A Little Overwhelmed: Starting New From Way, Way Back in the Day

Koven

43 minutes ago, dtj714 said:

Don’t think it’s been mentioned yet, but this project has a customized wiki. Just google Homecoming COH wiki. *Most* of it has been brought in-line with the changes here. Should be a good resource. 

And to ad lib there's City of Data v2.0 for details behind the powers.

https://cod.uberguy.net/

• Thumbs Up 1

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

Welcome back to the game!

2 hours ago, Koven said:

Thanks for letting me know! So, are tankers still the best at "survival" in a solo situation? They were for a little while back when I used to play.

Tankers are still the toughest archetype. With the tanker changes on Homecoming, they also do good AoE damage. They're fun to solo if you're okay with going a bit slower than other ATs. You'll probably want to choose the difficulty setting that has archvillains appear as elite bosses while solo. 

Some players have expectations of tankers that they wouldn't have of brutes or scrappers. In team play, tankers are expected to be the first to jump into a group of enemies (to take the "alpha strike") and to stay with the main group of players. If you think you may want to wander off by yourself while playing on a team, or if your reaction time is slow (like mine!) you may prefer playing a brute or a scrapper.

The choice of armor is probably more important than the choice of attack set for melee toons. Anything can work, and there are many good options, but here are some suggestions.

• For tankers: Of the defense-based or layered armor sets, Invulnerability is probably the toughest set with a self-heal. It is beginner-friendly, but it will also do well in advanced content. If you are taking a secondary with a self-heal (like Dark Melee or Radiation Melee), Shield Defense is also worth considering. It doesn't have a self-heal, but it is very tough and will boost your damage. Of the resistance-based sets, Radiation Armor has self-heals and is widely considered top-tier. I would steer clear of Stone Armor for quality of life reasons. I would also steer clear of Dark Armor for your first toon on Homecoming. It is very good but requires investment.
  • For brutes: Energy Aura is available for brutes but not for tankers. It has a self-heal and is excellent all-around. Invulnerability and Radiation Armor are also very good choices. Fiery Aura is the standard pick for fire farmers.
  • For scrappers: Not all scrapper armors have taunt auras. Taunt auras make it easier to fight large groups and AVs, since they keep enemies from running away. Invulnerability, Radiation, Bio, and Shield have strong taunt auras. Energy Aura and Willpower have weak taunt auras. The other armor sets have no taunt auras. Bio is popular because of the damage boost it provides. I've never played it for aesthetic reasons. Energy Aura, Invulnerability, and Shield (paired with a self-healing primary) are all great choices. If you want to play Radiation Armor, I'd recommend rolling a tanker or a brute, since scrappers have a lower resistance cap.  

If you wanted to play a ranged toon, think about a Time/[X] defender or an [X]/Time corruptor. Farsight makes it easy to get softcapped defenses.

Edited by Bastille Boy
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back to the fold, prodigal lost sheep.

I would recommend a Fire/Ice Melee Tanker. I'll be re-making a post/guide about it since I feel it's the best starter character for a new player to get used to the game. You have a guide in my signature with lots of information that is useful including money making.

Community is friendly and the forum people will walk over themselves trying to help or inform so don't hold back and when in doubt just ask for help.

I would definitely not move into farming straight away because money is not hard to make and it would be sad to just lock yourself up in one map that is then repeated ad nauseum.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Xenosone said:

When you have 1 million infamy saved up try to avoid the rocket board because its just too cool and makes everything else pale in comparison. 

Welcome home.

The rocket board is totally the bomb, however it detoggles everything, it would be the bomb and a half if that weren't the case. 😉

1 minute ago, momentarygrace said:

The rocket board is totally the bomb, however it detoggles everything, it would be the bomb and a half if that weren't the case. 😉

It doesn't do that any more.  It applies Only Affecting Self now, your toggles aren't shut off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

5 hours ago, Luminara said:

I'm using rocket boards as the base currency unit from now on.  It's giving me a serious giggle fit.

So how many rocket boards do you have saved up? Get that rocket board(epeen) rivalry going amongst the poors 😹

Welcome Home!

Think it's been pretty well covered already but:

• Forums and specifically the various Archetype sub-forums are a great place to ask about the various ATs (powers, strengths and weaknesses, etc..)
  • Vidiot Maps, City of Data and the HCwiki are great resources out of game. 
  • In game there's the Help channel and some players in-game avatars may display "Helper" (as I recall) and specifically like to be helpful.

Sounds like you may have left well before City of Villains was released so yes there's a whole bunch of new stuff indeed.  Just jump in you've 1000 character slots per server.  Moving between servers is very very easy compared to when you were playing (I don't even know if you could back then) and there's 5 servers (each with 1000 slots) so good luck filling them up.  

Basically if you have a question ask we're all a helpful bunch overall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Speaking of which, check out the link in my signature if you want a little start-up cash.

You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman! I'll be sending you an email shortly! haha

12 hours ago, Bastille Boy said:

Welcome back to the game!

Tankers are still the toughest archetype. With the tanker changes on Homecoming, they also do good AoE damage. They're fun to solo if you're okay with going a bit slower than other ATs. You'll probably want to choose the difficulty setting that has archvillains appear as elite bosses while solo. 

Some players have expectations of tankers that they wouldn't have of brutes or scrappers. In team play, tankers are expected to be the first to jump into a group of enemies (to take the "alpha strike") and to stay with the main group of players. If you think you may want to wander off by yourself while playing on a team, or if your reaction time is slow (like mine!) you may prefer playing a brute or a scrapper.

