*GASP* Thoughts on a NON farming brute...

Xandyr

I'm determined to make a brute that I enjoy playing, while being as sturdy as possible. NOT for farming, but actual gameplay (insanity!).

I'm torn between the following:

Claws/Bio

Ice/Electric 

I know I do not want to try Dark Armor, Invuln,or SR. I had a katana/bio brute and wasn't that impressed with it. 

I'm leaning towards the ice/electric.  Looks like resists to everything except N.Energy and Toxic can be capped. I also like having the heal and damage aura. Any thoughts on this combo?

My thought process on a brute is that I need capped defenses or resists (or as close as possible), a damage aura, and a heal. I'll let Fury help with the damage output. With Electric,  it hits the resist caps, has the damage aura, and a heal. Ice melee seems like it's pretty good (had a tank before), plus you don't see a while lot of Ice Meleers.

Open to thoughts, suggestions on builds, and any other suggestions . Appreciate it.

• Like 1

Staff/Regen with whirlwind.

Be a man. Do it. SPIN to WIN!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

3 hours ago, Xandyr said:

I'm determined to make a brute that I enjoy playing, while being as sturdy as possible. NOT for farming, but actual gameplay (insanity!).

I'm torn between the following:

Claws/Bio

Ice/Electric 

I know I do not want to try Dark Armor, Invuln,or SR. I had a katana/bio brute and wasn't that impressed with it. 

I'm leaning towards the ice/electric.  Looks like resists to everything except N.Energy and Toxic can be capped. I also like having the heal and damage aura. Any thoughts on this combo?

My thought process on a brute is that I need capped defenses or resists (or as close as possible), a damage aura, and a heal. I'll let Fury help with the damage output. With Electric,  it hits the resist caps, has the damage aura, and a heal. Ice melee seems like it's pretty good (had a tank before), plus you don't see a while lot of Ice Meleers.

Open to thoughts, suggestions on builds, and any other suggestions . Appreciate it.

Bio and Electric are good, but don't discount Radiation Armor either.  With enough recharge, Ground Zero pretty much is a damage aura.

There is a alarming lack of discussion on SPINNING here.

Here I'll even give you the most ultimatest SPINNING BUILD, fit for royalty.

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Princess Spinaroonie: Level 50 Natural Brute
Primary Power Set: Staff Fighting
Secondary Power Set: Regeneration
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Mercurial Blow -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(7), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(7), HO:Nucle(33), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), KntCmb-Knock%(39)
Level 1: Fast Healing -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Prv-Absorb%(43)
Level 2: Guarded Spin -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(3), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(34)
Level 4: Quick Recovery -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(46)
Level 6: Super Speed -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 8: Eye of the Storm -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(9), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(9), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), HO:Nucle(36)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(11), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 12: Reconstruction -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(15), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal(19)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Integration -- TrmIns-Taunt(A), TrmIns-Taunt/Rchg(37), TrmIns-Stun%(37)
Level 18: Serpent's Reach -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(23), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(23), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(25)
Level 20: Whirlwind -- EndRdx-I(A), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(21), FrcFdb-Rechg%(21)
Level 22: Staff Mastery
Level 24: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Innocuous Strikes -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(27), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(33)
Level 28: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(39), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(40), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(40), UnbGrd-Max HP%(40)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(31), ShlWal-Def(31), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31)
Level 32: Sky Splitter -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(33), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(36), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(36)
Level 35: Resilience -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), ResDam-I(43)
Level 38: Moment of Glory -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RechRdx-I(39), RechRdx-I(46)
Level 41: Dull Pain -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(42), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(42), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(42), Pnc-Heal(43)
Level 44: Instant Healing -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(45), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(45), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(45), Pnc-Heal(46)
Level 47: Taunt -- MckBrt-Taunt(A), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(48), MckBrt-Taunt/Rng(48), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg(48)
Level 49: Focused Accuracy -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(50), EndRdx-I(50)
Level 1: Fury
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(13)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
Level 50: Cardiac Core Paragon
Level 50: Void Radial Final Judgement
Level 50: Born In Battle
Level 50: High Pain Threshold
Level 50: Invader
Level 50: Marshal
Level 22: Form of the Body
Level 22: Form of the Mind
Level 22: Form of the Soul
------------

Princess Spinaroonie has never been outspun. There is no SPINNING contest which she does not win. You will not stop her, no one will stop her!

Do eet do eet do eet!

Imagine 8 person all SPIN ITF, make it happen peeple.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

2 hours ago, Nemu said:

Princess Spinaroonie has never been outspun. There is no SPINNING contest which she does not win. You will not stop her, no one will stop her!

Do eet do eet do eet!

Imagine 8 person all SPIN ITF, make it happen peeple.

