What AT's are overpowered? Or underpowered?

aeb

3 hours ago, arcane said:

FYI, I was legit interested in your toon but your video doesn’t show much very clearly. I cannot tell that you are soloing or that what your powers are at a glance.

Was interested as well but soloing this is not.  Full team in the mish, most likely all 3 MM's Bots are engaging(there are 3 Long Bow Lore bosses) the blasters endurance is utilized a lot which would indicate they are well...blasting.  Now if he can post a 3min time really truly solo would love to see it.

Edited by Ghidorah
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, arcane said:

FYI, I was legit interested in your toon but your video doesn’t show much very clearly. I cannot tell that you are soloing or that what your powers are at a glance.

What is that, Bots I think cuz I see a burn patch? Do I see Elec Affinity? I thought I saw two Longbow bosses hence the question about soloing.

Here's my guide I wrote. That video is of my Robot team - electric/time/kinetic. But I have a few different MM teams i powerfarm with.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghidorah said:

Was interested as well but soloing this is not.  Full team in the mish, most likely all 3 MM's Bots are engaging(there are 3 Long Bow Lore bosses) the blasters endurance is utilized a lot which would indicate they are well...blasting.  Now if he can post a 3min time really truly solo would love to see it.

First I'm a She. 😋

Second, I don't know how to post a video myself. Someone did that for me. But that blaster isn't even fully leveled or slotted, they were being power leveled. So... not sure how much help they were. But if you want to come to Everlasting sometime I can show it, sure. Or read my guide, few folks I leveled left comments.

On 7/14/2021 at 5:23 PM, aeb said:

Thank you. As I said, I'm curious. I've played pretty much daily since Homecoming started, but it was my first MMO... I'm late to that genre of game. So I feel like I'm still learning a lot. 🙂

I've been playing over a year and a half now, and I'm still learning new stuff. That's what makes it fun.

Incidentally, I'm not of the min-maxing or even soft capping camps. I prefer to think of being over powered and under powered as dependent on your play style and strategy. The best built toon can be crap in the hands of an amateur. In the same breath, I have toons that don't visit the trainer from level 1 - no other powers, no slots, not even rest. 

It's not a pissing contest, so just enjoy and play what floats your goat. pick the powers you like, don't get the ones you don't like, slot what tickles your fancy and don't let anyone else say you're doing it wrong. It boils down to how good you look doing it -- so craft the hell out of that costume! 😃

except capes. capes are definitely underpowered.

It seems to me it's less "what's OP and what's UP" versus "what works with my playstyle and what doesn't".

For example, I personally don't really "get" blasters that well (waaaaay to squishy for my playstyle), but I've seen other people play them amazingly well.  I've found, to my surprise, that I tend to prefer Defenders over Corruptors due to the Defenders' increased buff numbers helping with survivability (when I screw up, I tend to screw up badly, and I like to be able to get out of it without dying if possible).  Also, the few times I've tried a WS or PB have been... less than fun for me, but some people can absolutely destroy with them.

It's more a matter of what's OP or UP for you than for general game content, and I think that the way the original devs made the game so that so many playstyles can be successful is nothing short of brilliant.

Edited by Shocktacular
  • Thumbs Up 3

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

On 10/24/2021 at 8:38 AM, Force Redux said:

The idea of underpowered or overpowered ATs is laughable. This isn't those other MMOs where dev nerfs or buffs rotate on quarterly basis (ESO, looking at you).

ATs are a playstyle. A playstyle is neither overpowered or underpowered. It just is your approach to solving conflict. Now, that said, CoH mostly appreciates a blunt-force hammer to the face approach to solving problems, hence ATs with high DPS with strong AoE (blasters) can feel like they are performing over the midpoint. Sure, if you measure your personal satisfaction from pure dps, then Blaster (or Scrapper or Brute) is your go-to OP AT.

But it is the actual indicator for OP or UP? Nope, that's your powersets. Not all Brutes are equal. Fire/BIo and Kinetic/Super Reflexes are two totally different beasts. And those same power sets in a different AT are going to perform differently as well.

Masterminds as C tier? Sure, if you like AoE spamming mobs. But MMs have proven able to tackle GMs, AVs, farms and everything in between. So, actually, have all ATs. Just when you think no one can take a set of powersets and solo an Imperious Task Force, someone posts a vid doing it on a Psi/Emp Defender.

So don't ask which ATs are performing -they all perform well enough - even Sentinels (which are gernally rated as 'mediocre'). But its the power sets that are gong to make or break your decision about how well powered they are - well, that and your gameplay. I cannot take a Emp Defender and solo an ITF, but there are people who can do it just fine. 

Trick Arrow, for example, used to be a miserable set. I found it only worked functionally back on Live when i paired it with Illusion Control, where it did reasonably well. Mid-tier. But with another AT? In the basement. 

But now, after the fixes to Trick Arrow, I'd call it A tier on my Defender. A+ on my controller, and B+ on my Mastermind.  Its not the AT, its the powers. And the player.

For anyone reading this who still cares enough to have a list of easy choices for leveling and getting into the game, here's my list of 'OP':

Demons/Time mastermind.

Time/Dual Pistols mastermind.

Fire/Super Reflexes sentinel

Ice/Ice blaster

Willpower/Martial Arts tanker

for starters. 

Enjoy.

Interesting choices. My fire/super-reflexes sentinel is my only character who can, while street sweeping in the Rikti War Zone, take on a Evil Boss, back into a mostly-purple mob, and more often than not, not end up in the hospital. 🙂

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, aeb said:

Interesting choices. My fire/super-reflexes sentinel is my only character who can, while street sweeping in the Rikti War Zone, take on a Evil Boss, back into a mostly-purple mob, and more often than not, not end up in the hospital. 🙂

Nice! Yes, it's a really robust combo for a Sentinel 

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

On 7/13/2021 at 7:09 AM, aeb said:

Which got me tondering which AT's are overpowered? Also, which are under powered?

It's a matter of perspective, experience, power choices, enhancement slotting, and game-style preferences.

They are all meant to be balanced.

The balance becomes increasingly obvious as you fill a team to 8.

Solo, there are obvious differences especially if you are rating archetypes based on damage per second (aka DPS). In this case, there is even DPS variations within an archetype based on the powers picked and how they are enhanced to the extent that it may change their standing in regard to DPS versus other archetypes based on their powers picked and how they are enhanced.

I'm a character conception player so I avoid the cookie-cutter.

Overpowered or underpowered isn't really an issue to me.

I just like exploring the game and the power sets and figuring out things that I can do with the powers that we have access to.

We each play the game the way that we - hopefully - enjoy it the most.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• 2 weeks later

Controllers and Defenders (and to a lesser extent Corrupters, Dominators and Masterminds) are the best because they have the most fun and interesting powers! 😎

Melee and Blaster ATs are the weakest because all they can do is hit stuff, and well,  anyone can do that! 😴

😄

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

• 2 weeks later
On 12/31/2021 at 11:40 AM, DreadShinobi said:

Oof! Not a fan of villain archetypes?

I don’t mind MMs and Dominators a little but not a huge fan. Nothing to do with them being villain ATs either. But corrupters have weaker buff/debuff modifiers than Defenders and get their powers later, MMs have even weaker and more end costs on all their powers and babysitting pets can be a chore, and Doms don’t have any buffs/debuffs and I find the ‘Perma Dom’ concept frustrating to maintain. They also have weaker damage than my Defender since they get assault sets not blast sets (so no nukes!).

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, Peacemoon said:

But corrupters have weaker buff/debuff modifiers than Defenders and get their powers later...

Their buff/debuff powers later yes, but Corruptors get their blasting powers sooner. Moreover the difference between when they get powers varies with level.

Tier 1: 0 level difference

Tier 2: 1 level difference

Tier 3: 2 level difference

Tier 4: 4 level difference

Tier 5: 8 level difference

Tier 6: 8 level difference

Tier 7: 10 level difference

Tier 8: 9 level difference

Tier 9: 6 level difference

The speed of levelling is hardly universal but personally I am going to have Tier 6 powers on the secondary somewhere around the 2nd hour play. So will have waited the duration of a TF (probably Posi 2) to have gotten that T6 secondary power over when I would have gotten it on the other AT. Different strokes for different folks and all but that is insignificant in the life and amount of play I will be doing on any character.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

Their buff/debuff powers later yes, but Corruptors get their blasting powers sooner. Moreover the difference between when they get powers varies with level.

Tier 1: 0 level difference

Tier 2: 1 level difference

Tier 3: 2 level difference

Tier 4: 4 level difference

Tier 5: 8 level difference

Tier 6: 8 level difference

Tier 7: 10 level difference

Tier 8: 9 level difference

Tier 9: 6 level difference

The speed of levelling is hardly universal but personally I am going to have Tier 6 powers on the secondary somewhere around the 2nd hour play. So will have waited the duration of a TF (probably Posi 2) to have gotten that T6 secondary power over when I would have gotten it on the other AT. Different strokes for different folks and all but that is insignificant in the life and amount of play I will be doing on any character.

Yep aware this is purely subjective but for me I prefer the buff/debuff primary of the defender and the higher numbers they give from power pools, and actually I prefer vigilance! Both solo and in a team. I was just asked why I rated Defender/Controller higher. Don’t want to turn this thread into a corruptor vs defender thread!
Meanwhile I accept it more on Controllers because they have such interesting primaries that having their secondary later isn’t such an issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

Retired, October 2022.