If City of Heroes were remade entirely today...

Thrythlind

On 7/31/2021 at 11:58 PM, Pixie_Knight said:

That said, I do find it amusing that WoW became such a massive juggernaut

It had the advantage of an already in-built fanbase of loyalists who were unaware that the Blizzard they loved (BlizzardNorth) had already been dissolved and the Blizzard they were going to (then just Blizzard, now Activison-Blizzard) were not the same. Once they got entrenched in the game, they didn't want to leave, which is much the same here.

That said, the WoW of today is much different than the WoW of yesteryear. Our CoH has changed, too, but not to the same drastic shift as they have.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

3 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

It had the advantage of an already in-built fanbase of loyalists who were unaware that the Blizzard they loved (BlizzardNorth) had already been dissolved and the Blizzard they were going to (then just Blizzard, now Activison-Blizzard) were not the same. Once they got entrenched in the game, they didn't want to leave, which is much the same here.

That said, the WoW of today is much different than the WoW of yesteryear. Our CoH has changed, too, but not to the same drastic shift as they have.

Blizzard North was Diablo 1 and 2 wasn't it? I think Warcraft was normal Blizzard. 

1 hour ago, A Cat said:

Blizzard North was Diablo 1 and 2 wasn't it? I think Warcraft was normal Blizzard. 

I guess that's true, but much of the life and goodwill Blizzard had was due to North. The company became a shell when the studio was closed.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Jiggle physics.

I don't follow, I'm a visual person, help me out here...

🤣

• Haha 2

If a modern City of Heroes game were being completely made from scratch today, it would probably either be a single-player action RPG with optional multiplayer, set a few years after the original CoH, telling the story of Battalion and the Coming Storm's arrival in a more modern game-format... or it would be a crappy Raid Shadow Legends-esque cash-grab app game with no real story.

A single-player CoH would more easily accommodate some of the things people are asking for in this thread, like more destructible environments, player choices changing the game world, etc. It is not likely to ever happen, but it could... in theory.

Traditional MMORPGs seem to me to be very nearly a thing of the past. Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like it's been a long time since one was a big-time commercial success. Twenty years ago, they were the wave of the future, but the wave seems to have broken and washed back out to sea. It is difficult for me to imagine a circumstance, even in theory, where a City of Heroes 2 would get greenlit for development as a traditional MMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

well updated graphics is a no brainier. some video cards now have more memory than the computers did total back when it was "live". back on live at first storage racks held 1000 items each, but with the "creative" way some were built they corrupted the base. so they lowered the storage racks size.  I could see some overhaul of bases, add items so that instead of 10 to 15 "sub" items only have one. would not change the  missions and story much, might lose the "flavor" of the game. I do like the "cleanup" of the game they have done. hated the snipers in PI. instead of having a third party  app to keep track of your badges( I have 1050 on main) some way to export into a spread sheet for the character, and let us know which ones we  have and don't have. and while it is nice to know that I have 7 of 8 badges needed for a accolade. it would be nice to have the one that I am "missing" to be able to work on getting that one. to finish out the badge.

• Overwatch style graphics, this graphics style is very popular right now and works extremely well to highlight unique character designs, it can be colourful and still be grim at times.
  • A theme/lore that doesn't piggyback at all off established superhero mantra. Avengers, DC Universe? It's all been done a million times time to split off and create something a bit more unique which would be Adult in nature. (For me the Invincible series managed this)
  • Embrace the ideas that made City of Heroes mechanically superior, every mission being a 'raid', excellent chat system. Have every mission scale to 24 people instead and make Arch-Villains/Heroes deadlier, maybe some missions require people to group up. The open world should not be limited by the Rikti walls, instead I should be able to fly from Atlas to Mercy Island if I so chose.
  • Open world PVP and territory control with a fully dynamic destructible environment, work on aerial Hero v Villain battles to make fighting in the air feel as visceral as Zod v Superman.
  • IO System is good but suffers badly from power creep, something new needs to be done with itemization, I'd make crafting it's own class. Your mad scientist character is actually the go-to guy to get gear from.
  • Allow player-characters to adapt and change the story outcomes of the actual games story. (Matrix Online did this iirc where key characters were Roleplayed by Devs at huge events)

So basically Overwatch MMO with a GTA-esque open world coupled with SWG's crafting system, where crafting was extremely complex indepth and time critical and Warframe style combat that scales up to 24 player in 'normal' missions that turn into raids in large groups.

Edited by Latex

On 8/6/2021 at 7:07 PM, Gigajoule said:

Traditional MMORPGs seem to me to be very nearly a thing of the past. Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like it's been a long time since one was a big-time commercial success. Twenty years ago, they were the wave of the future, but the wave seems to have broken and washed back out to sea. It is difficult for me to imagine a circumstance, even in theory, where a City of Heroes 2 would get greenlit for development as a traditional MMO.

Sadly agreed. I think the future of the "MMO" genre is something like Genshin Impact: action-RPG (no tab targeting), mostly single player with optional multiplayer, casual-friendly, unethical monetization scheme (gacha).

Edited by Miss Magical