Redesign Brawl as an auto-attack based on your primary.

But... it already is an auto-attack with no endurance cost. Ctrl + click and it will attack automatically. And it goes with every powerset already since everyone can punch.

Can you describe better what you are looking for?

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

Currently, the most complicated attack in City of Heroes is Brawl specifically because, to utilize the various stances some powers put you in, it will change the animation.  So popping brawl with a Katana in your hand will give you a unique animation.  Same with popping it with an Assault Rifle or a Shield.

That being said, I feel the tier 1 (or tier 2 in the case of some powersets) is actually the auto-attack you're talking about.

• Like 3

CoH doesn't need to borrow this kinda mechanic from other MMOs/MOBAs, because it simply doesn't fit the way the game was engineered.

Having a spammy auto-attack that fires off every few seconds might work as a cheap DPS/Aggro tool in other games, but CoH's combat is designed with more thought and consideration into the various mechanics in the game, and tries to be more engaging than just sitting around passively inflicting damage/healing.

So you're right, it'll change the game... but certainly not for the better.

• Like 5

I'm of the opinion this is a great idea on paper but in execution I think it will make an easy game easier, or actually somehow more monotonous. With how animation lock works, I imagine having an auto attack going off between queueing attacks would just mean it'd make it harder to maneuver. 

• Like 2

I don't really see the need or rationale behind it.

The main issue with this is that the way powers and animations work is that you can't have two attacks firing at the same time. If Brawl was an auto-attack, and thus always animating if possible, it would disrupt a character's power rotation.

Additionally, Brawl's damage at higher levels is so pitifully weak against anything other than the weakest of minions. The time it takes to cast Brawl would be better spent on casting an actual power. To be honest, most T1 & T2 powers recharge fast enough that they may as well be auto-attacks. As the description for Brawl says, it's meant to be used as a last resort.

• Like 4

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

I typically have very either very fluid or complex rotations that don't have room for brawl. The only time in my opinion that brawl was useful is when it had a 33% chance at knocking a toggle off of a target. It was pretty useful in PvP in that regard especially if you knocked off someone's mez protection.

That all said, I don't see a need to change brawl.

Putting brawl or another quick recharge attack on auto does almost the same thing.  Although i assume it was meant to allow freedom of movement and casting another ability while auto attacking more like what warcraft has.

I would like to try having the ability to place 1 long (2+ minute) and 1 short (under 2 minute) cooldown abilities both on auto in a testing environment to see if it helps or hurts the game.  Basically 1 attack and 1 support ability on auto but not 2 of either.  It would probably encourage laziness though but ill never know for sure if i can never try.

2 hours ago, TheZag said:

I would like to try having the ability to place 1 long (2+ minute) and 1 short (under 2 minute) cooldown abilities both on auto in a testing environment to see if it helps or hurts the game.  Basically 1 attack and 1 support ability on auto but not 2 of either.  It would probably encourage laziness though but ill never know for sure if i can never try.

The problem with this is afk farming. The devs have already stated they aren't all that happy with it and this would just make it that bit more effective. Even if it was limited to one support power and one attack that would basically be used for burn and hasten (if only to cycle burn faster) in most cases. That limitation would also cut out the two most legitimate uses for two auto fires I can think of which is hasten and domination or hasten and clicky mez protection. Perhaps if a second auto fire could be allowed but only if both are used on support abilities then it might be more feasible?

I explicitly despise the autoattacking in other MMO games. It was always nothing more than a copycatted part of older MMO's from the oldest MMO's, because for some reason idiots thought that characters constantly flailing like idiots was an essential part of the experience, and that it really looks good to see animations twisting and contorting around non-stop autoattack plinking, movement, and your abilities that actually do the damage.

Autoattack gameplay is a hard no for any game I play. You put it in there, I don't bother with the game.

Edited by SaintD
  • Like 1

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak