If City of Heroes were remade entirely today...

Thrythlind

I would like a story that effects change. The story evolves and some new NPCs and arcs arrive while some old NPCs and arcs go away (maybe to Ouroboros).

I want zone events that alter the zone for awhile depending on how the players responded to the event. Instead of, for example, a week of random Rikti invasions that few people bother with, I'd want one or two large, singular Rikti events that damage the streets and tear down buildings and leaves the zone in disarray... unless the heroes (or villains) showed up en masse to save the day (or thwart the invaders). Then, over the course of a month or more, you'd see construction crews repairing the streets and rebuilding. There could be missions where you help the effort as well. If the players managed to defeat the Rikti event, you'd get a RO (Rikti Origin) enhancement and badges galore, and the zone damage might be less.

I want more supers and I want to fight more supers. I want random or faction-appropriate supers showing up in my missions or ambushes unannounced. I want to be clearing some Council cave in the middle of some story arc, for instance, and there's Vandal with some line about seeking revenge (if I had completed Citadel's TF) or some quip about having been at the right base at the right time or something. Or red side, when I steel the nullifier gun from Longbow and I trigger an ambush, I want a random chance that Ms. Liberty is going to jump me instead of just a couple dumb eagles.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, TraumaTrain said:

I would like a story that effects change. The story evolves and some new NPCs and arcs arrive while some old NPCs and arcs go away (maybe to Ouroboros).

This already happens redside. You can flat out kill a contact, and thats it for them. Their phone just rings and rings and rings. I think that is better than removing from the list, as there is a legacy in your contact list that speaks to the killing.

7 hours ago, Thrythlind said:

More investigative / environmental mechanics... a lot of the original game was built from fighting as a base and a lot of other stuff is kind of tacked on... but it would be nice to do a lot of disaster rescues and the like.

Some combat powers would have some investigative/environmental missions (melt debris, for instance) and vice-versa, but not so common.

I'm all for disaster rescues.  It's interesting you bring that up.  Marvel Cinematic Universe has stated that with the recent The Falcon & The Winter Soldier miniseries that they began to look into a new role for superheroes, one more tuned to first responders than to warriors.

7 hours ago, Ironblade said:

I would like the ability to close opened windows by hitting 'Escape'.  Every modern game has this capability.

5hxg7f.jpg.cc05051a1fb347fd42ef71e15fee1f2d.jpg

6 hours ago, Apparition said:

In addition to updated graphics, I would primarily like grappling, wall crawling, motorcycle riding, and car driving as travel power options.

I would add that any version of super speed should have electrostatic adhesion to vertical surfaces.  Should be better than our current super speed which cannot go up buildings and other walls.

5 hours ago, Tachstar said:

Individual fingers. Hair that moves. An underwater moon base. And fishing.

Fishing?

Tony Stark Eye Roll Meme Generator Template

Well if we get f..f...*cough*...fishing in this theoretical from-scratch game, I'd suggest adding several other mini-games common to a big city, like pool in pool halls.  Might be good for undercover work.  Or chess in the park.

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

All enemies, mission maps and bases would be created after, and only after, carefully and fully reading through the entire Evil Overlord list.

Twice.

HEAR HEAR!  I frequently quote from that list.  And make sure all architectural designs for said bases are run past a 5-year-old child.  Any flaws he finds should be immediately addressed before building.

1 hour ago, TraumaTrain said:

I want zone events that alter the zone for awhile depending on how the players responded to the event.

The first line sounds like a Bioware MMO, which I'm cool with.

The second line reminds me of the control point forts in the late, lamented Tabula Rasa MMO.  Loved taking and holding those forts to do the mission chains that opened up with the victory.

AS TO WHAT I MIGHT LIKE TO SEE:

1. The aforementioned wall running adhesion for speedsters.

2. A big city that is richer in look and feel.  There should be ethnic communities like Little China, Little Italy, Czech Town, etc.  I want to see multi-generational architecture, and shops that are more numerous in variety and with many more that you can enter.

3.  Vendors more rooted in city life.  I want to get my 1-hour endurance buzz from a barista in the overpriced Dunkin' Bucks coffee shop, a 1-hour hit point boost by getting a pierogi from a cart vendor on a corner, and get my temporary grappling hook by trading in a day job coupon at the register at the Paragon Harbor Freight store, rather than some spandex-clad dude or dame or small furry creature from Alpha Centauri standing beneath a statue somewhere.

4. Building interiors that make logical sense.

5. Dynamic street gangs.  No more standing around while the hero deals with another mob in visual range.  More movement altogether.

6. Destroyable terrain, trees, etc.  Obviously, they'll need to be reset at some point for the next player, but it might be interesting to have to deal with an altered terrain for a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'd love to see the city transform based on my character's actions - a game-wide, aggressive implementation of the phasing mechanism.  Hazard zones would remain hazardous, of course, but I'd love to be able to walk through neighborhoods where I've actually 'improved' things for the people who live there.

Or, redside, where I take out a gang boss and now his minions are neutral to me and acknowledge that I'm a big man on campus in their territory.

Also, I'd love implemented weather effects and to have the city change with the seasons.  I know it's a lot of work for basically no gameplay change, but seeing snow on the ground in the winter makes the game world seem so much more alive!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Fishing?

Not just fishing, but also PVP fishing! And fishing raids! Put those empty and heretofore purposeless watery expanses around Talos Island and Peregrine Island to good use!

