Repel Ball

Just watched an old (and terribly low quality) video from the legacy days (circa 2007) when Repel Ball was a short lived, but fun little past time. I recommend turning off sound. I was the biggest player on the field in the video 😁

Β 

Setup at the time:

1 Mastermind (acts as the officiant and 'ball' (aka mastermind pet) controller for when the 'ball' gets stuck)

8 Kinetic Powerset players with Repel (4v4)

Base with field for set up game

RequiredΒ base raid functionality for Mastermind pet to experience the repel effect

Β 

Β 

Anyone else remember this? Or play a similar mini-game?

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well I must admit I have no idea what this is.Β  Looks like fun though.Β  Love the song pick too.Β  Fun song to drum to (yes, I'm a drummer).

Β 

Did someone make that in a SG base?Β  Or is that actually part of the game I completely missed?

• Like 1

Want to see my current list of characters?Β  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!Β  Β Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:Β  Β KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Β 

2 minutes ago, KauaiJim said:

Well I must admit I have no idea what this is.Β  Looks like fun though.Β  Love the song pick too.Β  Fun song to drum to (yes, I'm a drummer).

Β 

Did someone make that in a SG base?Β  Or is that actually part of the game I completely missed?

Yeah it was made in an SG base. Custom design, not sure by who.

Β 

It was pretty fun! I imagine it could work with other repel powersets (storm, FF, Sonic, even Energy Blast?) but it didn't take off enough to experiment with different play types.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later

Reading through the "What are you guys doing to revive pvp" post, and saw this one linked.

Β 

We did this a couple times in my SG base on Live and was a lot of fun.Β  UIT on Torchbearer/Homecoming hosted something like this recently in the Coliseum map via the arena, with a 3-team match; 1 team consisted of 1 player "The Ball", and the other 2 teams were 6v6 level 2 /martial blasters using only Ki Punch.Β  It was all kinds of fun.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**Β Β 

"The Defenders of Talos"Β #44578Β **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**Β Β 

2 hours ago, Jiro Ito said:

Reading through the "What are you guys doing to revive pvp" post, and saw this one linked.

Β 

We did this a couple times in my SG base on Live and was a lot of fun.Β  UIT on Torchbearer/Homecoming hosted something like this recently in the Coliseum map via the arena, with a 3-team match; 1 team consisted of 1 player "The Ball", and the other 2 teams were 6v6 level 2 /martial blasters using only Ki Punch.Β  It was all kinds of fun.

Β 

And our team won =D

• Like 1

Natch πŸ˜‰

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 

"The Defenders of Talos"Β #44578Β **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**Β Β 

On 6/8/2021 at 11:25 AM, Hyperstrike said:

That's kinda why I built a repel-ball field in my base

Β 

Repel-Ball.thumb.jpg.f3fa8ad03561806fe5e3d8067a1b504b.jpge.

Outstanding!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I dug through my old screenshots and found a pic of how we did it back on Live.

Β 

screenshot_2008-01-18-19-42-21.thumb.jpg.81b2d77e3ad2e052a05c542a6acaf3b9.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 4:58 PM, Cancrusher said:

This is awesome!Β  I wonder if a variation using a random object spawned by propel would be possible?Β  I guess you would need a targetable enemy for that to work, though...Β πŸ€”

I'm thinking of how Gravity's Propel objects bounce around like an inflated ball... I don't know if such objects can be targeted with like Repel powers or anything other than collision boxes though.Β  Still though, there's a game for you right there.

Β 

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•

6 hours ago, TheZag said:

Unfortunately,Β  even if you were able to spawn an object from propel inside a base,Β  each client handles how it bounces around.Β  After a short time,Β  each player no longer sees the same bounces.

Ah, I see.Β  Sadness.

15 hours ago, TheZag said:

Unfortunately,Β  even if you were able to spawn an object from propel inside a base,Β  each client handles how it bounces around.Β  After a short time,Β  each player no longer sees the same bounces.

Those floating test dummy thingies (which I know very little about) could let you spawn the bouncing forklift, but yeah, then that other problem there...Β  time to just throw this one on the Devs' doorstep and go

cc8cce0352e9b17e0c615c2e403c3c6f.jpg

Β 

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•

I am still holding out for aΒ Giant Red Ball to appear in the bay in Kallisti Wharf, I know, it's a very old Dead Horse, but still worth bringing up.Β 

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Marine X

10 minutes ago, Marine X said:

I am still holding out for aΒ Giant Red Ball to appear in the bay in Kallisti Wharf, I know, it's a very old Dead Horse, but still worth bringing up.Β 

Β 

Only if it is called the "Please, Please Tell Me Ball."

Β 

On 3/19/2022 at 6:58 AM, TheZag said:

Β 

Confused by this - fully believe it to be true - but I am confused as to how this doesn't happen in missions when using knock?Β  Example: I send a mob flying with something like Ki Push, fellow teammates go to the place I see the mob land.

Β 

Is there something different in bases/AE or wherever these matches were happening?

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

39 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Confused by this - fully believe it to be true - but I am confused as to how this doesn't happen in missions when using knock?Β  Example: I send a mob flying with something like Ki Push, fellow teammates go to the place I see the mob land.

Β 

Is there something different in bases/AE or wherever these matches were happening?

Β 

NPC and player positions are updated server side and then reported to the client so your game knows where to draw them.

Β 

Physics objects are only spawned server side.Β  After that each persons game client handles how they move around.Β  If every leaf that fell from a tree and all the bullet casings from full auto were handled by the server then the bandwidth usage and lag would probably freeze the server.

Β 

Larger physics objects like those from propel are still handled client side.Β  Have a friend in a different zone shoot an enemy with propel then zone in and go to them.Β  They will see the propel object and you wont because you werent in the area when the server spawned it.Β  After the initial spawn the server never updates it again.

Β 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TheZag said:

Physics objects are only spawned server side.Β  After that each persons game client handles how they move around.Β  If every leaf that fell from a tree and all the bullet casings from full auto were handled by the server then the bandwidth usage and lag would probably freeze the server.

Β 

Gotcha.Β  I was conflating two different kinds of objects there.Β  Missed the part where we were talking about things spawned by the power Propel vs. an actual NPC (or in the video a pet) object.

Β 

Thanks!

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

A couple years ago I helped one GM actually test out a round of repel ball in Kallisti Wharf on a bridge. They stated they were trying to figure out how best to make it more appealing to the player base. Perhaps the time has come. Sadly I don't remember the GM's handle that was working on it.

Β 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

A couple years ago I helped one GM actually test out a round of repel ball in Kallisti Wharf on a bridge. They stated they were trying to figure out how best to make it more appealing to the player base. Perhaps the time has come. Sadly I don't remember the GM's handle that was working on it.

Β 

Jimmy was obviously getting too close to completing this and they got to him!

Β 

Jokes aside, that's cool, it;s good to know they were at least uh kicking around the idea seriously.

• Haha 1

Β 

Go have fun!