No Jump Kick?  You are not the mistress of spinning until you can spin on the z axis as well.

• Haha 2

Who run Bartertown?

Electric is good, decent resist spread.  KB protection when on the ground, easy to build in a few bonuses, built in +recharge power.  Heal is more of a passive regen for 30 seconds after it hits with the +HP, but if you are fighting something with -regen it makes you cry.

As for farming, its possible to farm with electric armor using the same PVE build.  Built for +S/L defense not +E/N defense, find a farm with ENG damage; it must be Energy Blast and Melee; no electric blast or electric melee.  You do defense checks vs the +Smash component of the  split damage, any energy that gets through it is reduced by 90% and smashing should be around 80 anyway.  Just make sure you got some KB protection slotted, when you jump you lose the bonus from grounded.  Might not need more then +4, but my electric brutes aim for 10 just in case and end up with 25 or so with grounded.  It won't be a mean machine farmer, but if you got time to burn and not enough to group you can do some AE.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

6 hours ago, Apparition said:

Bio and Electric are good, but don't discount Radiation Armor either.  With enough recharge, Ground Zero pretty much is a damage aura.

This. After building up a Kat/Rad scrapper and an in progress Rad/Rad tank I definitely endorse this suggestion.

I don't know anything about ice melee so can't speak to it.  But an Ice/Rad brute could have some nice thematic synergy, if that's a metric by which you measure.

Drop a Theft of Essence proc into Rad Therapy - which is a solid heal in its own right - make it a proc-bomb or enhance for heal to taste.

Energy and Toxic damage become irrelevant to you and on a Brute it is probably pretty easy to get near if not to S/L resist caps as well.  It was very nice taking a big stack of Toxic resist against Arachnoids for a change....  Oh, and Sappers, /Rad armor laughs at pathetic little Sappers. Thanks to Rad Therapy and Particle Shielding, the latter of which is trivial to make permanent.

Beta Decay isn't a dmg aura, but a Brute can (for giggles mostly, not really an ideal use of slots) drop 4 dmg procs into it, fwiw. Mostly it's there for the debuff and the aggro magnet though.

There's a cold resist hole which mostly doesn't matter, though it becomes more noticeable in the DA arcs as Pantheon do a fair amount of cold dmg.  There's Fear/Confuse hole, but protection against those is pretty rare in armor sets anyway.  Fear is more common than Confuse, but both are rare enough that the gap doesn't have much impact.

Meltdown is a usable T9 with a damage buff and a "crash" that can be ignored.  +33% damage for Brutes/Tanks, so it may or may not be worth fitting.  It's higher on a Scrapper (probably also Stalker), and I've had good results with it on that toon.

Yeah, /Rad.  Good Set.

I do remember enjoying my /Ele brute back in the Long, Long Ago, but I haven't played one on HC yet.  Also a very good set.  Claws/Elec is a classic steamroller.

Hmm...

Claws/Elec .... with SPIN!!!!

???

🤣

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Any Brute will do well.  Period.  On Single origin enhancers at that.  You start to I/O a Brute and it does very well.  You I/O, Accolade and Incarnate a Brute and it does amazingly well.  You make a tight high end I/O build and balance the Incarnate powers and accolade the thing?  Fuggedaboutit.  You can take the weirdest combo and still have a incredibly strong character for Incarnate Trials.  Basically, whatever you try you are good, and could be golden if you invest some care into the character.

I have a Task Force/Incarnate Trial build for my Fire Armor Brute. (a somewhat 'squishy' armor set.) Does great.  Ton of damage too. Not Tanking Tyrant on him anytime soon, but there are Tanks who do that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Tacheyon said:

I did this on a Staff/Bio Brute.  Best.  Decision.  Evar!

You get it, you know what I'm talking about. Preach the Gospel of SPIN!

minus a point for not going with regen though. That's what manly man princesses would do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

1 hour ago, Nemu said:

minus a point for not going with regen though. That's what manly man princesses would do.

Yes, this is true.  But I was also in a phase where I was creating the most complex characters (in terms of stances).  Which is also why I also have a DP/Bio Sent.

I did make a SR/Staff Tanker that will take Spin2Win as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nemu said:

Staff/Regen or "How I mouse clicked my way to permanent disability."

Also want to try staff more but I cant handle the break dancing attack...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tacheyon said:

Yes, this is true.  But I was also in a phase where I was creating the most complex characters (in terms of stances).  Which is also why I also have a DP/Bio Sent.

I did make a SR/Staff Tanker that will take Spin2Win as well.

Ooh I forgot the 6 stances you can haz with Staff/Bio

Ok you get your manly maness back. 😁

• Like 1

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

31 minutes ago, txdragoon said:

I cant handle the break dancing attack...

Well buddy I have news for you....

