The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Whirlwind and Staff Fighting don't mix animations well.

ZorkNemesis

I wanted to try my hand at a "Spin to win" build by using Staff Fighting and Whirlwind from the Speed pool.  Turns out the attack animations from Staff Fighting don't cooperate with Whirlwind that well, as many of my staff attacks are using the same animation as Eye of the Storm.  It certainly fits the concept, but it sure is confusing.

EDIT: Video

https://imgur.com/a/UNyNXxr

Edited by ZorkNemesis
People wanted a video

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

12 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

I wanted to try my hand at a "Spin to win" build by using Staff Fighting and Whirlwind from the Speed pool.  Turns out the attack animations from Staff Fighting don't cooperate with Whirlwind that well, as many of my staff attacks are using the same animation as Eye of the Storm.  It certainly fits the concept, but it sure is confusing.

I was wondering what would happen with that combo.  Started a staff build recently and loving  it.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

By popular demand, here's some video footage.  I had Whirlwind going and I primarily attacked with Precise Strike, Serpent's Reach and Guarded Spin.  It's not 100% guarenteed to get the Eye of the Storm animation, but it seems to happen more often if Whirlwind's animation is allowed to spin up (pun intended).  The EotS animation also isn't interrupted by using other attacks before it ends.

https://imgur.com/a/UNyNXxr

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

14 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

I wanted to try my hand at a "Spin to win" build by using Staff Fighting and Whirlwind from the Speed pool.  Turns out the attack animations from Staff Fighting don't cooperate with Whirlwind that well, as many of my staff attacks are using the same animation as Eye of the Storm.

So, basically, you made a pole dancer who carries her pole with her.

• Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

3 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I think that's amazing and I want to try it.... until I remember the endurance cost of Whirlwind. 

Actually hasn't been a problem for my build.  With Staff/Bio, running with Form of Soul and Efficient Adaptation on endurance is moot, and Efficient adds a recovery boost to Ablative Carapace too.  Even without Bio, Form of Soul should help offset the end cost of Whirlwind; it won't affect the end drain on the KBs but with an overall end discount you shouldn't be hurting too bad.

Edited by ZorkNemesis
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I think that's amazing and I want to try it.... until I remember the endurance cost of Whirlwind. 

Besides the end cost savings mentioned by ZN, it kind of looks like it is about the right end cost when compared to Telekinesis, but more expensive than Repel and Sonic Repulsion. 

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

12 hours ago, JayboH said:

Besides the end cost savings mentioned by ZN, it kind of looks like it is about the right end cost when compared to Telekinesis, but more expensive than Repel and Sonic Repulsion. 

Ah interesting. I've only dabbled with Whirlwind during testing, it seemed rather high as I careened in to a group of enemies. 

50 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Ah interesting. I've only dabbled with Whirlwind during testing, it seemed rather high as I careened in to a group of enemies. 

It is high, I was just comparing those other powers from City of Data

• Thumbs Up 1

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

The power has a pretty high base end cost to begin with (0.98/second) and also drains 1.5 end each time it tries to throw something away.  The -1.5 end can't be adjusted since it's part of the power effect.  It's a very end heavy power even with slotting so you have to find ways to make it work.  It's pretty nice having a knockdown aura when you can manage it though.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later