/e Limpet Thrum

• Haha 4

I never understand threads like this. This game, that so many of us missed...and missed a lot...some of you just want to change it. 

I fully get that folks might get tired of the same content. But - there's still a ton of it, and a lot that many players have yet to experience. 

Sure, there might be some options the costume creator could benefit from, but heck, my wardrobe could benefit from more options too. 

If I'm gonna play a game of "What if", it'll be about money. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ukase said:

I never understand threads like this. This game, that so many of us missed...and missed a lot...some of you just want to change it.

Yes. You *can* love something and miss something and still want to make it better or play "what if" with it. I don't see what's hard to understand about that.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I think it would be interesting if the Costume Creator had a small almost Photoshop aspect to allow Texture Mods that would show in game. Things such as dents and dings, weathering and wear, scars and spots, even hair, would expand the appearance options enormously. I believe that one of the biggest things that Star Wars accomplished was that unlike SciFi Movies before it, everything looked USED instead of brand new, and a bit more organic, which made it's worlds seem more realistic. I think it would do the same in a game. 

A pop menu allowing you to chose voice audio appropriate for your character, with a pre-populated list of words or phrases that could be selected. I know we already have a pretty noisy game, so it would need to have a very limited range, but it could be a great addition if done right.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

19 hours ago, Luminara said:

Nipples.

I remember when the game launched and we had nipples....

I always thought it would be interesting to be able to use our powers in different ways, other than combat. Let my super strength guy break down a wall that no one else can. Let me fly up and save a cat from a tree. Let me use my psychic powers to calm an angry crowd. Etc.

Edited by Arnabas

20 hours ago, Luminara said:

Nipples.

I don't know how well it works but there is a mod for up to complete nudity. It is on CoH Modder if you are really interested. It's not something I feel a need for in game but if that's what you want, don't let your dreams be dreams.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

Yes. You *can* love something and miss something and still want to make it better or play "what if" with it. I don't see what's hard to understand about that.

My linguistics professor used to say "If it's not changing it's dead." And that's true of so many things.

12 hours ago, TalynDerre said:

I'd love to see the city transform based on my character's actions - a game-wide, aggressive implementation of the phasing mechanism.  Hazard zones would remain hazardous, of course, but I'd love to be able to walk through neighborhoods where I've actually 'improved' things for the people who live there.

Or, redside, where I take out a gang boss and now his minions are neutral to me and acknowledge that I'm a big man on campus in their territory.

Also, I'd love implemented weather effects and to have the city change with the seasons.  I know it's a lot of work for basically no gameplay change, but seeing snow on the ground in the winter makes the game world seem so much more alive!

Early issues had snow on the ground and the lakes etc frozen over during winter.  I miss that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like the different servers to be different cities.  So you're on the Chicago server and you get a lead that the villain you're in pursuit of has gone to New York.  You transfer to the NY server (or contact the NY branch of your SG/Coalition) to get the next clue.  This is playing off the "more investigative" wishes from the OP.

I also like different powers that can be selected at the same tier, like Master Brawler vs Practiced Brawler.

Different effects/animations/emanation points chosen as options for each power, along with the colors and brightness of effects.

The reason this game is so beloved by so many is, in a word, configurability.  You get to pick your appearance (and it's not tied to your powers/abilities), you're not locked into the sucktastic Trinity, so many ATs and each AT has so many powersets, etc, etc, ,etc.

So many possibilities and all some people can come up with are "nipples".  What's next, ball gags for a costume part?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

If I wanted to play SWTOR, I'd play SWTOR.  Seriously, the lack of a complex and detailed crafting system is one of the draws of CoH.  And adding sidekicks, etc., is another unnecessary complexity.

I stand by my previous statement.  I'm glad CoH was made when it was, and I fear what it would have been were it made now.  It was very much a product of its time, and that product has proven to be beloved and cherished, and remains entertaining to this day.  Games designed this day and age, MMOs in particular, lack that sort of longevity.

You may not have to wait to see what it would look like designed in the current MMO development environment, IF CoT actually works out.....

2 minutes ago, Col. Kernel said:

So many possibilities and all some people can come up with are "nipples".  What's next, ball gags for a costume part?

As long as they're available to everyone, rather than restricted so one third the characters can't have them, sure.  Gag away.

• Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

22 hours ago, Thrythlind said:

what would you like to see.

Homecoming still up and running.

• Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

44 minutes ago, Col. Kernel said:

Early issues had snow on the ground and the lakes etc frozen over during winter.  I miss that.

When that happened, I logged not several characters that were stuck in the lake in Atlas Park.

Pretty soon the /stuck command was widely known.

There is Frozen world place that is open all year long with an ice pond. I'm not talking about the ski lodge.

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, Grayfigure said:

You may not have to wait to see what it would look like designed in the current MMO development environment, IF CoT actually works out.....

Last time I logged on to CoT boards (admittedly several years ago) they were so toxic that I have less than zero desire to return.

If that's the nature of their user community then the won't be anything at all like CoH was/is.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

There is Frozen world place that is open all year long

Yeah, but it's been decades since anyone's visited my bed, so there's not much point advertising now.

• Haha 2

On 7/28/2021 at 6:38 PM, Hew said:

RMT

The National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers?

(Seriously, I dont know what you mean, so I googled it and this was the first page of results. What do you mean by RMT?)

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

1 minute ago, Lunchmoney said:

The National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers?

(Seriously, I dont know what you mean, so I googled it and this was the first page of results. What do you mean by RMT?)

Real money transfer.

• Thumbs Up 1