The choice of armor is probably more important than the choice of attack set for melee toons. Anything can work, and there are many good options, but here are some suggestions.

• For tankers: Of the defense-based or layered armor sets, Invulnerability is probably the toughest set with a self-heal. It is beginner-friendly, but it will also do well in advanced content. If you are taking a secondary with a self-heal (like Dark Melee or Radiation Melee), Shield Defense is also worth considering. It doesn't have a self-heal, but it is very tough and will boost your damage. Of the resistance-based sets, Radiation Armor has self-heals and is widely considered top-tier. I would steer clear of Stone Armor for quality of life reasons. I would also steer clear of Dark Armor for your first toon on Homecoming. It is very good but requires investment.
  • For brutes: Energy Aura is available for brutes but not for tankers. It has a self-heal and is excellent all-around. Invulnerability and Radiation Armor are also very good choices. Fiery Aura is the standard pick for fire farmers.
  • For scrappers: Not all scrapper armors have taunt auras. Taunt auras make it easier to fight large groups and AVs, since they keep enemies from running away. Invulnerability, Radiation, Bio, and Shield have strong taunt auras. Energy Aura and Willpower have weak taunt auras. The other armor sets have no taunt auras. Bio is popular because of the damage boost it provides. I've never played it for aesthetic reasons. Energy Aura, Invulnerability, and Shield (paired with a self-healing primary) are all great choices. If you want to play Radiation Armor, I'd recommend rolling a tanker or a brute, since scrappers have a lower resistance cap.  

If you wanted to play a ranged toon, think about a Time/[X] defender or an [X]/Time corruptor. Farsight makes it easy to get softcapped defenses.

Awesome info, and so greatly appreciated! I made a Something/Time Corrupter, actually. I don't remember the first power. It felt weak to me, so I didn't play more than a couple of levels. I'm sure it gets way better, though. I also made a Bio/Spines tanker (based on someone's suggestion). It does feel slow, but I feel like I can take a beating, even at level 10. I'm sure I'll make dozens of different characters until I find something that really feels great, though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sovera said:

Welcome back to the fold, prodigal lost sheep.

I would recommend a Fire/Ice Melee Tanker. I'll be re-making a post/guide about it since I feel it's the best starter character for a new player to get used to the game. You have a guide in my signature with lots of information that is useful including money making.

Community is friendly and the forum people will walk over themselves trying to help or inform so don't hold back and when in doubt just ask for help.

I would definitely not move into farming straight away because money is not hard to make and it would be sad to just lock yourself up in one map that is then repeated ad nauseum.

Good info to have, and I would love to see the guide when you remake it. I did make a Bio/Spines Tanker. Not sure how I'm liking it so far (only level 10), but I seem to survive most things so far. I'm sure every build survives most things at this level, though, so that isn't likely saying much. haha

4 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Welcome Home!

Think it's been pretty well covered already but:

• Forums and specifically the various Archetype sub-forums are a great place to ask about the various ATs (powers, strengths and weaknesses, etc..)
  • Vidiot Maps, City of Data and the HCwiki are great resources out of game. 
  • In game there's the Help channel and some players in-game avatars may display "Helper" (as I recall) and specifically like to be helpful.

Sounds like you may have left well before City of Villains was released so yes there's a whole bunch of new stuff indeed.  Just jump in you've 1000 character slots per server.  Moving between servers is very very easy compared to when you were playing (I don't even know if you could back then) and there's 5 servers (each with 1000 slots) so good luck filling them up.  

Basically if you have a question ask we're all a helpful bunch overall.

Awesome! Thank you so much! Really loving the community so far. Haven't come across any toxicity in game chat, either. Good stuff!

1 minute ago, Koven said:

Good info to have, and I would love to see the guide when you remake it. I did make a Bio/Spines Tanker. Not sure how I'm liking it so far (only level 10), but I seem to survive most things so far. I'm sure every build survives most things at this level, though, so that isn't likely saying much. haha

I actually already did. It starts in the first post of the Brunker topic in the signature. I remade the leveling build to be more new player friendly.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Sovera said:

I actually already did. It starts in the first post of the Brunker topic in the signature. I remade the leveling build to be more new player friendly.

Awesome, I'll give it a look after my afternoon nap here! haha

Thanks so much!

Welcome home. As a returning vet myself I can understand that overwhelming feeling after being away so long. Take your time do a little research and enjoy the noob feeling again. You shouldn’t worry about farming and rushing into a super group yet, you want to get your footings first. When joining a super group, I would suggest you consider the size and how active the SG is. A larger SG with active players will be a greater source of help and resources for a new player than a small or large inactive one. 

• Thanks 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

8 hours ago, Koven said:

Awesome info, and so greatly appreciated! I made a Something/Time Corrupter, actually. I don't remember the first power. It felt weak to me, so I didn't play more than a couple of levels. I'm sure it gets way better, though. I also made a Bio/Spines tanker (based on someone's suggestion). It does feel slow, but I feel like I can take a beating, even at level 10. I'm sure I'll make dozens of different characters until I find something that really feels great, though.

Corruptors and Defenders are going to feel weak while soloing the early levels. They become more powerful as you level up. The defining power for Time Manipulation comes at level 18 for defenders and level 28 for corruptors. It also matters what primary you take. Fire has the best damage but no secondary effects. Sonic has the worst damage but powerful secondary effects (-resistance debuffs) which enhance teammates' damage.

A Bio/Spines tanker is not a bad choice for exploring the early game solo. If you want to go a little faster while taking some risks, give a scrapper or a brute a try.

Enjoy your 1000 character slots!

• Thanks 1