New to tankers. Can I skip taunt?

Dahkness

2 hours ago, MrAxe said:

You can skip it. Just be sure to make good use of your taunt aura. Although as a recent mental ITF filled with suicidal squishies taught me, it pays to have a taunt with range. There may be situations where you wish you had it but in general you'll be fine.

Suicidal squishies never bothered me. They are having fun pushing the envelope and sometimes the envelope pushes back. Once they die 4-6 times they either hang back or keep having fun envelope pushing.

I do like it when the squishies (blasters usually) decide to do their own thing and start pulling the mobs themselves in random directions, creating mayhem, thinking they are amazing......until they start dying whilst i am off rounding mobs up to pulverise. It is not long before the " this Tank is crap omg" comments start lol. I just laugh as they are on the other side of the map lol. I follow no one unless agreed to do so earlier. I fear no one.... I am a Tank!.

If they don't explain their tactics or refuse to follow the Tank then that is their fault and no amount of Taunts will save those numpties 😛

• 2 months later
  • Retired Game Master

Hami raids require taunt team to have taunt. Trying to use auras to keep a mito taunted is doomed to fail. His aoe attack will be slamming the melee team repeatedly and people will be sad and you will be laughed at by proper tanks and their accountants,

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, GM HoneyBadger said:

Hami raids require taunt team to have taunt. Trying to use auras to keep a mito taunted is doomed to fail. His aoe attack will be slamming the melee team repeatedly and people will be sad and you will be laughed at by proper tanks and their accountants,

Truth. I was laughed at when requested to taunt the mitos and said I didn't have Taunt. I explained I don't build for 0.1% of the content.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most, but not all, of my tanks skip taunt.  It's nice to have at least one tank With taunt in your stable.

• Like 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE.

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard*, ..., 801.5 Moderate**, ..., 801.6 Hard***, ..., 801.7 Four Star****, ... 801.F Death.

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

On 8/30/2021 at 1:46 AM, tidge said:

I tend not to think about using Taunt on Hamidon as much as I think about using Taunt on Lord Recluse.

For some reason, I initially read the first part of your post as "I tend not to think about using Taunt on Hamilton....." and was immediately confused. 🙂

Everyone, if you take Taunt on a build, at what level do you get it?

4 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Everyone, if you take Taunt on a build, at what level do you get it?

I build all my tanks to Exemp down, as far as Posi1, so 8, 10 or 12.  

As an aside, with all the P2W freebie attacks, I also load up the first 12 levels with primaries, then travel at 14 (yes, I'm old school).

• Thanks 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

recently played +4x8 kill most ITF on fire/psi tanker with no taunt

nobody died, some complained at the beginning but stopped after first mission

disclaimer: i don’t tank for hami raids (generally avoid them) and PVE-hero lone-rangers don’t factor into my build strategy

On 8/29/2021 at 3:11 PM, Dark Dove said:

I've gone to the Everlasting hami raids a few times with no-taunt tanks, I wasn't ever laughed at but I did feel the cold stare of disdain. It could have just been the normal cold stare of disdain I get when I join any team or event though.

It's just tauntless tanks are kind of in an awkward spots for a Hami raid. They can run ahead to punchvoke a yellow but they won't completely hold agro when the melee team comes in. If they follow with the melee team, they pull just enough agro to get some shots in on the team normally.

I get it though so I don't complain I just occasionally ask people about it to make sure it was a choice, sometimes people just don't know. Also for people on Everlasting I am willing to give 20 million influence to fund an SO alternate build for raids with taunt as that makes them more effective there if they swap builds at the raid and swap back to their regular one after.

Why not have both?  You do have access to 3 builds on a character. 

If I need to hop onto my tank for the team it's usually for a certain purpose where having taunt will be a factor.  If not I'd just stay on me blast0r.  But I do have a second damage build on my tauntless tank in case I just feel like playing the tank.  

Edited by Mezmera

18 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

Why not have both?  You do have access to 3 builds on a character.

An extra build is IMO useful for Tankers and end-game content, since it is also possible to make use of boosted (50+5) pieces instead of attuned pieces that may be used on other content. We can argue (as with anything) about the marginal improvements from running with 50+5 pieces, but for end-game content with debuffs the "margins" could end up being meaningful.

Even without considering the use of boosted pieces, having a "team-friendly" build with Taunt may motivate the player to leverage some other team-friendly powers from the Leadership pool, which IIRC was boosted on Homecoming for Tanks as well.

2 hours ago, tidge said:

An extra build is IMO useful for Tankers and end-game content, since it is also possible to make use of boosted (50+5) pieces instead of attuned pieces that may be used on other content. We can argue (as with anything) about the marginal improvements from running with 50+5 pieces, but for end-game content with debuffs the "margins" could end up being meaningful.

Multiple builds can be complex and expensive for a Level 50.  They're a nightmare to manage while levelling.  Partly due to the cooldown between swapping them, etc.  Requires doing support like taking screenshots of tray layouts to keep the different builds as close to the same layout as possible.

I find boosting works best when an enhancement aspect hasn't already gone deep into the ED adjusted ranges.  A good example is the 5th IO in Purple sets, the Damage/Endurance Reduction one.  It helps improve the Purple sets low total Endurance Reduction.  And when wanting to make sure an enhancement aspect is deep into ED ranges, as with 2x L50 Common Recharge Reduction IOs in Hasten or other long recharge powers.  Because of their reciprocal nature, enough boosting to get Endurance Reduction and/or Recharge Reduction into the 2nd or 3rd tier of ED is about the most that's worth while, because they will not significantly improve with more boosting.