So, just saw Free Guy.

Was a good movie!  As ever, Ryan's a darling.  A true Canadian treasure!

Pretty good messaging too, for the most part.

Struck a few nerves (in a good way) regarding game development and shutting down an MMO (sound familiar, anyone?).

Also struck a nerve or two in a less-than-good way here and there, but not enough to totally undermine the good elements.

It's kind of funny . . . I was wrestling with making a ranty/thesis'y post in the forums a few weeks ago, but I never got around to it.  If I were to post it now, though, I think this movie might slightly undermine the foundation of that post's central message.  So, I'll put it on hold for a while longer, and maybe try to rework the message so it won't sound so echo'y of the core message from Free Guy.

In short . . . I recommend it to anyone who knows that:  It's never just a game.

*looks toward all those fellow players who were /em holdtorch'ing back in 2012*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just returned from seeing "Free Guy" (2021) in 3D.  It's good.  It's very good.

Avoid any source of spoilers.  Don't even watch the trailers.  Just go see this film.  Preferably in 3D.  There's a lot of fantastic scenes.  The overall story isn't too bad either.

Imagine an NPC in a MMO became self-aware, but only with the knowledge they have to do their role in the game.  But they start becoming aware of more.  Ryan Renolds is that NPC.  And it's fantastic.  And I don't want to tell you any more because there are so many fantastic scenes that would be so easy to spoil.  It's definitely good enough to see.

One scene really really hit me in the feels.  In a way few films have.  And I can't remember which one!?!  I recall the amazing scenes I do remember and it's not them.  I can even vaguely recall the visuals, but not the dialogue.  Damnation!!!

I'll have to see it again.

See this film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And I suddenly remember what hit me in the feels. If you're a fan of a certain television show, you'll know it when you see it.    😞

6 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

But yeah . . . I figure anyone who has read this thread up to this point . . . spoilers will follow!

Please hold off on spoilers for a while, preferably a few weeks.  There's so many great scenes in this film that can be so easily spoiled.  I'd prefer if people weren't even tempted by the presence of spoilers, especially as so many will be reluctant to go to the cinéma.

Edited by Jacke

• 2 weeks later
On 8/29/2021 at 7:48 AM, krj12 said:

Good movie up to the point they inserted the "white privilege" crap.  Nice way to alienate half of your potential audience.

Normally I'd be the first person to agree with you on this. However, it was a single throw away line, said just once, and it wasn't even clear if they were being serious or just joking.

Anyway, I didn't even know about this movie until I saw this thread. My teenagers and I, all gamers, went and saw it, and we loved it. So thank you @GraspingVileTerror for letting me know that this movie existed.

I heartily recommend this movie to gamers everywhere!

• Thanks 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

2 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I heartily recommend this movie to gamers everywhere!

Glad you enjoyed the film.

About that line in your sig, @PeregrineFalcon:

If you'd rather be Lame-O the Wonder Clown instead of Homelander then you're playing the wrong game.

There's one of the members of my gaming guild, Repeat Offenders, who named his AR/Dev Blaster "Blamo the Clown".  He--like AR/Dev--is awesome. 🙂

• Haha 1

Wow.

A... friend of mine just saw it and... there were laughs, there were way too many tears, there was a feeling of redemption for a certain game's sudden axing.

Also,

Spoiler

Franchise power, beeyotch!

And a very timely cameo!

My friend can't wait for the blu-ray, there were probably way too many easter eggs to count.

If my friend can be trusted (and he has never been wrong -- he thought he was once, but it turned out he was right all along) it's a serious must-see.

Amazing how much fun a well-placed musical sting can be.

TL;DR:

Go see this movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• 4 weeks later