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Sing it, sister!

image.thumb.png.b1b61783ffd9971f653dea46177aec19.png

That's cool and all but no whirlwind.

Take whirlwind, you will NOT regret it.

image.thumb.png.7b80227a3f8b4db863a50ca210937171.pngimage.png.3610218d39e4f46a5e470ea4bd24e094.png

She does a lot of Yoga.

• Haha 2

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

40 minutes ago, Xandyr said:

I have an Elec/Staff tank, FA/Staff tank, WP/Staff tank and a Rad/Staff tank.

WhirlwindWhirlwindWhirlwindWhirlwindWhirlwindWhirlwindWhirlwindWhirlwindWhirlwindWhirlwindWhirlwindWhirlwindWhirlwindWhirlwind!!!!

You should try whirlwind, that would be gist of what I'm trying to say.....

Edited by Nemu

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

6 hours ago, txdragoon said:

Also want to try staff more but I cant handle the break dancing attack...

Use Fly or Mystic flight.  It's less breakdancy, more mid-air twirly, but head remains above belt remains above feet. 

Of course, it's not totallllly dependable, more than a few mobs can drop you out of fly.  At the very least several in First Ward/Night Ward can. 

11 hours ago, Snarky said:

Any Brute will do well.  Period.  On Single origin enhancers at that.  You start to I/O a Brute and it does very well.  You I/O, Accolade and Incarnate a Brute and it does amazingly well.  You make a tight high end I/O build and balance the Incarnate powers and accolade the thing?  Fuggedaboutit.  You can take the weirdest combo and still have a incredibly strong character for Incarnate Trials.  Basically, whatever you try you are good, and could be golden if you invest some care into the character.

All of this is absolutely true. 

My current experiment is how a Psi Melee/Fiery Aura brute will fair doing First Ward and Night Ward at content (not flashbacked, but actually in the 20's and 30's, don't have all my slots, don't have extra powers from being exemplared down, etc... and won't have most accolades becuase it will be a character that will not leave Praetoria until dings 50.

I'm still assuming it will go decently well, becuase Fire Brutes F**k S**t Up. 

But I'm a little leary of how it will work against the Awakened with very limited Psii resist and limited defense at lvl 25 or so, when my pride hubris demands I run it at like +2x4.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 12:44 AM, InvaderStych said:

I don't know anything about ice melee so can't speak to it.  But an Ice/Rad brute could have some nice thematic synergy, if that's a metric by which you measure.

I run a Rad/Ice tank as my primary character and love it. Ice Melee is very good, it never has huge individual hits but Frozen Touch and Frost both are very fast dots that do great damage, and Frozen Aura is all that Foot Stomp greatness but with ice. Ice Patch is such an amazing survival tool and goes well with it all. Rad is very strong, and Ice Patch does a lot for cover the tiny holes to psi and ice when needed. Should be ever bit as good on a brute, though Frost will be slightly less impressive.

• Like 1

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

On 5/4/2021 at 5:37 PM, MTeague said:

My current experiment is how a Psi Melee/Fiery Aura brute

If you ever want to convert it to a farmer, here is something I was messing around with my Psi/Fire brute.

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Groundstrike: Level 50 Technology Brute
Primary Power Set: Psionic Melee
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Psi Blade -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(7)
Level 1: Fire Shield -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(7), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Blazing Aura -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(15)
Level 4: Healing Flames -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(15), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal(19)
Level 6: Telekinetic Blow -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(19), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 10: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(11)
Level 12: Concentration -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(25), GssSynFr--Build%(27)
Level 14: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(27)
Level 16: Temperature Protection -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(29)
Level 18: Psi Blade Sweep -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(33)
Level 20: Consume -- MckBrt-Taunt(A), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg(33), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(33), MckBrt-Acc/Rchg(34), MckBrt-Taunt/Rng(34), MckBrt-Rchg(34)
Level 22: Plasma Shield -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(36), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 24: Boxing -- Stg-Acc/Rchg(A), Stg-EndRdx/Stun(50), Stg-Acc/EndRdx(50)
Level 26: Greater Psi Blade -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Hct-Acc/Rchg(37), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Hct-Dam%(37)
Level 28: Tough -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 30: Burn -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(A), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(39), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(40), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), ScrDrv-Dam%(40), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(42)
Level 32: Mass Levitate -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Arm-Acc/Rchg(42), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Arm-Dam%(43), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43)
Level 35: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(45)
Level 38: Electrifying Fences -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(45), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Rgn-Knock%(46), Ann-ResDeb%(46)
Level 41: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(47)
Level 44: Ball Lightning -- Ann-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(47), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Ann-ResDeb%(49)
Level 47: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Core Superior Ally 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Musculature Total Core Revamp 
------------

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer