[Beta] Patch Notes for May 28th, 2021

14 minutes ago, Mr. Vee said:

That's just not true anymore. When the TF was introduced there were no attuned IOs. Now my level 35 toons can outperform a 50 who's only SO'd on an LG. And frankly I'd take a 35 who knows the TF over a 50 who doesn't any day.

That may be so, but you don't know what people's builds are like when you invite them. High level TFs should remain high level.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I'm the one forming I'd be on a 50 and have the holds taken care of with myself or a friend before LFG would even hear about it. So I'd not particularly care what they're bringing. Of course mine are sort of self-selecting cuz my attention span only ever has me doing speed runs. But that's all kinda off topic for this thread anyway, sorry.

1 hour ago, Faultline said:

That should not be a problem. I do not think there are any Rikti critters that are 45+ only, but I could be wrong.

It's a slippery slope to change content to 40+ when 45+ has already been established. In all honesty, LGTF being 45+ makes more sense - thematically and conceptually. In terms of coordination/difficulty, I'd consider it right up there with MLTF and LRSF. I know players are capable of completing it at lower levels, but 45+ guarantees a better check and makes it less likely that folks will gatekeep teams to include 45+ only if they're bringing pugs along (which is what I'd do). If you lower it to 40+, I can guarantee you'll be inundated with requests to lower it to 35, then 30, then 25, and so on - which would go against the game's lore and conflict with major storylines.

I loved it when I noticed the change to 45+. I was disappointed when I saw this comment, though. 😞

Edited by Arli
typo/wording
  • Thanks 2

GVT questioning level gating in general to argue against raising LG is hardly the slippery slope, especially since it was last week, not for the last 2 years. But fine, yes, lower it all. I wanna  solo queue LRSF from the tutorial. And naturally, I feel entitled to such and would like to speak to a manager 😄

3 hours ago, Faultline said:

That should not be a problem. I do not think there are any Rikti critters that are 45+ only, but I could be wrong.

The LGFT is the culmination of the overall RWZ storyline, so making it level 40 would make it available to players before some of the story arcs that lead up to it.  You can certainly argue that the CoX timelines are so FUBAR in other places it doesn't matter, but I think it's worth bearing in mind.  It would be especially confusing for new players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

1 hour ago, Grouchybeast said:

The LGFT is the culmination of the overall RWZ storyline, so making it level 40 would make it available to players before some of the story arcs that lead up to it.  You can certainly argue that the CoX timelines are so FUBAR in other places it doesn't matter, but I think it's worth bearing in mind.  It would be especially confusing for new players.

Gaussian and Dark Watcher are both level 45+ contacts, and as you said the LGTF is the culmination of the story line.  It makes little sense to be able to run it prior.  In addition, the LGTF was clearly designed as an endgame TF, with the Riders and Hamidon, (even weakened).  It is the co-op endgame TF, analogous to the MLTF and LRSF.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Gaussian and Dark Watcher are both level 45+ contacts, and as you said the LGTF is the culmination of the story line.  It makes little sense to be able to run it prior.

Probably some mandela effect, but I could've also sworn on Live that you couldn't start the LGTF until you had conpleted Dark Watcher's story arc anyway, akin to how you can't start Katie Hannon until you finish up with Buck Salinger.  In fact Dark Watcher's arc still mentions something along the lines of "check with The Lady Grey as she has an assignment for you" once you wrap up his storyline.

• Like 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

On 5/31/2021 at 2:19 PM, Faultline said:

The badge or token check is on the contact, not the Task Force. When the check happens, it's no different to you talking to any of the contacts in your list, so no requirements are checked on your team. When the Task Force starts, there are checks on the story arc (task forces and story arcs are the same in this context) and those do check your team for requirements. For a player it's hard to differentiate the two since it all happens on the same window, but from this side there's a clear distinction on the checks that happen just when you talk to a contact, and the ones that happen when you try to start a story arc.

It seems to me like bringing the arc to 45 is good for other reasons (or at least 40 to avoid Rikti weirdness) but this explanation makes it sound like you could put a level requirement of 45 on the contact (and thus the TF), but 35 on the arc.

Edited by Replacement
  • Thanks 1

This seems like it's adding potential complication (and thus potential bugs) where complication isn't really needed. If it can be made to be 40 sure, but there are so many issues here I would tread lightly. I'd hate for this to turn into something that has to be constantly maintained because the changes to be made break a few things in unknown ways. To me that would be time better spent on other things.

@Faultlines explanations show that she/he knows what she/he is doing, but those explanations show again that the way COH is put together is basically duct tape and thin thread ins some areas.

On 6/2/2021 at 11:24 AM, Replacement said:

It seems to me like bringing the arc to 45 is good for other reasons (or at least 40 to avoid Rikti weirdness) but this explanation makes it sound like you could put a level requirement of 45 on the contact (and thus the TF), but 35 on the arc.

Even with my last post, I'd say the option here ofcourse is to try it in the test environment (not the staging environment) and see what does or doesn't break with the TF. 

• Booper locked this topic