whole. It is better to say, “part of the community supports this”. That is undoubtedly true. Saying the community needs this however is fully subjective and shouldn’t really be said at all. I’m not going to say the community needs DFB nor will I say the community needed it to be nerfed. Either statement is purely based on opinion. I will says that the nerf was definitely wanted by some and very much opposed by others.

Ay, while we're propagating customization stuff, last I checked Necromancy Masterminds don't have the same customization options as Dark Blast for things like Gloom and all that. Like the No Skull and Soul Noir options. Could we get those fixed up?

Yeah, played from Day 4 of Live.

Never, and I mean never, have I played this game for the story/content per-se.

Even a little.

I play to make a Super and have that Super kick butt, then I get another idea and work on that one, etc.

Leveling up the next idea _is_ CoH for me.

Now, I don't want insta 50s at all, I can do that on a VM, but I do want to try lots of powersets and character ideas.

Noen of which revolve around a story someone else is telling me - I make my own.

So yeah, to even imply a little bit that 'most' veterans are here for the 'content' is simply false.

I am sure they exist, but personally in-game, I have never had someone say anything along the lines of "let's run this content, I love the story".

I could not care less about some minor XP changes in the minutae of the game, it won't impact me in the least from continuing to have fun.

I don't understand people that look at patchnotes looking to nit-pick, never have lilke rules-lawyers, kvetching about rules changes like this is silly IMO.

Exactly this. I don’t get why some people think the “content” is only valid if it is scripted stories and task forces. And then try to force others to agree with them and fall in line. While those are content for some, perhaps most, it is not content for all. And it is wrong to assume that power leveling and farming is not content for some people. Power leveling and farming is a staple in most every mmo. CoH is no exception. If anything I think it is more encouraged in CoH than many others due to the sheer amount of power combinations and AT you can make. Making and trying out new powersets is some of the absolute best “content” there is. And there is nothing wrong with skipping lower level stories so that you can get to a decent level to have fun with your combo. It doesn’t hurt others. It is not an invalid or lesser way of playing. It is merely different. 

Apparently some people’s styke of playing and definition of “content” is less valid than others. That is the crux of my issue with the change.

-KB for storm didn’t change.  What changed was how immob powers interact with  knockdown/up/back. 

Most immob (tentacles being one exception) already stopped the Knockback.  What this change does - instead of stopping the Knockback, it now allows it but changes it to knockdown (the part I missed originally). 

This is a very good thing but will have no impact on storm defenders/MM/controllers unless they use an immob.

Ah, thank you Tatmia.  I read that in the patch notes and against my best intensions I overreacted and was all like..."Oh noez.  Mah Stormz, lmao."  I thank you for your kindness and clarity. :D

But we have certainly been forced out of it.

I recall you being a fun, engaging poster years ago, assuming it's the same person.

I hope that will continue, but your posts on this subject make me consider that might not happen.

No one is forcing you to do a damn thing.

If such a minor change like this at this 'stage of the game' really upsets you, then the changes that will surely get implemented, now that the retail entitiy does not have to be fed, the modding based on the vocal players might just blow your mind in over the next year.

Seriously.

Anyone throwing shade, getting upset, whatever term you like, over such an actual minor change, is going to be in for one hell of a ride, IMO.

Change averse players need to just run thier own servers, IMO.

(emphasis mine)

Of course you still have the option. DfB hasn't been removed from the game, the rewards are just lessened at higher levels. And up until about level 17 or so aren't even nerfed by all that much. You can absolutely continue to run DfB until level 22 if you wish. It just won't be the absolute, 100% most efficient method of gaining XP any more.

Which completely misses all and addresses none of the points made. No, we no longer have the option of getting to level 22 as quickly as we could yesterday via DFB, which makes doing it beyond lvl 15 or so pointless. We tolerated the monotony because it was fast and efficient. Now that it's no longer efficient we are forced to slog to 22 via the other ways we CHOSE NOT to use but now have no other option. Doing DFB was always a choice. No one was ever forced into the speedy lane. But we have certainly been forced out of it.

How is it pointless? From 15-19, DFB is still faster than it was before these same Devs added the double XP option. At lvl 20 it is the same. If it's pointless now, then it was pointless before that option was added.

Ah, so you're assuming all new players only pl? In essence, you validated the reason for the improvements, because if all new players only hAve one option, powerleveling, then there's an issue

DFB wasn't meant to make all other content trivial, which it did  now, it's fixed.

When you find a game bug, they don't Nerf bugs, the fix them. This was fixed

Not what I said. F for reading comprehension fail.