If City of Heroes were remade entirely today...

Thrythlind

... what would you like to see.

Character creation updated to modern graphics is naturally one, motion capture is probably not feasible, but certainly some updated graphics quality. More variety of body types... non-binary etc.

On to other things:

More investigative / environmental mechanics... a lot of the original game was built from fighting as a base and a lot of other stuff is kind of tacked on... but it would be nice to do a lot of disaster rescues and the like.

More modular power selection.

For example, have 2-3 options for each tier so that character designs end up feeling a bit less cookie cutter.
Have a separate list of options for powers that are more strictly associated with investigative/exploration mechanics. For example, maybe someone with Time Manipulation would have extra time on timed-missions and such.

As a note, any investigative/exploration/rescue/other non-combat mission should be able to be completed without said powers, but said powers would make them easier or present alternate story beats. or just be cool.

Some combat powers would have some investigative/environmental missions (melt debris, for instance) and vice-versa, but not so common.

Updated base-building (of course)

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nobody would play it. It would be RMT all the things, with massive dependency on endless DLC, buggy to no end, and be a hollow experience.

Oh wait, I dont think thats what you meant.

• Like 3

I think the state of video games in general has changed since this game came out. The market principles behind MMOs, and really the entire genre of video games has evolved in to a platform driven by micro transactions and release then fix as it goes - at least for major studios. Then again, smaller developers have way more freedom in how they market and distribute their products, so its not so bad news. 

As to your question though, I'd want to see scaling texture resolution and really just an added capacity to support and develop mods. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

26 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Nipples.

This is just silly. There's way too much of this that's freely available on the internet for the devs to remove the family friendly rating of City of Heroes.

Want to see more of this? Just do a google search.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 minute ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

This is just silly. There's way too much of this that's freely available on the internet for the devs to remove the family friendly rating of City of Heroes.

This isn't a question about what we want added to the existing game.  This is a question about what we'd want if the game were being created today.  As such, there's no rating to be removed, since the game in question hasn't been completed or released yet.  Read the thread title.  Read the first post.

Also, nipples are nipples.  Dude nipples, lady nipples, they're biologically identical, nothing more than organic straws.  Labeling one gender's straws as "unfriendly" is parochial; doing so while giving a pass to the other gender's is hypocritical.

Don't make me say something the mods will regret.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

4 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Dude nipples, lady nipples, they're biologically identical, nothing more than organic straws.  Labeling one gender's straws as "unfriendly" is parochial; doing so while giving a pass to the other gender's is hypocritical.

You are absolutely correct about that and I agree. However, it doesn't matter what we think, it matters what society at large thinks. There is still a large majority of the planet that thinks that seeing a female nipple will somehow harm children and cause their society to collapse.

As for you saying something that the mods will regret, feel free. I've had drill instructors yell at me. Nothing that you can say is going to make me bat an eye. And at this point I probably deserve it for something that I've said or done anyway.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, Ironblade said:

I would like the ability to close opened windows by hitting 'Escape'.  Every modern game has this capability.

And keyboard options for things, instead of the mouse-centric interface. Yes, it works, but I'd like to be able to hit space for the default choice or 'y' and 'n' and the like for dialogs. There are bind workarounds, but they're clunky.

• Like 1

Vehicle options as a travel power

Updated profession system that adds to the crafting/mission component.  (think of it as having a dual identity costume where you aren't recognized and pick up tips, missions, or scavenge for crafting materials.)

Apartments/Housing/Secret lairs aside from bases. (I can have my batcave as well as zone into the JLA Watchtower dammit!)

Nemesis and Sidekick (pet) options ala the SWTOR MMO: You can design their costumes, origins and maybe power sets... But there's a specific storyline that carries your character through the game. Your sidekick can run side missions or tasks for you. They can switch between tanking, buffing, healing,. 

Major costume upgrade that gives more options to color and accessories. Literally the only thing i liked about Champions online.

MOAR POWERZ and Epic Power Pool options. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

15 minutes ago, nyhm said:

Updated profession system that adds to the crafting/mission component.  (think of it as having a dual identity costume where you aren't recognized and pick up tips, missions, or scavenge for crafting materials.)

Nemesis and Sidekick (pet) options ala the SWTOR MMO: You can design their costumes, origins and maybe power sets... But there's a specific storyline that carries your character through the game. Your sidekick can run side missions or tasks for you. They can switch between tanking, buffing, healing,. 

If I wanted to play SWTOR, I'd play SWTOR.  Seriously, the lack of a complex and detailed crafting system is one of the draws of CoH.  And adding sidekicks, etc., is another unnecessary complexity.

I stand by my previous statement.  I'm glad CoH was made when it was, and I fear what it would have been were it made now.  It was very much a product of its time, and that product has proven to be beloved and cherished, and remains entertaining to this day.  Games designed this day and age, MMOs in particular, lack that sort of longevity.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would like the ability to build my character on my phone, then upload the build into the game.

• Like 2
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

I don't think i'd change all that much.  Obviously an updated graphics engine that utilizes more cores and GPU.  I'd even try to have a legacy graphics option to it'd look exactly like it is now (or as close as we could come).  I'd try to make as much of Paragon one loading zone without war walls.  Yeah yeah but you know as well as I the reason for the war walls is technology and coding issues.  They fit a rather decent story around it and kudos to them, but I'd want paragon and the rogue isles try to feel like a big city instead of smaller maps.

Flowing hair, facial animations, weather would be part of the new engine too.  I'd add a housing system separate from the bases.  Basically there'd be 3 or 4 apartment floorplan templates you could buy and decorate.  No SG needed.  The entrance to which would be an existing building in Paragon or Rogue Isles or Croatoa.

I think lastly I would add zone events more subtle than the rikti invasion.  Basically on occasion the crime element in a paragon zone or rebel element in Praetoria or say, longbow activity would increase in a given zone.  To combat this (or aid this if you're so inclined) you would need to fight the mobs on the street - you would be level scaled for this.  Fight them off and the baddies go away for a while.  Do nothing and the invasion would increase leading to some zone-wide penalties - including instanced missions in that zone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

There is still a large majority of the planet that thinks that seeing a female nipple will somehow harm children and cause their society to collapse.

The irony being how many children would have died without them. 

• Haha 3